U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:30 PM

28,095 posts, read 32,294,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Anyone have suggestions that do not include meat, egg, cheese?

I've looked online and most include those ingredients. Anyone make any of the porridges or noatmeals? Any success? Good or bad?

TIA.
Chia seed pudding is one of my go tos.
https://wellnessmama.com/59344/chia-seed-pudding/

I typically just do chia seeds, vanilla, nut milk, nuts, spices, and maybe a little bit of honey. And some fruit. It is super quick to make and easy to adjust to lower the carbs (i.e. don't use dried fruit, use berries, use stevia).

If you grind the chia seeds you get a more pudding like texture. Or it is like tapioca without grinding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Status: "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." (set 14 days ago)

17,366 posts, read 20,077,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Anyone have suggestions that do not include meat, egg, cheese?

I've looked online and most include those ingredients. Anyone make any of the porridges or noatmeals? Any success? Good or bad?

TIA.
Breakfast is the first meal after a period of not eating, especially after a period of sleep. There is no requirement that breakfast include eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, etc.

So if you don't eat eggs, meat, or cheese, have for breakfast what you might have for any other meal.

I usually don't eat a morning breakfast as I prefer to break my fast after noon, but I have had steak and roasted veg, or leftover chicken with sliced , fresh tomatoes before 10am numerous times.

Porrige and oatmeal don't qualify as low-carb unless you are having very small portions.

All that said, here is a search I did on google for low carb granola recipes you might like. No meat, no eggs, and low carb, especially if you use an artificial sweetner.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:41 PM

11,476 posts, read 3,613,257 times
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The low carb granola looks good and I'll take a stab at cream cheese pancakes and chia seed pudding, too.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:03 PM

9,153 posts, read 7,966,173 times
When I eat breakfast it's often vegetables. I always have a bowl of cole slaw in the fridge made with home made vinaigrette, and a big serving of that hits the spot for me.

I was gonna suggest an avocado but they are higher in carbs that I realized. 17 carbs in 325 calories.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 PM

10,143 posts, read 18,601,891 times
You could always skip breakfast or push it back to another time too. I found that I prefer not to eat in the mornings, beyond my morning coffee with real organic cream.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:00 PM

6,011 posts, read 7,427,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
When I eat breakfast it's often vegetables. I always have a bowl of cole slaw in the fridge made with home made vinaigrette, and a big serving of that hits the spot for me.

I was gonna suggest an avocado but they are higher in carbs that I realized. 17 carbs in 325 calories.
They are high in calories, but they are very good for you. In fact, much healthier than your cole slaw.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 PM

35,540 posts, read 64,804,098 times
You can eat whatever you want for breakfast.

A porridge recipe: 1/4 C golden flax meal, 1/4 C coconut flour. Mix them in a saucepan, adding enough water to your desired consistency. Coconut flour sucks up a lot of water!

From there, cook it over low heat until it's hot the whole way through, and add cinnamon, your preferred sugar substitute, a bit of butter or coconut oil, milk or cream, or anything else you'd like.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM

985 posts, read 1,466,421 times
So I don't like eggs, and try to keep it low carb (sometimes), so I eat a lot of "non traditional" foods for breakfast, such as:
- Burger with no bun
- Chili
- Taco soup
- Grilled salmon

(They are usually last night's leftovers).

When I'm trying to do traditional low carb breakfast, I usually do:
- Johnsonville Turkey Smoked Sausage
- Breakfast veggie/chicken wraps in a low carb tortilla
- Good ole bacon with a side of "cauliflower" hashed browns (sauteed cauliflower with onions, cheese, and seasonings)
- Hot ham and cheese, no bread (warmed up ham with cheddar or swiss cheese)

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 AM

9,153 posts, read 7,966,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They are high in calories, but they are very good for you. In fact, much healthier than your cole slaw.
Lucky, the OP wanted LOW CARB breakfasts. Dunno why you're talking calories.

And why is cole slaw unhealthy now?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:36 AM

6,011 posts, read 7,427,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Lucky, the OP wanted LOW CARB breakfasts. Dunno why you're talking calories.

And why is cole slaw unhealthy now?
Yes your right. I should have mentioned carbs instead of calories. Avocados are still an excellent choice. If your cole slaw is typical it has cabbage, maybe some carrot and mayonnaise. Not exactly a nutrient or protein powerhouse.. If it fills you up and works for you fine. I was just implying one shouldn't skip the avocados because they offer a lot nutrient wise. And they are very filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss