Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You can. It happened to me. It happened in little over a month. I didn't change my eating habits either, other than maybe 1-2 extra lattes a week (I pretty much only drink small ones, so call that 500 calories worst case). During that period my hormones and thyroid levels were completely off (I am hypothyroid). I used the same scale the whole time, and when I went to my annual checkup it registered a similar higher weight.

While we have an idea that calories in/calories out is a simple formula, it doesn't work that way in practice. There are a lot of variables that impact how much you burn and how much your body utilizes. I have more than enough experience that shows me that there are lots of other factors that impact it.

Totally agree, and I would add taking something like steroids (prednisone and the like) can cause you to pack on pounds super quick, it's unreal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
What's important to me more than scale weight is fat gain. I "gained" 15 lbs in one week due to eating a crap, calorie, sugar and salt laden diet. Once I returned to normal eating patterns, I've lost 6 lbs of that so far and it is mostly retained water. That's not to say that I didn't gain probably 4-5 lbs of actual fat, and for that exercise is helping.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
You can. It happened to me. It happened in little over a month. I didn't change my eating habits either, other than maybe 1-2 extra lattes a week (I pretty much only drink small ones, so call that 500 calories worst case). During that period my hormones and thyroid levels were completely off (I am hypothyroid). I used the same scale the whole time, and when I went to my annual checkup it registered a similar higher weight.

While we have an idea that calories in/calories out is a simple formula, it doesn't work that way in practice. There are a lot of variables that impact how much you burn and how much your body utilizes. I have more than enough experience that shows me that there are lots of other factors that impact it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Totally agree, and I would add taking something like steroids (prednisone and the like) can cause you to pack on pounds super quick, it's unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What's important to me more than scale weight is fat gain. I "gained" 15 lbs in one week due to eating a crap, calorie, sugar and salt laden diet. Once I returned to normal eating patterns, I've lost 6 lbs of that so far and it is mostly retained water. That's not to say that I didn't gain probably 4-5 lbs of actual fat, and for that exercise is helping.
I would say the only way it could happen is if you didn't have any or minimal bowel movements.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:24 PM

658 posts, read 359,799 times
Tall thin guy here and it took me over a year to gain 18lbs eating 4,000 calories a day doing NO cardio just weight lifting. So something is weird here.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northnomad View Post
Tall thin guy here and it took me over a year to gain 18lbs eating 4,000 calories a day doing NO cardio just weight lifting. So something is weird here.
Without knowing your starting weight, height, age, and weightlifting routine, I would say that appears to be the upper limit of what is possible for an average man.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 PM

Assuming he is accurate, and counted calories accurately, every day, for a year.

BUT, when I was a teen to my early 20s I ate like a teenage growing boy. I ate a LOT of calories, and was trying to gain weight, could never break the 99.5 lbs mark.

That is not the case today.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
In my observation, anyone who truly gains 15 pounds in one week has a kidney issue and isn't passing fluids. It's a true health crisis. No one packs on 15 pounds of extra weight by over eating junk food in one week. I would suspect your scales are off.

OP - I suspect you're like me. When I exercise HARD I have a stress reaction that shuts down my metabolism. When I work out in a gym and don't eat extra, I pack on fat. It's not pretty muscle, it's ugly fat. It's a cortisol stress reaction where my brain tells my body "something is horribly wrong, stop metabolizing food". I don't know what percentage of people pack on fat when they work out hard, but my trainer said I'm one of those. In private he said that, so other people sweating away at the gym and paying big bucks for the privilege didn't overhear it. ;D I can maintain a slim body by just doing fun recreational things - hiking, kayaking, gardening, etc. But when I work out hard on gym machines here comes fat.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In my observation, anyone who truly gains 15 pounds in one week has a kidney issue and isn't passing fluids. It's a true health crisis. No one packs on 15 pounds of extra weight by over eating junk food in one week. I would suspect your scales are off.

OP - I suspect you're like me. When I exercise HARD I have a stress reaction that shuts down my metabolism. When I work out in a gym and don't eat extra, I pack on fat. It's not pretty muscle, it's ugly fat. It's a cortisol stress reaction where my brain tells my body "something is horribly wrong, stop metabolizing food". I don't know what percentage of people pack on fat when they work out hard, but my trainer said I'm one of those. In private he said that, so other people sweating away at the gym and paying big bucks for the privilege didn't overhear it. ;D I can maintain a slim body by just doing fun recreational things - hiking, kayaking, gardening, etc. But when I work out hard on gym machines here comes fat.
I don't have a kidney issue and I use a medical scale. The weight gain is due to a combination of fat, water retention, and other things. If I am consuming high amounts of sodium and simple carbohydrates (over 500 mg) daily, the water is constantly retained. I stop eating like that, and boom I start to eliminate more and the pounds start to come off. Ultimately I gained probably 4 lbs of actual fat, which I am working to get off

When I work out, the fat comes off, as my body has to get energy from somewhere and carbs can only go but so far.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:

No, you just ate more. 18 pounds in a month is a 2,000 calorie/day surplus. Your hypothyroidism did not stop you from using any calories for a month. The only way to do that is by dying which apparently you did not do. Definitely things like Hashimoto's can screw with your hormone levels, but it's always as simple as calories in/calories out. Thyroid just controls a lot of the hormones which have a large impact on the calories out side of that equation

Old 12-14-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, you just ate more. 18 pounds in a month is a 2,000 calorie/day surplus. Your hypothyroidism did not stop you from using any calories for a month. The only way to do that is by dying which apparently you did not do. Definitely things like Hashimoto's can screw with your hormone levels, but it's always as simple as calories in/calories out. Thyroid just controls a lot of the hormones which have a large impact on the calories out side of that equation
Again, it may be calories in and out, but different conditions can make the same "X" amount of calories in either make you gain weight or not. So, really it is NOT that simple.

I was gaining weight eating 1200 calories (hypo thyroid, and medication that causes weight gain), now I can eat 1600 calories, no weight gain because I have neither of those two problems anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss