Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,678,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Your opinion of course. Dont forget to preface your unsubstantiated claims with it being your opinion, which of course is valid to you, but may not be for anyone else.
No, not opinion when I read labels of food products that have WHEAT added to them for no reason at all, except to enhance flavoring and make people far more likely to eat more of the product- leading to increased profits and sales for the large companies that produce the end product. The fact that the percentage of obese and overweight individuals followed an exponential growth curve starting in the mid 1980s cannot be refuted, and modern wheat is certainly a key player regarding why we have a many billion dollar healthcare cost disaster, with the big pharmaceutical companies profiting enormously from the ill health of many Americans.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 01-13-2018 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,972,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Cut out wheat from your diet and the appetite stimulating properties disappear almost entirely, reducing the need to snack. Modern wheat has extreme appetite stimulating properties that has been one of the primary factors to current ongoing obesity epidemic in the US. Very few overweight and obese people in the US in percentage terms prior to the mid 1980s before the introduction of modern wheat into the food supply. Now, big pharma is benefiting by selling so many drugs to combat the effects of obesity caused by modern wheat.
You did not understand my point.

My point is most people are conditioned to eat at set times during the day. So they find themselves wanting something out of HABIT, not because of a craving.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:07 PM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Pretty much this. download a fitness app, find out how many calories you should consume to lose (try to stay below budget). try to sync food consumption with actual hunger (not thirst, boredom, etc.) Do not use the calories burned through exercise as a reason to eat more, despite what the apps say. if you are alotted 1600 calories, stay within that range whether you exercise or not. Drink plenty of water. It's what you do over time, not a few days or even a week. Good luck.
Good reminder, riaelise.

I just posted on another thread that while I managed to lose 27 pounds last year and still have a way to go, I ate too much junk like cookies and sweets over the past couple of weeks.

It doesn't happen overnight, and I have to remember that when I start up again my weight almost always rises a couple of pounds for the first week or two before the scale starts to show a lower number again. I want to be prepared for that this time so I don't get discouraged.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Use myfitnesspal.com to keep track of your calories every day.
+1 This can make all the difference in the world.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree with this and can't rep you again yet.

Also, match the seafood with good practices to ensure your circadian rhythm is matching nature so the leptin and other hormones release at the correct time. Make sure you get morning sunlight, eat breakfast and don't eat after dark. Your sleep should improve as well.
Well...kind of hard not to eat after dark when it's winter. It still gets dark long before I get home from work. I do understand the mentality behind not eating too late at night, but maybe it should not be based on the amount of sunlight but the number of hours before sleeping.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
What sucks is that I’m very addicted to sugar......
Once you get past it, you will learn that you don't really need it.

I was the same way. Sugar makes you feel happy, both the taste in your mouth and when it hits the blood stream--but it's a temporary happiness, and then you need more. Like somebody on here once said, it's just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant.

It's not as hard to get over using as some of the other substances, though. And eliminating most sugar will make a big difference in your weight and overall health.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Me too. When you're ready, try giving it up cold turkey. I predict you'll be miserable for 2 weeks but then you won't miss it. You won't know til you try!
I got serious about changing the way I eat earlier in 2017 when my doctor wanted to put me on blood sugar and cholesterol meds. I said, "NO." To me, those are old-people medicines (I know that's not necessarily true, lol, but for me it would be) and there was no reason for me to be on them when changing my diet could take care of the problems. I was so happy to go back to him in December and the numbers were all down. I have to keep going, though. I will be 60 this year, and I'm not turning 60 fat and tired and sick.

I live near the Jersey shore, and there is a homemade ice cream store about a mile from my house that stays open until midnight in summer. I did not eat ice cream all summer long. I don't know if you can understand what an enormous change that was for me. I usually ate ice cream almost every single day, winter and summer, and I ate NONE all summer until Labor Day Weekend, when I allowed myself one small cup at that store.

At one point in October, I was at a business event where companies had booths and many of them had candy in dishes at their table. On the last day, as I walked around doing one last schmooze, people were telling me to take as much candy as I wanted. The little snickers and milky ways and other chocolate bars and such. I filled my bag, and since I was leaving there to travel with an overnight stop, I sat in the hotel that night consuming candy in quantity for the first time in months.

I felt awful the next day from all the sugar. My body wasn't used to it. When I think how I WAS once used to eating that much sugar, it makes me kind of sick.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, not opinion when I read labels of food products that have WHEAT added to them for no reason at all, except to enhance flavoring and make people far more likely to eat more of the product- leading to increased profits and sales for the large companies that produce the end product. The fact that the percentage of obese and overweight individuals followed an exponential growth curve starting in the mid 1980s cannot be refuted, and modern wheat is certainly a key player regarding why we have a many billion dollar healthcare cost disaster, with the big pharmaceutical companies profiting enormously from the ill health of many Americans.
You know what startled me? My daughter was one of the first people I knew to realize the abdominal pain and bloating she was experiencing was from gluten, when she was still a teenager. She began to ask for the gf menu at restaurants, and I came to learn that mashed potatoes--which by most people's logic should be gluten free--were never on the gf menu. The reason is that they stir friggin FLOUR into mashed potatoes in restaurants to stretch them and to make them smooth.

Flour. In. Mashed. Potatoes. If I were Mighty Queen, I would outlaw that.

But I'm sure it contributes to the problems. There is crap hidden in our food that shouldn't be there.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,738,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
At one point in October, I was at a business event where companies had booths and many of them had candy in dishes at their table. On the last day, as I walked around doing one last schmooze, people were telling me to take as much candy as I wanted. The little snickers and milky ways and other chocolate bars and such. I filled my bag, and since I was leaving there to travel with an overnight stop, I sat in the hotel that night consuming candy in quantity for the first time in months.

I felt awful the next day from all the sugar. My body wasn't used to it. When I think how I WAS once used to eating that much sugar, it makes me kind of sick.
I understand this completely. I went mostly sugar free from July until November this year and slowly ramped it back up over the holidays. But eating it now can make me feel queasy. And eating sugar definitely makes me hungrier later. Eating sugar at night makes me wake up hungry and having something sweet for breakfast makes me hungry all day.

I started back on the no sugar standard yesterday and look forward to feeling in control of my consumption again.

And congratulations on taking control of your health!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I understand this completely. I went mostly sugar free from July until November this year and slowly ramped it back up over the holidays. But eating it now can make me feel queasy. And eating sugar definitely makes me hungrier later. Eating sugar at night makes me wake up hungry and having something sweet for breakfast makes me hungry all day.

I started back on the no sugar standard yesterday and look forward to feeling in control of my consumption again.

And congratulations on taking control of your health!
Thank you. I feel good that I've been able to get this far, and I will keep going.

Getting rid of some of the negative thinking I used to employ has been helpful. For example, there were times in the past when at a point like this--when I've been eating badly/cookies/candy/too much bread over the holidays and not exercising enough--I would just think, "Oh well, I blew it", and then I would give up.

Now my outlook is, "OK you f'd up, that was yesterday, this is a new day, start again."

I'm also not in any huge rush to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time. The only time frame I have in my head is that I will be 60 this year, and I want to be in a good place health-wise on August 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss