Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,990,109 times

Advertisements

Will be documenting my weight loss effort in this thread. Partly as an easy way to keep track of my week to week progress, and partly to encourage others to join in if they wish. You are welcome to share your new weight loss journey here too, or share your experiences if you've already gone down this road and been successful, or even if you tried and didn't accomplish your goals the first time around. I'll try to keep this updated once a week on Fridays after I take my weekly readings, weight, waist and neck.

Checked my weight this morning, 312 lbs. A couple days ago I checked my waistline, 58", and my neck which was 18.5". My goal is to get my weight down to 183-187 lbs. If I can do that my waistline will be fine, so no magic number there for me.

I decided to officially start the diet today despite the fact I don't have the types of foods here I'll be predominately using. This could be classified more as a pre-diet stage, but I wont get that technical about it. More than anything I want to concentrate on green vegetables, blending them into smoothies. It'll be impossible for me to only do that, so will also make meals out of cans of sardines, tuna fish, and small packets of salmon. Some mornings I'll make a couple eggs, possibly with bacon. I'm sure I'll play around with other food items. Have to keep some variety.

Things I'm doing away with: Dr. Pepper, snacking on sweets, and big meals like tacos and pizza. Those are pretty much what I eat that I shouldn't, and of course I've over done it on all of them, with the exception of pizza. I don't have it often but when I do I have too much.

This will be a real challenge for me. Being middle aged the metabolism has really slowed down, and I will have cravings for Dr. Pepper for at least a month. I know that from experience. And I'm very limited when it comes to exercising due to bad injuries that have not been taken care of, including a badly damaged left knee.

So this morning I started off on my journey. Can't say I was perfect, but overall did well. Who knows where this journey will be in 30 days, 60 days, etc. Since I'm putting this out there for the world to see I have to stay with it or look like a fool. Thanks anyway, don't want to embarrass myself, even online in front of people who've never met me in person.

Alright then, we'll see where I am weight-wise next Friday. Good luck to anyone else who tries this along with me or who has already started a diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:32 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,428,545 times
Awesome!!! Best of luck to you on your journey to improve yourself and your fitness!!!

Also, you can totally kick the soda habit thing. I grew up drinking soda and even into my teen years. I just stopped it cold turkey. I mean, I just said "No more soda" and just like that I was done with it. You can do it!!

Also, if you stick to your diet and you notice the scale not moving for a few weeks DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! You are getting healthier and making improvements by eating cleaner/healthier. The weight WILL eventually start coming off. Also, take a look at some of the body weight exercises that are YouTube. You can totally get a GREAT workout by just doing body weight exercises in your own home with ZERO equipment and even with injuries. Kaisaifit is one of my favorites.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times
Just wanted to give you some support. I weighed 300 lbs last year and I'm down 130 lbs. I have another 30 lbs until goal. Believe me when I say you can do it. You will have difficult moments, but you have to make a choice to stay on your program.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 904,177 times
I started at 254 and I'm headed down to 190. Right now I'm on pace to get there in early December, but as I get closer to my goal I'm expecting my weight loss to slow. Most likely I'll arrive in February or March.

I've had a lot of fun charting my progress and it really has kept me motivated. I'm down 19 pounds in a little over two months. If you're not charting your progress i'd highly recommend it. Honestly, the hardest part about weight loss is time. You just have to accept that it's going to take a long time. There are no shortcuts.

Had some beers & junk food over the 4th of July week. I rebounded pretty nicely and I'm feeling much better now. Back on track. I attached a screenshot of my progress below, I'm quite proud of it.

Attached Thumbnails
OhioJB's Diet-weightloss2017.png  

Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Nice replies, very supportive and great advice. Thank you.

And wow, those are some impressive weight loss accomplishments! 300 down to 130, and 254 down to 190, amazing. Hope you are both able to keep it off. I know that can be a challenge for some people.

I'm finally in the right frame of mind to attack my weight issue. I feel very positive I'll be successful in losing a lot of weight.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Will be documenting my weight loss effort in this thread. Partly as an easy way to keep track of my week to week progress, and partly to encourage others to join in if they wish. You are welcome to share your new weight loss journey here too, or share your experiences if you've already gone down this road and been successful, or even if you tried and didn't accomplish your goals the first time around. I'll try to keep this updated once a week on Fridays after I take my weekly readings, weight, waist and neck.

Checked my weight this morning, 312 lbs. A couple days ago I checked my waistline, 58", and my neck which was 18.5". My goal is to get my weight down to 183-187 lbs. If I can do that my waistline will be fine, so no magic number there for me.

I decided to officially start the diet today despite the fact I don't have the types of foods here I'll be predominately using. This could be classified more as a pre-diet stage, but I wont get that technical about it. More than anything I want to concentrate on green vegetables, blending them into smoothies. It'll be impossible for me to only do that, so will also make meals out of cans of sardines, tuna fish, and small packets of salmon. Some mornings I'll make a couple eggs, possibly with bacon. I'm sure I'll play around with other food items. Have to keep some variety.

Things I'm doing away with: Dr. Pepper, snacking on sweets, and big meals like tacos and pizza. Those are pretty much what I eat that I shouldn't, and of course I've over done it on all of them, with the exception of pizza. I don't have it often but when I do I have too much.

This will be a real challenge for me. Being middle aged the metabolism has really slowed down, and I will have cravings for Dr. Pepper for at least a month. I know that from experience. And I'm very limited when it comes to exercising due to bad injuries that have not been taken care of, including a badly damaged left knee.

So this morning I started off on my journey. Can't say I was perfect, but overall did well. Who knows where this journey will be in 30 days, 60 days, etc. Since I'm putting this out there for the world to see I have to stay with it or look like a fool. Thanks anyway, don't want to embarrass myself, even online in front of people who've never met me in person.

Alright then, we'll see where I am weight-wise next Friday. Good luck to anyone else who tries this along with me or who has already started a diet.
I wanted to point out that the difference between your metabolism at, say, 50 and, say, 21, is about 200 calories a day, less than a 10% difference. So it's a minor adjustment on that front.

Also, don't get too hung up on consuming green things. Produce is great, but not all produce is low calorie and what you really need to do is reduce calories in order to be successful. Eggs are great for breakfast and will be a huge help in making you successful (go with two, hard boiled when possible). Bacon isn't bad, but you have to eat more than is helpful in order to feel full.

Lastly, you don't need to be perfect to be successful. I'm a big proponent of calorie counting, having been very successful using it to lose a significant amount of weight twice in my lifetime. Because it's not overly prescriptive, you don't bear the burden of cheating on a diet; if you overeat one day, adjust the next few to reclaim the calories. A bad day does not a bad week make.

Good luck and check in often, there's a fair number of us who are pulling for you.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Rooting for ya, bro.

I'm 41, at my highest I was 221 (or maybe more?), was 151 before I went on vacation and put on 11 lbs lol. It took me 10 months to reach my 55lb goal and then lost an additional 15 or so afterwards. Waist used to be 35-36", now 27.75-28". Hips 43-44", now 36.5". Dress size used to be 18, now I'm an 8 or a 10. Most importantly, I have MUSCLE.

It wasn't easy. My metabolism hit the crapper when I turned 40. I like food a little too much. But I did it. No magic pill or diet regimen. I literally ate less and moved more. I replaced garbage with quality food. I allowed myself to eat unhealthy once or twice a week to eliminate cravings and bingeing. YMMV.

Whatever course you choose, stick to it! You can do this!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:59 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Good luck! It might help at this point to use a food tracking app to see in black and white what your diet looks like. It also sound like you need to learn a little more about nutrition, since I'm not sure a diet of green smoothies, eggs, and canned fish is sustainable. Portion size is a big thing, too. So it's not that you can't eat pizza, you just can't eat a whole pizza. One slice with a big salad is fine.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
Good luck fellow Buckeye! I lived in Ohio until I was 36. You can do this. I hope your injuries are healed enough so you can still walk. A short morning walk in the neighborhood, fresh air and hopefully some of that elusive Ohio sun will get you on a good healthy start each day. If you cook your eggs in butter, coconut oil or red palm oil, you may not be as hungry later in the day and hopefully that will help with your cravings. Try not to eat after 7-8.

I'm betting you show a good weight loss pretty quickly!

Old 07-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Enjoying reading the posts. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

To be clear I realize I wont be eating a balanced diet while on this diet to lose weight. Just want to get rid of the extra pounds I've put on over the last 17 years. Had been considering the ketogenic diet but before I read up on what was involved I watched the documentary I think I mentioned already, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I'm not able to go all green juice or smoothie like they did to lose weight fast, but I am experimenting with it as my main food source.

Went to the store this morning and bought a few things to get started. Kale, cucumbers, celery, apples, lemons, flavored stevia based drops for flavor obviously, and I even bought garlic. The garlic probably wont be used in the smoothies, I bought it because I knew I would be buying lemons and ginger root (which I haven't come across yet in the stores I went to). Garlic, lemons and ginger root are ingredients I've seen in recipes to help unclog arteries. How well it works I don't know, but want to give it a try. Also bought a seedless watermelon. Thought I could add a little to the smoothie mix to give it some flavor, plus it does have vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.

Made my first smoothie this afternoon, and will definitely only being using half a lemon, if any at all, from now on. Used a full one and it was too much.

Overall though it tasted ok. I have a cheap blender and it took quite awhile to get everything blended well. Can't say it was the tastiest thing in a good way I've ever had, but certainly wasn't as bad as I had figured it might be. Right now I don't think my body knows what to make of it, especially my stomach. I had two regular size coffee mugs full of it, which is plenty for one day. Still have about that much left of it so tomorrow's meal is already made. I hate leftovers so will make less next time. Plus, not sure the nutritional value will be as good by the time I drink it tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss