Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:39 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,460,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The theory makes sense, but it seems to me that more fat people don’t eat breakfast, than do, so I’m not sure.

Having gone from one to the other (no breakfast to breakfast), and having made that change at my highest weight which was ~70lbs more than I weigh now ~ I'm firmly in the "breakfast is the most important meal" camp. When I started, it made me sick... I wanted to vomit just from the thought of having to eat. Now, if I skimp or eat late, my energy levels are non-existent and I can hardly make it to Lunch, even after lunch I'm still struggling. As I approach 50, I find that I frequently skip dinner (assuming a full breakfast and normal lunch), especially if I eat "lunch" later than about 1pm or have a Big lunch.

But, one must consider other changes too. When I made the change I essentially removed all processed carbs/sugars (sweetened anything, bread/pasta/grains), went to a high protein and fat diet with the carbs coming from fruits, veggies and dairy. So the weight loss could have been from dietary changes, not eating breakfasts. Oh, and I've been extremely diligent about weight training since then too... 3 1-hour weights sessions a week, walking several miles a day ~ consistently for 13 years now.

OP, good for you! Hope you find yourself making it a habit and seeing positive results because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,985,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Lately every dinner I have been having a piece of grilled chicken breast and a whole bag of steamed veggies with seasonings. It's pretty good and filling! I have the whole bag bc it fills me up. My fave is ranch cauliflower and steakhouse green beans. Even though they are seasoned the carbs are low and it's not bad calories and salt wise. It's my new fave meal.
Great job getting more veggies in!

Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 PM

26 posts, read 39,459 times
Quote:
I've been trying to lose the same 15-20 lbs FOREVER. But for some reason I just can't do it. I weigh around 150 lbs and I hate it. Mostly it's my thighs/butt that I want to change. I want my stomach to be firmer. If I could just get these extra weight off it would really help and I think I would feel better.

I've tried eating better and nothing I try works. Yes, I love to eat but I don't feel like I eat THAT much. Plus I am constantly running around at work, then I walk everywhere I go bc I don't have a car. I just don't know why I can never lose the weight. I've lost weight before but then gained it back.

I work in fast food, so I do eat that but I try to at least pair it with a salad and I do watch my calories.
You're hitting the dreaded plateau. Based on your post I'm assuming that you're female. I'm also assuming that you're not meticulous with your diet/exercise regimen, but rather try to live an overall healthy lifestyle. I think that you may have to start tracking things and become more disciplined to lose that last bit of weight.

You should have an idea of your BMR and start looking more at your calorie intake, macro-nutrient percentages and exercise routine. Your diet is the most important thing to manage, by far. I included helpful links with more information at the bottom of my post.

For food, here are some general guidelines. You should be eating lean means like chicken, steak and fish. On the carb side of things, you want complex carbs (whole grains, beans, etc.). Eat lots of veggies and don't overload them with butter. Salad is good too, but don't use much dressing. Include fruit, but in moderation.

Stay away from white bread and rice as much as possible. Stay away from sweets/processed foods as much as possible. Stay away from alcohol as much as possible. You can include these on occasion (I mean, you've got to enjoy yourself once in a while), but they will do nothing to help you lose the weight.

If you aren't doing resistance training - start now. Put weights over doing any cardio. You will not get big bulky muscles and you will not turn into a man. This is important because the more lean tissue you have, the more calories you will burn at rest.

For cardio, start with a low/moderate intensity program. As you become more fit, work your way up to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Make sure you consult with your doctor for the HIIT, though. It will help whoop your ass into shape, but you shouldn't do it if you aren't conditioned or have any health problems.

Remember, you're only going to get out of your body what you put into it.

BMR calculator:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Macro-nutrient calculator:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mac...calculator.htm

Starting point for weight training:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...ing-guide.html

Information on HIIT:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...g-program.html

Last edited by kebas239; 12-15-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,143,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kebas239 View Post
You're hitting the dreaded plateau. Based on your post I'm assuming that you're female. I'm also assuming that you're not meticulous with your diet/exercise regimen, but rather try to live an overall healthy lifestyle. I think that you may have to start tracking things and become more disciplined to lose that last bit of weight.

You should have an idea of your BMR and start looking more at your calorie intake, macro-nutrient percentages and exercise routine. Your diet is the most important thing to manage, by far. I included helpful links with more information at the bottom of my post.

For food, here are some general guidelines. You should be eating lean means like chicken, steak and fish. On the carb side of things, you want complex carbs (whole grains, beans, etc.). Eat lots of veggies and don't overload them with butter. Salad is good too, but don't use much dressing. Include fruit, but in moderation.

Stay away from white bread and rice as much as possible. Stay away from sweets/processed foods as much as possible. Stay away from alcohol as much as possible. You can include these on occasion (I mean, you've got to enjoy yourself once in a while), but they will do nothing to help you lose the weight.

If you aren't doing resistance training - start now. Put weights over doing any cardio. You will not get big bulky muscles and you will not turn into a man. This is important because the more lean tissue you have, the more calories you will burn at rest.

For cardio, start with a low/moderate intensity program. As you become more fit, work your way up to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Make sure you consult with your doctor for the HIIT, though. It will help whoop your ass into shape, but you shouldn't do it if you aren't conditioned or have any health problems.

Remember, you're only going to get out of your body what you put into it.

BMR calculator:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Macro-nutrient calculator:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mac...calculator.htm

Starting point for weight training:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...ing-guide.html

Information on HIIT:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...g-program.html
Hi! Thank you for the info!

Can I still be on a low carb diet if I eat a sweet potato with my dinner every night? Also is what you eat (like salt) effect your weight too? I like the veggies I'm eating but they are almost 1000 of salt for the whole bag.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM

48,626 posts, read 35,093,855 times
I think in your situation you will have to make some concessions. You are already eating healthier, which is a win, you can always tweak what you are eating over time to meet other health goals (ie: less salt).

Get used to eating healthy, the longer you do it the more difference you will notice. If you eat a fast food hamburger, it will make you feel gross.

I love the pre-cooked Angus Choice burgers. They microwave great (and I HATE microwaved meat). I put fresh spinach under them, top with onions, tomatoes and avocados.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:

Can I still be on a low carb diet if I eat a sweet potato with my dinner every night? Also is what you eat (like salt) effect your weight too? I like the veggies I'm eating but they are almost 1000 of salt for the whole bag.
you don't have to be low carb to lose weight unless that's something you want to do. you just need to eat less and overhaul what you're eating. go ahead and eat that sweet potato - it packs a lot of nutrition in it. that's way too much salt. try frozen, no salt added veggies.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:31 PM

26 posts, read 39,459 times
Quote:

As riaelise mentioned, the carbs will not directly effect your weight. Neither will salt. It's ultimately about how many calories your taking in versus how many you're burning. You really should try to find a happy medium with your carb/salt intake.

Low carb diets are difficult to stay on long term (and IMO, unhealthy); additionally, you are likely to go back to your normal carb intake after a period of time which will result in you gaining much of the weight back. Carbs are a good source of energy and help you feel full so you should not skimp on them.

1,000 mg of salt is very high. Too much sodium will lead to water retention which would make you look bloated until it's flushed out of your body. And although the salt itself doesn't cause weight gain, most foods with high sodium are processed and calorie dense. Long term, excess salt can also be a major contributor to health problems such as high blood pressure and heart disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss