Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,962,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I didn't know that was offered. I'll be sure and ask my recruiter.
Another question. Do you have a Bachelor's degree? If so, why didn't you explore OCS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,608,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Another question. Do you have a Bachelor's degree? If so, why didn't you explore OCS?
Yes, a bachelors of general studies in the humanities.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, a bachelors of general studies in the humanities.
Ok, did you explore being commissioned? It's not STEM but the Navy, the military in general, still believes that someone with a degree is teachable.

As a note, my degree was in Social Studies education and I went to flight school.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:35 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,608,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, did you explore being commissioned? It's not STEM but the Navy, the military in general, still believes that someone with a degree is teachable.

As a note, my degree was in Social Studies education and I went to flight school.
If I wasn't so nearsighted, I would have loved to go to flight school. Alas, though, I have a -3 diopter prescription that I rely on just to be able to not trip over my own feet and read road signs and stuff.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:43 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,592,503 times
At your age/weight/height your sedentary metabolic rate (BMR) is 2,100 calories. So if you cap your calorie intake to 1,500 per day and don't exercise at all you'll lose just over a pound a week. Assuming you're burning closer to 2,800 calories per day, you can theoretically lose between 2-3 pounds a week.

Now, here are two very important pieces of advice:
1. Don't get snookered into any complicated diet program where you need calculators, charts, and graphs. Keep it to straight calorie counting and find things that you enjoy to eat but which also fit your budget.

2. Focus your efforts on accurately tracking the food you eat and the associated calories. You may not know for certain how many calories you're burning, but you damn well can know how many you've consumed.

Also, regarding exercise tips, Malloric already gave you awesome advice, use it.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If I wasn't so nearsighted, I would have loved to go to flight school. Alas, though, I have a -3 diopter prescription that I rely on just to be able to not trip over my own feet and read road signs and stuff.
Ok, but I just used myself as an example of degree. There are dozens of billets you'd qualify for. Public Affairs would be one.

https://www.thebalance.com/navy-comm...ptions-3356599
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss