Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
What sucks is that I’m very addicted to sugar......
That's a tough addiction, I can be too. Best way I've found to break it is doing a Keto eating plan, it will take away those cravings right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Love this! I’m working on getting a good nutrition plan set up with the gym. I loathe cooking, so I need easy, low calorie food ideas.

Again, thanks everyone for all the info! It’s a lot to take in, but I appreciate the advice.
check out cooking light and allrecipes.com. Lots of "light" recipes to be found for all cooking levels. Google Spicy Honey Brushed chicken thighs. VERY easy to make and tastes DAMN GOOD.

I used to like cooking, but it turned into a chore after awhile. I try and make lots of oven and skillet dishes and cook at the beginning of the week so that all I need to do is heat and eat during the week.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exactly. However you could scream that from the rooftops and it will still fall on deaf ears. There are so many examples of people eating crap and still losing weight. There was the science teacher that ate nothing but Mc Donalds and lost 56 pounds in 6 months.
Its not what you eat, its how much you eat. Of course focusing on nutrient dense foods would be the wise choice.
I don't disagree with this. Even if everything you eat is made of sugar, if you run a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

BUT, from my personal experience, counting calories was a miserable experience and I was hungry all the time. I lost 10 pounds and then gained it back when I stopped counting calories. Eliminating sugar and white flour from my diet allowed me to lose weight without counting calories and I rarely got hungry. And I've kept the weight off. To be sure, the reason I lost the weight was because I was eating fewer calories. But eating bacon and eggs for breakfast keeps me full til lunch, just like eating a sandwich on homemade, 100% whole wheat bread keeps me full til dinner.

People need to use whatever approach works for them. Sticking to "clean eating" works for me.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
What sucks is that I’m very addicted to sugar......
Me too. When you're ready, try giving it up cold turkey. I predict you'll be miserable for 2 weeks but then you won't miss it. You won't know til you try!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Here is what I do:

Oatmeal for breakfast. I normally just place a cup of oatmeal in a bowl, cup of water, heat it up for a couple minutes, pour a little milk on it and I do put in a little sugar.

Drink water between breakfast and lunch. Eat carrot sticks, an orange, or an apple between breakfast and lunch.

For lunch most days I have a 3 cup rubbermaid container filled with raw spinach, raw brocolli, and raw carrots. I do not use any kind of dressing on my vegetables. If you do, use it sparingly. I also have an apple and maybe an orange or when I want to go all out I will add a banana.

Between Lunch and Dinner I drink water and maybe an hour before I go home will have a granola bar. Now that it is cold here (Down to the high 50's) I will have a cup of hot chocolate

For dinner I eat what ever the family is having for dinner. After dinner that is it for me, other than drinking water all day.

After work also we go to out Taekwondo class and I get an hour work out there each night. My wife and I also go to the fitness center.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Me too. When you're ready, try giving it up cold turkey. I predict you'll be miserable for 2 weeks but then you won't miss it. You won't know til you try!
I agree. I cut WAAAAAY back and it's more habit pushing it than actually wanting it. Like, its 3:30, I SHOULD be having a snack, even though physically I'm not craving it. I don't want it. But the clock says snack time!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I agree. I cut WAAAAAY back and it's more habit pushing it than actually wanting it. Like, its 3:30, I SHOULD be having a snack, even though physically I'm not craving it. I don't want it. But the clock says snack time!
Cut out wheat from your diet and the appetite stimulating properties disappear almost entirely, reducing the need to snack. Modern wheat has extreme appetite stimulating properties that has been one of the primary factors to current ongoing obesity epidemic in the US. Very few overweight and obese people in the US in percentage terms prior to the mid 1980s before the introduction of modern wheat into the food supply. Now, big pharma is benefiting by selling so many drugs to combat the effects of obesity caused by modern wheat.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Cut out wheat from your diet and the appetite stimulating properties disappear almost entirely, reducing the need to snack. Modern wheat has extreme appetite stimulating properties that has been one of the primary factors to current ongoing obesity epidemic in the US. Very few overweight and obese people in the US in percentage terms prior to the mid 1980s before the introduction of modern wheat into the food supply. Now, big pharma is benefiting by selling so many drugs to combat the effects of obesity caused by modern wheat.
Your opinion of course. Dont forget to preface your unsubstantiated claims with it being your opinion, which of course is valid to you, but may not be for anyone else.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your opinion of course. Dont forget to preface your unsubstantiated claims with it being your opinion, which of course is valid to you, but may not be for anyone else.
I have no evidence for the hunger-increasing effective, but I do have evidence for the addictive properties!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6099562

Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Diets don't work. Never have and never will. Let's say you lose that 40lbs on the cabbage soup diet. As soon as that scale shows the magic number you go back to eating normally. Shazam, just like magic you balloon up to 165. You will always gain a few more pounds than your previous high weight. Those pounds you lost always bring a few friends. You are setting yourself up to fail and yoyo back and forth while you get heavier and heavier. And each time you lose, it's somewhat harder than it was the last time.

And believe me, you won't stay on the cabbage soup diet for the rest of your life. Whatever your eating plan is, it needs to support your goal weight and it needs to be sustainable long term. Most women just can't eat much. That's the way it is. Sure everyone knows one of those magical people who can eat as they please. But that's not you, or me, or most of us. Just get used to the idea you will be hungry and feel like you are not getting enough food for the rest of your life.

The easiest thing for me to do is very low carb. The reason is simple, there is always something I can eat. I do basically high protein, moderate fat, and as close to no carbs as I can get. Most of the carbs I do eat are green vegetables. But this doesn't work for everyone. You have to find what works best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss