Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times

Advertisements

So I'm in the process of losing 50 pounds at the age of 40. I recently (last year) lost 25 (then promptly gained it back after a series of unfortunate events - injury, family crisis, travel) and I didn't have any issues with leftover skin and whatnot. But I'm aiming to lose 50 this time around and I am unlikely to see a repeat of the issues that caused me to regain the weight last time.

I'm 40, but my skin is fairly youthful given my age - despite a big streak of gray hair, people regularly think I'm 10 years younger than I am. It's like the one thing I've got going for me appearance-wise, lol. Will losing 50 pounds cause me any issues in terms of saggy or excess skin?

I actually kind of like my current fatness as I wear it pretty well, but for health reasons, I want to get rid of the extra pounds. I'm not very physically active right now due to a sprained ankle that is taking forever to heal (part of the reason I gained the weight back to begin with), but I intend to change that. Also, I know that with 50 fewer pounds, I will have an easier time being active and the ankle will be less stressed. I love to run, and I really miss it.

I have no intention of having plastic surgery to remove excess skin, but I really don't want to look like I've just deflated either. And how much of that extra skin issue can be addressed through exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So I'm in the process of losing 50 pounds at the age of 40. I recently (last year) lost 25 (then promptly gained it back after a series of unfortunate events - injury, family crisis, travel) and I didn't have any issues with leftover skin and whatnot. But I'm aiming to lose 50 this time around and I am unlikely to see a repeat of the issues that caused me to regain the weight last time.

I'm 40, but my skin is fairly youthful given my age - despite a big streak of gray hair, people regularly think I'm 10 years younger than I am. It's like the one thing I've got going for me appearance-wise, lol. Will losing 50 pounds cause me any issues in terms of saggy or excess skin?

I actually kind of like my current fatness as I wear it pretty well, but for health reasons, I want to get rid of the extra pounds. I'm not very physically active right now due to a sprained ankle that is taking forever to heal (part of the reason I gained the weight back to begin with), but I intend to change that. Also, I know that with 50 fewer pounds, I will have an easier time being active and the ankle will be less stressed. I love to run, and I really miss it.

I have no intention of having plastic surgery to remove excess skin, but I really don't want to look like I've just deflated either. And how much of that extra skin issue can be addressed through exercise?
You may not have as much leftover skin as you imagine. Forty is still not that old and there is still some resiliency in our skin. I recommend doing weight training and even with your bum ankle you can do some seated stuff. If you lose at a normal pace 1 to 2 pounds a week you should be fine.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
I lost 60 lbs. For the most part, my skin returned to its pre-obese state but I do have excess skin in the lower ab region. I work out, including doing crunches, so there's some muscle definition there, but the skin remains despite my best efforts. Ive also had two kids, fwiw. I'd say 90% of the cellulite in my legs has smoothed out but there is a dimple here and there. Again, working out shows my muscle definition, but the dimple is still there.

I strength train four times per week and that has helped with my arms in particular. I don't have bat wings/saggy triceps that still remain after a large weight loss. in fact I have a very defined upper body so that no one would believe that I was ever 60 lbs overweight.

The area that looks "deflated" is the breast area. My body basically consumed all of the fat inside my breasts when I lost weight so that my breasts are basically just saggy loose skin with no substance. Courtesy of bench press, I am showing chest definition but that does little to help that issue. Plastic surgery would be the only means of fixing that. Same with the lower abs. Exercise helps to an extent, but sometimes it just comes down to "it is what it is".

Personally, I've learned to accept myself as I am. Losing a significant amount of weight is a big deal period. You may not get that perfect 10 body and that's ok. I'm just glad to be rid of those pounds, so I'll take what I can get.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I lost 60 lbs. For the most part, my skin returned to its pre-obese state but I do have excess skin in the lower ab region. I work out, including doing crunches, so there's some muscle definition there, but the skin remains despite my best efforts. Ive also had two kids, fwiw. I'd say 90% of the cellulite in my legs has smoothed out but there is a dimple here and there. Again, working out shows my muscle definition, but the dimple is still there.

I strength train four times per week and that has helped with my arms in particular. I don't have bat wings/saggy triceps that still remain after a large weight loss. in fact I have a very defined upper body so that no one would believe that I was ever 60 lbs overweight.

The area that looks "deflated" is the breast area. My body basically consumed all of the fat inside my breasts when I lost weight so that my breasts are basically just saggy loose skin with no substance. Courtesy of bench press, I am showing chest definition but that does little to help that issue. Plastic surgery would be the only means of fixing that. Same with the lower abs. Exercise helps to an extent, but sometimes it just comes down to "it is what it is".

Personally, I've learned to accept myself as I am. Losing a significant amount of weight is a big deal period. You may not get that perfect 10 body and that's ok. I'm just glad to be rid of those pounds, so I'll take what I can get.
Thanks for this information. I'm wondering if the weight loss was what affected your breasts or the fact that you had two kids and then lost the weight. Pregnancy plays havoc on your body from what I can tell - I'm amazed by my friends who just seem to snap back into their former bodies and the drive and discipline that allows them to do that. You basically tear yourself apart to bring life into the world and then you're faced with all this work to get back to a semblance of your old self.

But with a risk of diabetes in my family, this is definitely less about appearance and more about health and longevity for me. And honestly, as I age, the fatness will no longer be a good look for me once I lose my buoyancy anyway. Cellulite has never been a concern for me - I've seen Iron Man competitors who have it, lol.

Strength training seems to be the way to go and it's the one thing I really hate doing. The gym just bores the bejesus out of me. Running is kind of fun and meditative for me though. Well, once I'm down to the acceptable weight, I guess I'll get a few sessions with a trainer to work on my problem areas and develop an exercise plan. This is hugely helpful!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Thanks for this information. I'm wondering if the weight loss was what affected your breasts or the fact that you had two kids and then lost the weight. Pregnancy plays havoc on your body from what I can tell - I'm amazed by my friends who just seem to snap back into their former bodies and the drive and discipline that allows them to do that. You basically tear yourself apart to bring life into the world and then you're faced with all this work to get back to a semblance of your old self.

But with a risk of diabetes in my family, this is definitely less about appearance and more about health and longevity for me. And honestly, as I age, the fatness will no longer be a good look for me once I lose my buoyancy anyway. Cellulite has never been a concern for me - I've seen Iron Man competitors who have it, lol.

Strength training seems to be the way to go and it's the one thing I really hate doing. The gym just bores the bejesus out of me. Running is kind of fun and meditative for me though. Well, once I'm down to the acceptable weight, I guess I'll get a few sessions with a trainer to work on my problem areas and develop an exercise plan. This is hugely helpful!
You are already at an acceptable weight to work out with weights and a trainer. After your ankle heals you should get right in there and start working out. Do you have access to a gym? There are a lot of classes that incorporate strength and they can be more fun than doing it on your own.
Don't put off what could be helping you right now. It makes zero sense to wait.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:

It's probably a bit of both - I was never super well endowed to begin with, but now I'm a little over an A cup. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and simply being fat inflated them to over a D, so I guess they got stretched out. When I lost the weight/fat, there was nothing really left except for the stretched skin.

Pregnancy did play havoc on my body as I wasn't overweight before I had kids. However, I didn't do the work to get the weight off once I had the baby so that was on me. I'm 5'10, 160, and firm. Part of your weight loss journey is acceptance. I am not going to be the same weight as I was in my 20s/early 30s. I won't have a hard body since I did allow myself to get really overweight. But I accept who I am and what I've done. I've lost 60 hard-fought pounds. I lift weights and improved my overall fitness. I'm not a size 4 but I don't care...I work very hard to be an 8/10 (down from 18). No one can take that away from me. most importantly, I don't have the mentality of my former overweight self. My entire lifestyle changed and for me that's a win.

I think strength training is very important before you even reach your goal. Let me tell you why - it makes you appear more firm and leaner than your actual weight. You feel better as you watch your strength increase. Yes cardio helps burn the fat but strength training helps with composition. Just doing cardio isn't going to give you the best results.

There's also no such thing called spot reduction. As mentioned, there are some parts of my body where the fat just sticks, though obviously there's not a ton of it anymore. All of the training in world can't really fix my "problem areas" so I just live with them and continue to do my training regimen. Besides, that's what clothing is for, to help with "problem areas".

Old 04-12-2017, 04:16 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
The gym just bores the bejesus out of me. Running is kind of fun and meditative for me though. Well, once I'm down to the acceptable weight, I guess I'll get a few sessions with a trainer to work on my problem areas and develop an exercise plan. This is hugely helpful!
I can't stand gyms, I get outside in the fresh air and sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss