Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 AM

689 posts, read 978,972 times

Advertisements

I've been doing Weight Watchers on and off since I was 19 years old (many, many moons ago) and I've always been successful - though I'm a slow loser. I'm, basically, a healthy eater but I tend to go up and down about 15-20 pounds and now it's time to give it another go around. I liked the points and points plus programs but I'm reading online that the new Smart Points program is frustrating for lots of people because it has changed point values, considerably, making the program more restrictive, less flexible, protein focused, and with added penalties for eating carbs.

Just wondering, has anyone tried the new program and are you finding it (relatively) easy to follow? Would love to get some opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 10:14 AM

714 posts, read 586,059 times
I am doing the smart points online and I like it. I feel like it's easier to follow. From what I see, it attaches a higher point value with added sugars.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Glad to hear that you're finding it easy to follow. I'm going in to reactivate my lifetime status and get the new program tomorrow, so I'll learn more then. I can see why they added more point value to sugar since I always felt that it's a trigger for many people and can really derail success. Very glad to see that fruit is still free, since that's my primary sweet food now and especially wonderful during the summer months.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 PM

206 posts, read 216,804 times
I've just put myself back on WW and Smart Points and it's working fine - 5.2 pounds down in two weeks. Other people are having success with it too. They are indeed assigning a bit more points to grains and sugars in an attempt to get people to eat more produce, proteins, a little bit of fat, things like that. I eat grains every day and it's still working for me. You can always follow the Points Plus program if you find it's best for you, just be sure that whatever calculator/apps you are using go with whichever plan you decide to use. Go ahead and give Smart Points a try. Mine points are 30/daily and 28/weekly.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:31 PM

3,673 posts, read 6,597,969 times
My wife is a member. For me, it appears to be simplified calorie counting, which I've been successful with. However she does better with their simplified system and likes how they allow for the surplus weekly points for those days where she just needs to go a little crazy. Her favorite part of the program is the weekly weigh-in; she loves the people who attend the meeting.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM

NYC2RDU - they use the points system because a calorie is not a calorie. 100 calories for a meat and a veg would have different nutritional information for the body than a 100-calorie cookie, for example, and they take that into account. Meetings are so beneficial - I love mine. How is your wife doing on the program?

Old 07-14-2017, 08:23 PM

3,673 posts, read 6,597,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish437 View Post
NYC2RDU - they use the points system because a calorie is not a calorie. 100 calories for a meat and a veg would have different nutritional information for the body than a 100-calorie cookie, for example, and they take that into account. Meetings are so beneficial - I love mine. How is your wife doing on the program?
When she's consistent and faithful to the program, she does really well. Much of the time she's partially faithful to the program and as a result tends not to lose, but also tends not to gain. She was a lifelong skinny person until about ten years ago when, due to a combination of health and related treatment options, gained about forty pounds.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:48 PM

There is a group on FB for WW people 50 and over. If your wife qualifies for that age group, I could send you the link to it. It's a very good group - very supportive and encouraging and lots of information.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 PM

Tish437 can you please post the link. I joined another WW FB group but it's not very active. I don't believe that a WW FB link is against CD rules is it?

Last edited by LaylaM; 07-14-2017 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Change of wording

Old 07-15-2017, 07:46 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to private message it to you. Do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss