Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 09:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, you just ate more. 18 pounds in a month is a 2,000 calorie/day surplus. Your hypothyroidism did not stop you from using any calories for a month. The only way to do that is by dying which apparently you did not do. Definitely things like Hashimoto's can screw with your hormone levels, but it's always as simple as calories in/calories out. Thyroid just controls a lot of the hormones which have a large impact on the calories out side of that equation
Nope, I didn't eat 2000 calories a day more. I ate exactly the same amount of stuff save a few a few extra coffees during the week. So not a big difference in food intake.

Calories in/calories out is not a simple formula. I get really frustrated when people claim that if you eat calories x a predictable change can happen. There are more variables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 PM

21,898 posts, read 25,219,750 times
Of course. Calories out is the other half of the simple equation.

The exception to that simple formula is water retention. Lots of things can affect that, diet, medication, disease, hormones, standing all day. One does not magically put on 16 pounds of fat, however, in a month without putting in 56,000 more calories in than they burn. The body is incapable of creating fat from aether. In most cases water retention is short-term. Stop eating crap, stop being ill, get hormones back in balance (eg menstrual cycle results in regular water retention for some women), stop taking medication. Other times it's not so simple. For that reason it's usually discounted. A woman who regularly gains and loses 5 pounds through her menstrual cycle, for example, would likely be aware of that and ignore the typical premenstrual weight gain from fluid retention rather than cutting calories and then gorging as the excess water weight was passed to maintain a constant weight on the scale through her menstrual cycle. None the less, over that example taken over a menstrual cycle it is just as simple as calories in/calories out. Day to day the numbers may vary with water retention. Over the long-term they do not.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-16-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 08:09 AM

9,886 posts, read 7,769,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In my observation, anyone who truly gains 15 pounds in one week has a kidney issue and isn't passing fluids. It's a true health crisis. No one packs on 15 pounds of extra weight by over eating junk food in one week. I would suspect your scales are off.

OP - I suspect you're like me. When I exercise HARD I have a stress reaction that shuts down my metabolism. When I work out in a gym and don't eat extra, I pack on fat. It's not pretty muscle, it's ugly fat. It's a cortisol stress reaction where my brain tells my body "something is horribly wrong, stop metabolizing food". I don't know what percentage of people pack on fat when they work out hard, but my trainer said I'm one of those. In private he said that, so other people sweating away at the gym and paying big bucks for the privilege didn't overhear it. ;D I can maintain a slim body by just doing fun recreational things - hiking, kayaking, gardening, etc. But when I work out hard on gym machines here comes fat.
Yes, people need to understand how cortisol rises when working out.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,195,810 times
OP, if you just started the lifting program, muscles will often hold a lot of water for a short time, causing a weight gain. This happened to me a few years ago. Eventually it releases. Another option could be that you are actually not eating ENOUGH for the regimen you are on. I pretty much feel its the water retention, tho'.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...rcise-program/

Old 12-17-2017, 10:23 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Are you taking creatine or anything? I think that makes you retain water. Not sure, I don't take it but DH does.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OP, if you just started the lifting program, muscles will often hold a lot of water for a short time, causing a weight gain. This happened to me a few years ago. Eventually it releases. Another option could be that you are actually not eating ENOUGH for the regimen you are on. I pretty much feel its the water retention, tho'.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...rcise-program/
When you read articles on Livestrong.com, please take a look at who is writing the articles. For example, that first article was written by Pam Murphy whose background is:

Quote:
Pam Murphy is a writer specializing in fitness, childcare and business-related topics. She is a member of the National Association for Family Child Care and contributes to various websites. Murphy is a licensed childcare professional and holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of West Georgia.
I'm always skeptical of these articles because I rarely find them to be credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are you taking creatine or anything? I think that makes you retain water. Not sure, I don't take it but DH does.
I've read that creatine can possibly cause you to retain water and that can contribute to a "pumped" effect when lifting and taking it. I've taken it for years and only noticed a slight weight gain while on it and lifting hard.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:52 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I've read that creatine can possibly cause you to retain water and that can contribute to a "pumped" effect when lifting and taking it. I've taken it for years and only noticed a slight weight gain while on it and lifting hard.
That reminded me that just last week DH asked me to check if our scale is accurate because his weight did a pretty big jump, and it showed my weight the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-17-2017, 06:10 PM

21,898 posts, read 25,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
When you read articles on Livestrong.com, please take a look at who is writing the articles. For example, that first article was written by Pam Murphy whose background is:

I'm always skeptical of these articles because I rarely find them to be credible.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911631

Note the difference in low hydration (1:3 gylcogen/water ratio by weight) and high hydration (1:17) on muscle biopsy. Basically echoes other studies that while there's definitely water retention in exercise post exercise, it's not well understood or the 1:2.7 ratio, of course that's been know for a while now but interesting to see actual muscle biopsies in a fairly controlled environment.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911631

Note the difference in low hydration (1:3 gylcogen/water ratio by weight) and high hydration (1:17) on muscle biopsy. Basically echoes other studies that while there's definitely water retention in exercise post exercise, it's not well understood or the 1:2.7 ratio, of course that's been know for a while now but interesting to see actual muscle biopsies in a fairly controlled environment.
That study looked at biopsy samples during recovery from prolonged exercise in the heat. Where in this discussion did anyone mention prolonged exercise in the heat? The OP stated that he started a new lifting program where he lifts 3 days a week for an hour or more. That is not prolonged exercise in the heat unless he turns the heat up to 105 degrees.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope, I didn't eat 2000 calories a day more. I ate exactly the same amount of stuff save a few a few extra coffees during the week. So not a big difference in food intake.

Calories in/calories out is not a simple formula. I get really frustrated when people claim that if you eat calories x a predictable change can happen. There are more variables.
I disagree, it is a simple formula. It may not be an exact science (most people are probably over/under by 100-200 calories per day in estimating their burn rate) but its reliable.

I've been working with someone who has studied the science of weight management for more than a decade and has debunked every popular myth about how it works. Unless you're a medical outlier experiencing a rare condition, if you're gaining weight it's because you're consuming more calories than you're burning and there's a logical reason why. People are notoriously bad at tracking what they eat and what the associated calorie impact is. If there are unexplained gains or losses, it's almost always going to be explained by analyzing consumed calories.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be argumentative. It's just that I've hidden behind so many of the popular excuses and allowed myself to maintain an unacceptable fitness level for most of my life, even when not particularly overweight. It was only when I started realizing my colleague was right and embraced his approach to calorie management that I achieved my goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss