U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:44 AM

23,515 posts, read 25,108,179 times

Advertisements

My breakfast most mornings is a smoothie consisting if 1/2 small banana, 2 C frozen spinach (I buy fresh spinach and toss it in a bag and freeze it) and about 1 C frozen mixed berries. Add enough water to blend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM

9,153 posts, read 7,971,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Yes your right. I should have mentioned carbs instead of calories. Avocados are still an excellent choice. If your cole slaw is typical it has cabbage, maybe some carrot and mayonnaise. Not exactly a nutrient or protein powerhouse.. If it fills you up and works for you fine. I was just implying one shouldn't skip the avocados because they offer a lot nutrient wise. And they are very filling.
My post that you quoted specifically said the cole slaw has home made vinaigrette. No mayo. No sugar. No sweetener. Cabbage is a wise nutritional choice, and it fits into a low carb plan.

The OP may decide not choose avocado no matter how healthy it is because they have chosen a low carb diet. 17 carbs is a lot for one meal. The low carb diets I'm aware of limit carbs to 20 - 50 per day.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Status: "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." (set 16 days ago)

17,367 posts, read 20,091,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I was gonna suggest an avocado but they are higher in carbs that I realized. 17 carbs in 325 calories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

The OP may decide not choose avocado no matter how healthy it is because they have chosen a low carb diet. 17 carbs is a lot for one meal. The low carb diets I'm aware of limit carbs to 20 - 50 per day.
75% of the carbohydrates in avocados are metabolically inert fibers.

A large avocado has about 20 carbs. About 15 of those are fiber resulting in a net count of 5 carbs to stimulate insulin, which is borderline negligible, especially given the low glycemic load, a result of avocado's accomanying high fat content.

And that is a lot of avocado for one meal. Most people would consume half of that, or 2.5 net carbs, in an average meal.

Avocados are a low carb food in terms of its effect on metabolism and hormone release. If trying to lose weight, I would be more concerned with keeping track of avocado's calorie count than it's gross carb count.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:29 PM

38,901 posts, read 24,539,727 times
Yogurt and cottage cheese.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM

11,476 posts, read 3,618,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yogurt and cottage cheese.
I wish I liked yogurt.

I try it every few years, the good stuff too, just to see if my taste has changed, and I always hate it. Bah.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 AM

17,496 posts, read 35,422,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This morning I had salmon cooked in the toaster oven with jalapeno ranch dressing on top, plus roasted cabbage that I made yesterday. I buy the frozen salmon patties and they're quick to make.

Do you eat seafood? I have shrimp sometimes too, it's quick.
I love those salmon burgers, I used to buy them at Sam’s Club but unfortunately they have stopped selling them . I would grill two of them and put a little spicy mayo on top, it made a perfect low carb breakfast or lunch.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:49 PM

67,633 posts, read 63,127,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I love those salmon burgers, I used to buy them at Sam’s Club but unfortunately they have stopped selling them . I would grill two of them and put a little spicy mayo on top, it made a perfect low carb breakfast or lunch.
Trader Joe's has good frozen salmon burgers. Not everyone has TJ's near them, I know.

I don't think I have a Sam's Club.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 PM

5,257 posts, read 4,911,373 times
I eat can of tuna or other fish in morn. Oats & yogurt occasionally. But 2 cooked Trader Joe's Omega 3 Organic eggs & a can of tuna really help Stop appetite.

I have GI issues so must limit carbs & even too many oats rile my gut ala' a horse. TJ's Basmati brown rice w/ their low sodium Chick broth (I know I sound as an ad for TJ's, lol) but serIOUSLY it works for me so I'll keep it up.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM

2,252 posts, read 1,127,902 times
I have been making pancakes with almond flour, coconut flour, flax, crushed nuts. Theres is an egg in the batter but for the most part its just these ingedience with a little baking soda, salt, and tapioca starch.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:19 AM

13,497 posts, read 5,824,048 times
Eat carbs. They're fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss