Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:49 PM

582 posts, read 763,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I guess I am wondering here why I feel the need to eat more when I weight less when I used to eat less when I weighed more.
I realize that I typed too fast here. I meant to say that I am eating more now and I weigh less. I used to eat less when I weighed more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 06:05 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I like how you phrase it . Exercise is a state of mind. yeah, I have been under a lot of stress lately.
A perfect reason why you need to exercise. Just start by walking, at least. Maybe do some stretches before and after. Start slowly.

I have not lost any more weight in a month now, but I know it's because I got sloppy with recording the food in My Fitness Pal and was not eating the way I was when I was losing. I didn't gain, but I haven't lost any more. I also have not been exercising as much as I was in the summer.

So today I woke up and I weighed myself and I looked in the mirror and I went into self-loathing mode.

However, I know the cure for that mood is EXERCISE, so I went to the gym. Had not been there since Sunday, and I intended to go twice more this week. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and so is the road to being out of shape.

I went, and my mood changed by the time I was done. Exercise is good for the inside of your head, too.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A perfect reason why you need to exercise. Just start by walking, at least. Maybe do some stretches before and after. Start slowly.

I have not lost any more weight in a month now, but I know it's because I got sloppy with recording the food in My Fitness Pal and was not eating the way I was when I was losing. I didn't gain, but I haven't lost any more. I also have not been exercising as much as I was in the summer.

So today I woke up and I weighed myself and I looked in the mirror and I went into self-loathing mode.

However, I know the cure for that mood is EXERCISE, so I went to the gym. Had not been there since Sunday, and I intended to go twice more this week. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and so is the road to being out of shape.

I went, and my mood changed by the time I was done. Exercise is good for the inside of your head, too.
this right here proves what I've said all along. exercise is invaluable when it comes to weight loss. not just because it burns calories, but it improves the mood. deep down in my heart, i know that my diet can go sideways at times because I'm a human being. but as long as I work out, I'm gonna be all right. this does NOT translate to "I can eat lots of calories and i'll burn it off". what it means is that maintaining my fitness naturally defeats self loathing. when i lift weights, i feel very powerful. after a workout session, i feel like a million bucks. that naturally makes me get on track. i would NOT have lost weight and maintained a good diet had I not also worked out.

dieting without exercise, while effective, to me is the same as trying to chase the wind. you can't have one without the other and a person is shortchanging themselves by not exercising. if you are able to get up in the morning and move, then get out and walk. make the time. don't wait until health problems force the hand and prevent you from exercising to do something. i can't picture myself being sedentary ever again...maybe it's because I'm older with arthritic knees and I know that age my one day shut me down. but until that time...

Old 11-05-2017, 05:36 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
I guess I am wondering here why I feel the need to eat more when I weight less when I used to eat less when I weighed more.
I eliminated all carbs except for whatever amount is present in non starchy vegetables, in mid August and have lost a good amt of weight (haven't a scale; visually/clothes make it obvious)

I am short 5'2", very small framed and 5yr postmenopausal! I do walk 2hr/day ONLY because I have a dog, these are not brisk walks as she is a senior dog, they are a steady "plodding" pace.
That is the ONLY exercise I get, I HATE exercise. Am lazy af.

I don't count calories, I do estimate generally and loosely, like I know a smallish avocado is "around" 2-300 cals.

I am prob eating 800-1000 cals/day and am still losing steadily.

I think for the very short, small framed, postmenopausal female (this may not apply to you, just throwing it out) who is not big on exercise that 1200+ is not a cal deficit.

I'll add I am never really hungry, I eat meat/eggs/cheese/vegetables. No fruit no grains and drink ONLY water (w/lemon as I hate plain water).

Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Try drinking 16 ounces of water every time you are hungry, and wait 20 minutes before actually eating anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
I hate going to the gym too. I used to always have a gym membership and would go maybe once a month. LOL I finally realized that I was only fooling myself and wasting money. There was no way I was going to regularly go somewhere that I hated being.

You need to find something that you don't hate. For me it was walking. I resented it at first, and I had to force myself to get out the door for the first few months. Now I would be very very sad if I had to stop. I ended up really enjoying it.

Whatever you decide to do exercise wise, just make sure you have the proper equipment and commit to doing it for a period of time, say 4 months or 6 months. If, when that period is up, you still hate it then you can try something else.

For walking, I enjoyed it much more when I found that wearing a cotton skirt in the summer made for a much cooler walk. If I was still wearing my jeans I wouldn't have lasted even a week being that hot sweaty and miserable. In the winter I have 3 coats of varying weights so that I have one that will keep me comfortable no matter the temperature. I have ear muffs because I get ear aches easily. Gloves, a stiff scarf that will stand up and provide a still air space around my lower face/nose, and an umbrella are essential to have on hand.

One thing I hated about walking was feeling like I needed to race walk to do any good. I'm not competitive and I don't enjoy striving for speed. So I quit listening to the people telling me I have to do it like them, and just walk at a moderate pace -- probably around 3 mph - for 40 - 60 minutes. It has worked for me, very well.

I've been over weight since 3rd grade. Was morbidly obese. Took the weight off and have kept it off just walking (with occasional bouts of calesthenics thrown in at home, not at the gym ugh) for over 15 years now, even through menopause.

Just keep in mind, any exercise is better than none. Doing something, anything at all, will help you continue your downward trend.

As far as being more hungry now, certain foods trigger hunger in me. One serving makes me hungrier than I was before I ate it. Pay attention to what you ate before you feel that excess hunger that you're describing. If you see a trend, cut out the offending food for a while.

Also, eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables both raw and cooked. They do a good job filling you up without many calories. And strive to eat whole foods.

Lastly, take your vitamins. Our bodies tell us they are hungry if they are missing micronutrients, and can give us cravings for foods that contain whatever we're missing.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I hate going to the gym too. I used to always have a gym membership and would go maybe once a month. LOL I finally realized that I was only fooling myself and wasting money. There was no way I was going to regularly go somewhere that I hated being.

You need to find something that you don't hate. For me it was walking. I resented it at first, and I had to force myself to get out the door for the first few months. Now I would be very very sad if I had to stop. I ended up really enjoying it.

Whatever you decide to do exercise wise, just make sure you have the proper equipment and commit to doing it for a period of time, say 4 months or 6 months. If, when that period is up, you still hate it then you can try something else.

For walking, I enjoyed it much more when I found that wearing a cotton skirt in the summer made for a much cooler walk. If I was still wearing my jeans I wouldn't have lasted even a week being that hot sweaty and miserable. In the winter I have 3 coats of varying weights so that I have one that will keep me comfortable no matter the temperature. I have ear muffs because I get ear aches easily. Gloves, a stiff scarf that will stand up and provide a still air space around my lower face/nose, and an umbrella are essential to have on hand.

One thing I hated about walking was feeling like I needed to race walk to do any good. I'm not competitive and I don't enjoy striving for speed. So I quit listening to the people telling me I have to do it like them, and just walk at a moderate pace -- probably around 3 mph - for 40 - 60 minutes. It has worked for me, very well.

I've been over weight since 3rd grade. Was morbidly obese. Took the weight off and have kept it off just walking (with occasional bouts of calesthenics thrown in at home, not at the gym ugh) for over 15 years now, even through menopause.

Just keep in mind, any exercise is better than none. Doing something, anything at all, will help you continue your downward trend.

As far as being more hungry now, certain foods trigger hunger in me. One serving makes me hungrier than I was before I ate it. Pay attention to what you ate before you feel that excess hunger that you're describing. If you see a trend, cut out the offending food for a while.

Also, eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables both raw and cooked. They do a good job filling you up without many calories. And strive to eat whole foods.

Lastly, take your vitamins. Our bodies tell us they are hungry if they are missing micronutrients, and can give us cravings for foods that contain whatever we're missing.
Thank you! I am fooling myself too. I have been paying for a gym membership just to motivate myself to go but nope. It isn't happening anytime soon and I keep paying every month. I used to love the gym and I used to exercise everyday but that was 10 years ago.
I feel hungry after my PB banana toast in the mornings. It is not enough anymore. It used to make me satisfied. Now, I have to add something and I end up with a 600 calories breakfast.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Try drinking 16 ounces of water every time you are hungry, and wait 20 minutes before actually eating anything.
Yeah, water is important. Thank you! I drink a lot of tea though.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I eliminated all carbs except for whatever amount is present in non starchy vegetables, in mid August and have lost a good amt of weight (haven't a scale; visually/clothes make it obvious)

I am short 5'2", very small framed and 5yr postmenopausal! I do walk 2hr/day ONLY because I have a dog, these are not brisk walks as she is a senior dog, they are a steady "plodding" pace.
That is the ONLY exercise I get, I HATE exercise. Am lazy af.

I don't count calories, I do estimate generally and loosely, like I know a smallish avocado is "around" 2-300 cals.

I am prob eating 800-1000 cals/day and am still losing steadily.

I think for the very short, small framed, postmenopausal female (this may not apply to you, just throwing it out) who is not big on exercise that 1200+ is not a cal deficit.

I'll add I am never really hungry, I eat meat/eggs/cheese/vegetables. No fruit no grains and drink ONLY water (w/lemon as I hate plain water).
I am 5'3". I can't eliminate all the carbs and I am on a vegan diet. I think you need to eat more than 800-1000 cals a day.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:21 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Thank you! I am fooling myself too. I have been paying for a gym membership just to motivate myself to go but nope. It isn't happening anytime soon and I keep paying every month. I used to love the gym and I used to exercise everyday but that was 10 years ago.
I feel hungry after my PB banana toast in the mornings. It is not enough anymore. It used to make me satisfied. Now, I have to add something and I end up with a 600 calories breakfast.
Refined starchy foods are one food that make me hungrier. In my case cutting out the toast would work, just eating the banana spread with peanut butter. I think we each have to figure out for ourselves which foods make us hungrier, so I'm not sure this is your solution for breakfast, but maybe it would be worth trying?

As far as being hungrier eating the same foods as before you lost weight, manufacturers change their formulas all the time without telling us. Could be your bread started adding a different type of sugar or changed something else that triggers hunger in you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss