Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times

Advertisements

Looking way ahead to maintenance, are you planning on living on processed food, take out, and lunch meat since cooking in advance will make you sick? Those things really aren't super fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Looking way ahead to maintenance, are you planning on living on processed food, take out, and lunch meat since cooking in advance will make you sick? Those things really aren't super fresh.
Yeah, I realize that charlygal. Being a single guy I admit I'm not the best when deciding what to buy for myself. Don't know why women seem so much better at it. At the time I thought buying a little lunchmeat would be better than ground beef for tacos or something else. I just over did the amount that I bought. In moderation I guess I probably will buy a little of the 'not so fresh' stuff in the future, but this week once the rest of the lunch meat is gone I'll concentrate on being strict with my diet again. May come sooner than later, earlier I had a turkey and cheese sandwich and while the meat was still good I don't think it will be for much longer. Could be almost $8 down the drain if I have to throw most of the rest out. The mozzarella will last though and I enjoy eating that by itself.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Right now, just get used to eating smaller portions, even if the food is processed. Try and go for the lower sodium versions since you are buying counter meats. You need to train your body to get used to less calories.

I believe in treating oneself to a daily dessert. If you are doing full calories stuff then ONE dessert and that's it. Reeses I think is close to 300 calories. OR you may want to consider lower calorie knock offs like Skinny Cow. They taste pretty good and have half the calories of the Reeses. The heavenly crisp bars are 110. One thing I find myself doing is scrutinizing my food and asking "Is it worth it?" when it comes to calories. Sometimes yes, I have to have the full calorie version but other times I find myself being content with lower calorie alternatives.

It doesn't hurt though to bank the extra calories and maybe have a cheat meal. Cheat meals (yea, yea I know the word "cheat" is debatable, but that's just a term that stuck) when used correctly can stop the bingeing and falling off the rails. But it requires strong self control. It may stop a cycle of "falling off" and restarting. As for exercise, start slowly. Going balls to the wall, while good in intention, can lead to too much too soon and worse, injury. Set small goals and work your way to bigger ones. i.e. "I will go to the gym one day per week". If you start to feel better, go two days. work your way up to the four-to-five day recommended amount. You don't need to work out five-seven days per week to see results.

There will be setbacks and plateaus. Remember this is a lifestyle change. That is why you need to come up with sustainable solutions based on your own needs, all I can do is offer you my own suggestions. It may or may not work for you. Keep it up.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you planning and prepping your meals in advance? That will help eliminate setbacks since all of your food will be cooked and ready to eat. This is the #1 thing people can do to stay on track.
Agreed. This is so important. It's gotta be my #1. It's very easily overlooked

Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Duplicate post. Can be deleted.

Last edited by Jame22; 08-05-2017 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Duplicate

Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM

I hung out with my friends from out of state last weekend and I had a few too many beers. Probably 15-20 over the course of the 4 day weekend along with hamburgers, tacos & BBQ...My motto has been that even if I take 18 steps back I'll just take 19 steps forward.

Yeah, I gained a couple pounds, but in the grand scheme of things that doesn't matter..at all. It might set me back MAYBE a week or two. I don't want to become dogmatic or eliminate any food groups forever. The key is long term- If you can't see yourself cutting out something long term then it's not worth the effort to try to diet. If I told myself that I could no longer drink beer, eat ice cream or have a slice of pizza every once in a while it probably would't go so well- I'm still eating much more nutritious foods most of the time. And with the exception of special occasions I've cut my beer & wine consumption down to about 1/3 of what it used to be.

Down 22 pounds Since May 13th, 43 to go. Still on schedule to meet my goal of 190 sometime this winter or early spring!

Last edited by Jame22; 08-05-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss