Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I agree with you and I'm definitely not advocating sugar replace more nutritious food. I consider simple sugars to be treats, to be eaten on occasion. While complex carbs like whole grains legumes and tubers do get broken down into sugar, they have a longer digestion time and, when paired with protein and a vegetable can achieve satiety. Unlike a cinnamon bun which is nothing but simple carbs and fat and you're hungry an hour later. People like to lump all things that contain carbohydrates as sugar and therefore bad. People don't pig out on stone ground wheat bread or beans. Even rice..many people stop at a cup and one half. I don't have the same cravings after eating a cup of rice as I do after eating a chocolate cookie. There's a distinction. I personally think that if one is physically able he/she shoukd be active and burn more. Our bodies are designed for activity. Previous generations did a lot of physical work and therefore burned a lot of calories. Today, we are a largely sedentary society young and old and that is just as bad if not worse than eating processed food imho.
Your body uses the sugar for fuel. Keep feeding it sugar and it will use what you eat for fuel, and you won't lose any weight. Eat less sugar and your body is not being fed it's fuel and has to search for other fuel, stored fat, to burn as fuel.

If you reduce sugar and reduce calories, you will start to lose weight. If you reduce cal only, you will also lose weight, it will just take longer. And you will be fighting your body's sugar cravings trying to cal intake low.

That is a very, very simplistic explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM

227 posts, read 247,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Your body uses the sugar for fuel. Keep feeding it sugar and it will use what you eat for fuel, and you won't lose any weight. Eat less sugar and your body is not being fed it's fuel and has to search for other fuel, stored fat, to burn as fuel.

If you reduce sugar and reduce calories, you will start to lose weight. If you reduce cal only, you will also lose weight, it will just take longer. And you will be fighting your body's sugar cravings trying to cal intake low.

What sucks is that I’m very addicted to sugar......

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:

if you create a suitable caloric deficit, your body will burn through the sugar you get from your food and turn to fat stores. I ate less food overall, so naturally my sugar consumption was less. but it wasn't eliminated. I still lost weight and inches.

You can achieve a suitable deficit by diet only (not the best method) or a combination of diet and exercise. I chose the latter and because I did that, I burned far more calories than someone who simply did things by diet alone.

I lost 1 lb a week on average, 2 lbs on some good weeks. Not bad considering I didn't give up anything and had 1-2 "cheat days". I'd rather lose "just" one pound eating what I liked than overly restricting my body and doing something that I didn't like. I like sugar. I beat the cravings by allowing myself two sugary treats per day, as long as their caloric content is below 200. If I eliminated or drastically reduced my sugar intake, I'd drive to the nearest dunkin donuts and pig out.

however, i don't let sugar crowd out more nutritious food. i follow the 80/20 rule, I eat nutritious food most of the time, but not all of the time.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I had lost 40lbs or so in the early 2000s. I did so without dieting or going to the gym. It also was not necessarily intentional.

What I did was to simply move more in conjunction with ending consumption of "sugary" drinks. Basically, I had gotten into longer-distanced hiking, where walking on a daily basis is a must and carrying soda or sports drinks is a stupid idea. So, I hiked a lot and drank/carried water. This isn't where I had lost weight, though. I had ended up doing the Long Trail and when I got back home two things had happened: one was that walking to destinations 5 or 6 miles away around town now seemed quite reasonable and I actually wanted to walk around town instead of driving. So, I started walking a lot. Or riding a bicycle. The other thing was that I also had kicked my sugary drink habit but I'd like to point out that I am not necessarily talking about sodas here as I was not much of a soda drinker to begin with. Upon return from the Long Trail, I basically only drank water (and coffee and beer) throughout the day: no sports drinks, no sodas, no fruit juices, lemonades, Kool-Aids, took my coffee black and so on. Correction, the coffee was in the morning and the beer was at night.

I also recall this being around the time when I had lost my sweet tooth. I remember one time I had taken a sip from a raspberry flavored iced-t and couldn't drink it because it was way too sweet. This was in 2004 or so. I also began to taste the sweetness in diet sodas (which I consumed when at pic-nics or other events where for some bizarre reason water was not available. Typical American thing, I suppose). Now, and I absolutely kid you not, I can even taste the sweetness in lemon and the tartness of a lemon is not as biting.

It did take me about three years to loose the weight, though, and surely could've done it faster if I cut out or cut down the beer. But as mentioned I was not intentionally looking to diet, it just happened.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
It is all about the calorie deficit when it comes to weight loss. Even if you are eating a lot of sugar.

If not, the guy who went on the Twinkie diet and lost something like 27 lbs, wouldn't of been possible.

He ate mostly sugar, but since he made sure he was in a calorie deficit, he lost weight.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
It is all about the calorie deficit when it comes to weight loss. Even if you are eating a lot of sugar.

If not, the guy who went on the Twinkie diet and lost something like 27 lbs, wouldn't of been possible.
Exactly. However you could scream that from the rooftops and it will still fall on deaf ears. There are so many examples of people eating crap and still losing weight. There was the science teacher that ate nothing but Mc Donalds and lost 56 pounds in 6 months.
Its not what you eat, its how much you eat. Of course focusing on nutrient dense foods would be the wise choice.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exactly. However you could scream that from the rooftops and it will still fall on deaf ears. There are so many examples of people eating crap and still losing weight. There was the science teacher that ate nothing but Mc Donalds and lost 56 pounds in 6 months.
Its not what you eat, its how much you eat. Of course focusing on nutrient dense foods would be the wise choice.
In the movie FatHead, he eats only fast food for a month, with a 3-mile walk i think 4-5x a week and loses 12 pounds in 28 days. His doctor was kinda annoyed, lol.

It's a great documentary, BTW. Good info and is pretty funny also.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
What sucks is that I’m very addicted to sugar......
Recognize that it absolutely IS an addiction, triggers the brain int he same way cocaine does.

You can beat it though. I suffered the same problem, would binge like crazy on anything sweet. These days I still love sweet, but I don't Have to have it, and I can have just a little and be okay. I also still allow myself a binge every now and then (once a year? Maybe 3 times in 2 years).

Do some searching on how to kick it, be absolutely Certain you don't just trade it for another addiction (very likely, very common), or at least not an unhealthy addiction. Addicted to 5 mile long hikes isn't going to hurt anyone...

Old 01-11-2018, 04:53 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
In the movie FatHead, he eats only fast food for a month, with a 3-mile walk i think 4-5x a week and loses 12 pounds in 28 days. His doctor was kinda annoyed, lol.

It's a great documentary, BTW. Good info and is pretty funny also.
Anybody know where he's at now? Did he keep it off?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Anybody know where he's at now? Did he keep it off?
Here's his website. From the pic I think so. The movie come out 8 or so years ago, I think. It's definitely worth the watch it really is funny. He is a comedian.

He actually did it because he said that SuperSize Me was a total lie. Part of FatHead has him calling repeatedly to get Morgan Spurlock's food logs to check the calorie counts. They never gave them to him.

Fat Head » About the Film
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss