Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times

Advertisements

A colleague's father is trying to win a bet with coworkers that he can lose 40 lbs by 8/31 (he started at 311 lbs). He's working out 3-4 hours a day and restricting calories to under 1,000 per day. In the first two weeks he's down 19 lbs.

I joked that at the rate he's going, he'll be able to lose the 40 lbs, regain it plus another 10 and than lose 50 lbs total, all within the next six weeks.

He's setting himself up for long term failure because no one with a job and a life can commit to working out that much, nor can they sustain a sub 1,000 calorie per day diet.

Don't give up eating taco's, just figure out how to eat less of them. Taco Bell offers lower calorie versions of many items; a soft taco al fresco is only 170 calories - you can eat three of them for dinner and still be under budget. Learn how to eat two slices of pizza instead of the entire pie (approximately 550-600 calories).

I went crazy yesterday and again today while enjoying a guys weekend, consuming a whopping (for me) total of calories. But my daily calories consumed average from Sunday-Saturday was 1,637, so I'm still under for the week by about 700. I had a decadent dish of ice cream, puh-lenty of beer, a big breakfast and pizza, and still managed to keep to my goals. I don't stress out over cheating, I just keep my numbers in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:28 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
A colleague's father is trying to win a bet with coworkers that he can lose 40 lbs by 8/31 (he started at 311 lbs). He's working out 3-4 hours a day and restricting calories to under 1,000 per day. In the first two weeks he's down 19 lbs.

I joked that at the rate he's going, he'll be able to lose the 40 lbs, regain it plus another 10 and than lose 50 lbs total, all within the next six weeks.

He's setting himself up for long term failure because no one with a job and a life can commit to working out that much, nor can they sustain a sub 1,000 calorie per day diet.

Don't give up eating taco's, just figure out how to eat less of them. Taco Bell offers lower calorie versions of many items; a soft taco al fresco is only 170 calories - you can eat three of them for dinner and still be under budget. Learn how to eat two slices of pizza instead of the entire pie (approximately 550-600 calories).

I went crazy yesterday and again today while enjoying a guys weekend, consuming a whopping (for me) total of calories. But my daily calories consumed average from Sunday-Saturday was 1,637, so I'm still under for the week by about 700. I had a decadent dish of ice cream, puh-lenty of beer, a big breakfast and pizza, and still managed to keep to my goals. I don't stress out over cheating, I just keep my numbers in mind.
Oh yeah, once I get a good deal of the extra weight off I'll start incorporating foods I like a little when I feel it wont do too much damage. At this beginning stage though I want to focus on losing quickly. Went to the store on Saturday to buy a few things and it struck me how foods I normally like and buy jumped off the shelves at me asking me to buy them. I just shook my head and said, "Absolutely not.". Ok, I didn't talk to the products, but it was hard resisting them that first store visit after starting my first ever diet.

Finished making another pitcher full of mostly vegetable smoothies a few minutes ago. Decided to add a couple cloves of garlic since they have such great health benefits. I'm pre-hypertension and that is one of the many benefits of garlic. Can definitely taste it, but knew I would. It's actually not overpowering so I'm able to drink it ok, and I can't really taste what I didn't like about the other blenders full of smoothies I made Saturday and Sunday, so that's a positive. Playing around with the 'recipe'.

Down to 304.2 this morning. In four days that's a 7.8 lb. loss. Wouldn't be surprised if it goes up a little tomorrow if I weigh myself. Had an omelet Monday, and Shredded Wheat this morning with 1% milk. On Sunday afternoon my body starting crashing hard from the diet change so I decided to eat solid foods the next day. Felt better after I did. So I'm not strictly doing a vegetable/fruit smoothie diet with just a little extra on the side, like Sardines and tuna fish, but what seems right as I go through this journey.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 AM

One week weigh in: 300.8 lbs., down 11.2 lbs. Not bad for the first week.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
One week weigh in: 300.8 lbs., down 11.2 lbs. Not bad for the first week.
That's wonderful!

Old 07-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's wonderful!
Thanks Kara. Such a long way to go but I am on the right track. Only 113.8 lbs. to go.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM

19 posts, read 15,143 times
You might find carbonated water helpful in kicking your Dr. Pepper addiction.

We were diet coke addicts around here until we decided to cut out pop completely. The thing we found that made it doable is getting a soda stream and carbonating our water. We discovered it was the bubbles we craved more than the actual taste of diet coke. Haven't had pop in the house in 3 years!

Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browny014 View Post

We were diet coke addicts around here until we decided to cut out pop completely. The thing we found that made it doable is getting a soda stream and carbonating our water. We discovered it was the bubbles we craved more than the actual taste of diet coke. Haven't had pop in the house in 3 years!
I second this. I buy flavored seltzer water. No calories and no added artificial sweeteners (read the labels).

Old 07-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browny014 View Post

Interesting idea browny. Believe it or not, once I started drinking the vegetable smoothies my cravings for Dr. Pepper became non-existent. Hopefully that continues. So far have been happy drinking ice water, which during the summer is something I don't mind. Wintertime is when I loathe drinking much water. By that time though the Dr. Pepper habit will have been permanently crushed, as long as there are no setbacks.

Speaking of setbacks, I had a bad weekend diet-wise so wont be posting a weigh in number again until a week from Friday. Will get back on the right track tomorrow (Monday).

Old 07-23-2017, 01:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Speaking of setbacks, I had a bad weekend diet-wise so wont be posting a weigh in number again until a week from Friday. Will get back on the right track tomorrow (Monday).
Are you planning and prepping your meals in advance? That will help eliminate setbacks since all of your food will be cooked and ready to eat. This is the #1 thing people can do to stay on track.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you planning and prepping your meals in advance? That will help eliminate setbacks since all of your food will be cooked and ready to eat. This is the #1 thing people can do to stay on track.
The vegetables I purchased I broke down into servings and stored in the freezer. Because I didn't buy ground beef and Dr. Pepper I had extra money to spend so bought lunch meat, mozzarella cheese and other items. Lunch meat I wont freeze so it has to be eaten before going bad, which for me is within a couple of days because everything has to be super fresh for me or I get sick from it. Just ate too much this weekend, not necessarily bad things as I had been in the past. And I also wont cook things in advance, as I don't eat leftovers for the same reason. My freezer is full and I still have half of the lunchmeat and cheese left. Since I don't buy it often I wasn't visualizing how much 2 lbs. of turkey and 2lbs. of cheese would be, it just sounded like a good number as I told the clerk how much to slice.

My weakness while shopping came towards the end when I realized I had more in my budget than I expected and turned to things I like, or kind of like. A couple bottles of Kefir, and chocolate bars and Reese's cups. A little of that is ok, as long as I don't get carried away. And as long as I don't spend the weekend eating most of the goodies while I watch tv!

Well hey, Mondays are for getting serious and on track again as we start our work week, so a good time for the diet to kick back in. Will do my best to double or triple the amount of exercise I did the first week, and be more disciplined with what I eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss