Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,220 times

Advertisements

Hello there.

I wanted to learn more about trying hypnosis to achieve my weight loss goals. I’d love to hear from others who’ve tried it about what worked, what didn’t and why. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 05:30 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Of all the things in the world, what made you decide on hypnosis? Have you always been a believer in hypnosis? Have you been hypnotized before? What were the results?

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 01-01-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,220 times
I have used it for other areas of my life and have found it to be amazing for helping me move past issues I was holding on to. I just wanted to see if anyone else has used it for this application and how it went.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
If it's worked for you in the past, try and see. What someone ELSE did is of no relevance... some can't even be hypnotized at all.

Weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out.... eat fewer than you burn and the body pulls from its stores and you become lighter. It's not rocket science. Most people struggle with 1 area, portion control (accounting for the calories consumed). I was Shocked at how small real portions are and Still struggle with it even having kept weight off for over a decade. It's too easy to drink a few hundred calories in a day that are never counted too.

If you want the $5 "intro to weight loss" package, buy a journal and pen, write down everything you consume, the volume and the calories. Without knowing how much you eat, there's no way you can make necessary changes. And you'll probably be amazed at just how fast calories add up in some foods.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J9ryan View Post
I have used it for other areas of my life and have found it to be amazing for helping me move past issues I was holding on to. I just wanted to see if anyone else has used it for this application and how it went.
If you're an emotional eater, or if you lack impulse control, then I think hypnosis can be very valuable if you use a well trained hypnotist.

No diet in the world will work unless you can stick to it. Sticking to it depends 90% (made up number based on my own experience) on what's going on in your thoughts and emotions. Hypnosis can help you gain control of your thoughts and emotions.

I have not personally tried it, but I know one acquaintance who did and she has kept the weight off for a decade or more. I take that back, I just remembered I did try it like 20 years ago but it was one of those assembly type hypnosis sessions where there were several hundred people sitting in the room. It did not work at all. But I'm sure this isn't the type of treatment you're talking about.

I think one-on-one hypnosis would be well worth a try if you have the money to do it. Does insurance cover that?

Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,104 times
I took my reluctant husband to be hypnotized. He was in his 50s and had smoked since he was 7 years old. It worked.

I enjoy the process and find it very relaxing.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:52 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J9ryan View Post
Hello there.

I wanted to learn more about trying hypnosis to achieve my weight loss goals. I’d love to hear from others who’ve tried it about what worked, what didn’t and why. Thanks.
Well, I have been doing it for 6 months and lost 35 pounds. I actually do guided meditation which I never heard of until someone else told me about it. I went to a website and bought a cd then got in some of their calls and did exactly what they said and it really worked. It help me changed my eating habits, so I am a big believer now. Go to their online store;
www.thevoiceofweightloss.com

I just checked and still have their samples up for you to hear. There's A CD that has this guided hypnosis Eat only when you are hungry. That did it for me. I should get paid but I don't get anything just happened to see your post.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,037 times
I have, and it didn't work for me whatsoever, though hypnosis has worked for other things.

What DID work, was going OFF all forms of SUGAR and especially High fructose corn syrup products long enough to stop being addicted to them. It was two weeks of bad withdrawal, but after that things went easy and the weight started coming off.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
I recall back in the 1980s my step mom trying the hypnosis program. She battled with weight ....
For 6-8 weeks she lost 10-15 lbs. She thought it was working. Then she hit the plateau phase and insisted it was a waste of money.

I'd like it to a conscious effort to change dietary habits. Not subjected to mantras . Do's work better then don't.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:06 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Found this thread this evening. My lovely SO would like to try hypnosis for weight loss. It sounds like it might work for some and not for others. So if she wants to give it a go, I'll support her efforts.

I know my late wife tried hypnosis to stop smoking. (This was a long time before we were married.) Left the office, got in the car, and immediately lit up a smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss