Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,141,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Carbs are a huge category. Starch isn't the only carb. And bread isn't the only starch.

I suggest you learn something about nutrition because you're still making poor choices, even with your question asking if a bagel with cream cheese is acceptable. It tells us that none of this really *means* anything to you.

Learn about nutrition, until it actually means something to you. Once you do that, you'll be able to get a better grip on your own healthy (and unhealthy) choices.
It does mean something to me. I'm making slow changes at a time.

That's why I was asking about the bagel and cream cheese. I don't know, thats why I'm asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,538,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Well I gave up alcohol. I still have a bottle of the pink champagne I like but I'm saving some for Christmas eve or Christmas just to celebrate. But currently I haven't had any in a week though I have had pizza... lol oh well I'm still doing better with eating than I was.

Can anyone hep me come up with a meal plan? I was going to do breakfast and then a combined lunch/dinner since eating two meals a day is easier on me. For breakfast I was thinking a bagel with cream cheese or is that too unhealthy? I'm trying to keep it low carb but if a bagel is the only carb I eat all day then thats not bad, right? Or a bagel with egg cheese and turkey?
If you're trying to keep things "low carb" then a bagel has too much. It's not the carbs that put on the extra weight, it's the overeating/poor food choices. I don't follow low carb so none of what I post below follows that plan.

How about instead of a bagel use whole wheat bread (90-120 calories per slice). Cream cheese provides calories and little else. You're better served cooking eggs at home. Eggs are 75 calories per, and it'll probably take at least 2 to get a decent serving. You can buy sliced cheese from the supermarket. I'd eat 2% cheese if I can. Try and watch out for the sodium. Include some fruit with your breakfast, or a cup of low fat yogurt. none of these things cost a lot of money and require a great deal of preparation.

You can make a "breakfast taco" (popular where I live). Get a tortilla (maybe even a pita, no more than 120 calories, preferably with at least 2 gs of fiber), cook up some eggs, a half cup of shredded potatoes/hash browns (70 calories), a strip of turkey bacon and fold into the tortilla burrito style. Fruit and yogurt on the side. About 500-600 calories. Try and find reduced sodium turkey bacon.

Dinner, maybe pick yourself up a foreman grill. Chicken is a big part of my diet as it has a good amount of protein for not as many calories as other meats. Grill yourself a few breasts and pair it with assorted sides. A small baked potato. A nice heaping helping of vegetables. Do you enjoy beans? They are high in fiber and fiber helps fill you up. My plate would be half veggies, one quarter meat, one quarter starch.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,253,709 times
Quote:
Well I gave up alcohol. I still have a bottle of the pink champagne I like but I'm saving some for Christmas eve or Christmas just to celebrate. But currently I haven't had any in a week though I have had pizza... lol oh well I'm still doing better with eating than I was.

Can anyone hep me come up with a meal plan? I was going to do breakfast and then a combined lunch/dinner since eating two meals a day is easier on me. For breakfast I was thinking a bagel with cream cheese or is that too unhealthy? I'm trying to keep it low carb but if a bagel is the only carb I eat all day then thats not bad, right? Or a bagel with egg cheese and turkey?
I would skip the bagel with cream cheese entirely; very little nutrition. The second option is okay, but I’d go with whole grain toast instead of the bagel. Round it out with some fruit and you’re good to go. Maybe rotate and have oatmeal instead a couple of times per week.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:07 PM

21,928 posts, read 25,280,841 times
Quote:

I usually eat Yogurt/granola with some berries for breakfast during the week. Basically its breakfast cereal but higher calories. Since I tend to eat breakfast and dinner, the extra calories is good. It's a convenience food. It's not some super food nutritious breakfast. Like breakfast cereal it's about avoiding something with 40 grams of sugar in it. Eggs (scrambled, fried) with a couple slices of whole wheat bread is easy. Fried egg sandwich with a slice of tomato and cheese. I don't avoid carbs though. Instead of bagel and cream cheese try peanut butter toast, same prep time and better nutrition. Use whole wheat bread and peanut butter without added sugar. If your grocery store has a peanut grinder in it, you can make your own (or almond butter but that's expensive). Adam's is pretty widely available otherwise. Instead of bagel with egg, cheese, and turkey skip the bagel. Have a turkey and cheese scramble, throw some broccoli in there as well while you're at it with a slice of whole wheat toast on the side.

Dinner I usually steam a giant serving of some vegetable, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, green beans, asparagus, brown rice or nuked potato, cut of meat/fish. Usually it's pork chops, chicken, hamburger, fish. Potatoes often don't need it or just a small amount as a topping. You can throw basically anything on top of a potato and put it next to a pile of vegetables and that does a meal. Pasta - spaghetti or just throw a bunch of vegetables and canned (lazy) sauce on top of some pasta. If you're not too picky rotisserie chickens are basically gold. Most grocery stores run them as loss leaders. You can buy the raw chicken for a couple bucks more or buy it already cooked for you for less. It usually won't be organic, will have too much salt but convenience. If you are picky they're still gold. Buy one and go out to your herb garden (have an herb garden) and roast it yourself at home and now you've got leftover meat for a week. I either roast a chicken or buy a rotisserie every other week. The other week its fish/hamburger/pork chops.

I used to be better about making soups. They take longer but you make a bunch of soup and stick it in the freezer in small containers and you've got soup for a couple weeks. Good for lunches when I eat them. Mostly eat canned soup now. Tastes worse, not as healthy, but it is convenient. Likewise I'll eat frozen entries once in a while. It's a bit of variety in my otherwise very plain and very simple diet. They're expensive and even the better ones aren't that healthy. You can get the packages of lentil/bean soups that come with spices. Saute an onion in a large pot, add water and the lentil/bean mix, and throw some carrots and greens in (chard/kale/spinach) in about ten minutes before its done. That's about the easiest soup I've found. You can add ham as a meat. Play around with other recipes and just do your own thing. Soups are very versatile.

If you're trying to go low carb, you'll have to substitute in something in place of brown rice, pasta, and potatoes. Typically that means more meat and liberal use of fats. I eat more balanced. I don't shy away from fats or carbs. Lots of butter, sour cream, whole yogurt, peanut butter, olive oil in pastas, lots of brown rice, potatoes, whole wheat pastas and salads, moderate amounts of meat, copious amounts of vegetables and salads. Basically everything I eat revolves around can I make it in 10 minutes or so. If the answer is no, I'm not going to make it regularly unless it involves huge amounts of left overs (spaghetti, roasted chicken, soup).

Last edited by Malloric; 12-04-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times
Quote:

Since you aren't likely to get a big dose of veggies in whatever meal you have at work, find a way to fit in some veggies at breakfast or for a snack.

I find that a bagel breakfast is not filling at all, so I skip it all together. Greek yogurt and granola, eggs and toast, even cereal with nuts and fruit seem to hold me over a lot longer.

Lately, I've been having oatmeal (or a multigrain porridge) for breakfast with some dried fruits and nuts. Today it was a blend of oatmeal, teff, amaranth, and quinoa with hazelnuts and figs. You can even stash some low-sugar protein powder in your oats to improve the nutrition profile!

Old 12-13-2017, 01:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,141,806 times
Lately every dinner I have been having a piece of grilled chicken breast and a whole bag of steamed veggies with seasonings. It's pretty good and filling! I have the whole bag bc it fills me up. My fave is ranch cauliflower and steakhouse green beans. Even though they are seasoned the carbs are low and it's not bad calories and salt wise. It's my new fave meal.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:34 AM

92 posts, read 166,850 times
Intermittent Fasting will do the trick.
Watch Dr. Jason Fung on you tube talk about it
particularly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,233,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
Intermittent Fasting will do the trick.
Watch Dr. Jason Fung on you tube talk about it
particularly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
I didn’t have the patience for the video, but I will say that a cardiologist I went to was a fan of low carb/intermittent fasting. He is a thin high energy type, so he might be thin regardless of his diet.

His version was that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is a myth.
Since your body burns carbs before fats, if you do not eat after 7 pm, by the middle of the night your body has burned off carbs and is now burning fats. The longer you go in the morning without eating, the more fat your body will burn. As soon as you eat, the clock starts over.

The theory makes sense, but it seems to me that more fat people don’t eat breakfast, than do, so I’m not sure.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,023,106 times
Quote:
Lately every dinner I have been having a piece of grilled chicken breast and a whole bag of steamed veggies with seasonings. It's pretty good and filling! I have the whole bag bc it fills me up. My fave is ranch cauliflower and steakhouse green beans. Even though they are seasoned the carbs are low and it's not bad calories and salt wise. It's my new fave meal.
Good for you! and congratulations on making changes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,525,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I didn’t have the patience for the video, but I will say that a cardiologist I went to was a fan of low carb/intermittent fasting. He is a thin high energy type, so he might be thin regardless of his diet.

His version was that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is a myth.
Since your body burns carbs before fats, if you do not eat after 7 pm, by the middle of the night your body has burned off carbs and is now burning fats. The longer you go in the morning without eating, the more fat your body will burn. As soon as you eat, the clock starts over.

The theory makes sense, but it seems to me that more fat people don’t eat breakfast, than do, so I’m not sure.
I didn't eat breakfast when I was morbidly obese, but I ate up till bedtime, 10 or 11, and it was all refined carbs and sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss