Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,822,289 times

Advertisements

I have trouble controlling myself around sweets. Yesterday, I ate one of those mayfield boxes of ice cream in one day. I am 6'3 260, so I gotta lose some weight. I don't currently have any health problems, but if I continue to consume large quantities of sweets then I will end up with some. I normally get tempted to buy snacks from the vending machine at work, so instead, I will go to the store and buy some sweets to snack on my breaks at work. I have tried eating fruit but it doesn't get rid of my sweet cravings. I have to eat something sweet EVERYDAY. Well, I don't have to but my cravings get out of control and then I cave in and go to the store on the way home and buy sweets.

Anyway, What are some other things besides fruit that are tasty and healthy that I can snack on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 04:29 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,885,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I have trouble controlling myself around sweets. Yesterday, I ate one of those mayfield boxes of ice cream in one day. I am 6'3 260, so I gotta lose some weight. I don't currently have any health problems, but if I continue to consume large quantities of sweets then I will end up with some. I normally get tempted to buy snacks from the vending machine at work, so instead, I will go to the store and buy some sweets to snack on my breaks at work. I have tried eating fruit but it doesn't get rid of my sweet cravings. I have to eat something sweet EVERYDAY. Well, I don't have to but my cravings get out of control and then I cave in and go to the store on the way home and buy sweets.

Anyway, What are some other things besides fruit that are tasty and healthy that I can snack on?
Get involved with OA, sounds like you need structure and someone hitting you over the head with common sense.

Drink WATER, fill up with water. Buy little bags of pretzels or small bags of chips....lick that sugar craving. You can DO IT. Everyone can do. Add to those bags of pretzels raisins and some nuts etc ... get creative. Americans are lazy....we were told this moons ago.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,282,928 times
Almonds and other unprocessed nuts are healthy, but they aren't sweet. Dates are sweet and have fiber.

What kind of fruit did you try? How long did you try it for?

I like to buy frozen, pitted cherries and eat them frozen. Sometimes I make yonanas with them and frozen bananas. Tastes like ice cream without all the fat and sugar.

Banana Ice Cream Maker & Recipes | Yonanas

Old 11-19-2017, 04:57 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,472,301 times
As someone with an insatiable sweet tooth (I'm nearly 50 and have Always been like this) I know Exactly what you're talking about because I've been there, there is only ONE way that worked for me.

Cold Turkey.

Stop eating/drinking/consuming Anything sweet. It's not forever but the first couple weeks will feel like an eternity. If you can make it a month, reward yourself.... but be prepared, everything will seem TOO sweet by then. I've done this several times over the past decade or so and now I can easily just skip the treats. Doesn't mean that they aren't still immensely satisfying and that I never binge, but it's not the addiction that I had before. I also try to focus more on Quality over Quantity. Want ice cream? I'll make it myself. Chocolate? It's going to be higher quality than most people have ever tried, and typically very "dark" (I can't eat Hershey's anymore, it's like a gritty overly sweet paste).

Sweet is highly addictive, exactly like cocaine and heroin (and yes, I do mean exactly ~ hundreds of different articles on the web about this). You need to treat it like an addiction, and not every tactic works for all people. Lots of smokers have tried to quit cold turkey and few succeed...

BTW, don't think there's a difference between sugar and artificial sweeteners, because there isn't. It is simply a reaction to "sweet".

Old 11-19-2017, 05:10 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,745,922 times
It is hard, that dang sweet-tooth calls to me also.

All I can say is, a big part of being able to cut way back on sweets, is both discipline and outright denial when that craving hits. And of course, never keep sweets in the house.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:22 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,822,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
What kind of fruit did you try? How long did you try it for?
Bananas, apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries. I have been trying them for a very long time. years

Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,885,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Bananas, apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries. I have been trying them for a very long time. years
Don't just try them, get into the habit of them.

As one said, don't keep things in the house that tempts the sugar cravings. Eat small amounts of fruit and drink Water..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM

29,797 posts, read 34,605,248 times
When you get a sweet craving, chewing gum can help. You just have to retrain yourself--when you want to get something from the vending machine, repeat to yourself, " I don't eat that" over and over.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:57 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,242,835 times
One thing I try is if you do find yourself buying a bag of candy throw them in the freezer, I grab a few to suck on which lasts awhile and you feel less tempted. Also try not to buy sugary stuff at the store, buy more fruits and green yogurt. Also water is your best friend

Old 11-19-2017, 07:12 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,709,156 times
We have discovered sugar free Jello cups already prepared near the eggs and yogurt fridge section of the grocery store. 5 calories each and they taste sweet. My husband also uses sugar free chocolate pudding in the grocery shelf section. I can eat just a little of this but more than one of these for me is like taking a laxative.

To get the chewing need carrots are both filling and one carrot only won't be too much sugar. I don't like celery beyond being able to tolerate it in a salad or soup but I have read celery takes as many calories to chew it as it has in it. It is like eating a free food.

When you start limiting the carbs, your sweet tooth will stop troubling you. You also will stop being so hungry. Sugar makes you hungry again three hours after eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss