Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

I think this is a culture-altering development. Autophagy, if I understand correctly, is a sort of cleaning up ("disassembling") of miscellaneous cell components, and is facilitated by fasting. It seems to me that the Nobel committee doesn't give prizes for inaccurate research.

How to renew your body: Fasting and autophagy
October 5 2016 by Dr. Jason Fung, M.D. in Intermittent fasting
Quote:
On October 3rd, the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine to Yoshinori Ohsumi for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
This is fascinating. I never heard of autophagy but am headed down the rabbit hole now. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
This is fascinating. I never heard of autophagy but am headed down the rabbit hole now. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah. I am very much looking forward to the effects of the Intermittent Fasting (OMAD) I've been doing. There are dozens of positive outcomes and after nearly two months, I'm beginning to feel them. It's easy to do, inexpensive, painless and effective.

The only negative I'm experiencing is just a change of habits. But I welcome these changes. Eating when you're bored, or by the clock, or for emotional reasons--all have to go. I was not even aware of them. And letting the body rest from digesting food is a great relief.

I have my one big meal in the morning and then nothing until the following morning. During the fasting period I allow myself water, decaf green tea with stevia, black coffee or a drink made from

2 T Apple cider vinegar
1 T lemon juice
Dash pink Himalayan salt
1/2 t cinnamon
Stevia
12 oz. water over ice
[Note: if you're concerned about the effect of vinegar or lemon juice on your teeth, use a straw]

What I have discovered, especially during the first two weeks, is that if I have a moment, usually in the late afternoon, where I feel a deep sense of hunger -- I can observe the feeling, but I don't have to act on it. And very quickly, it goes away.

As an aside, I'm vegan so my one meal does not include eggs, dairy, any animal flesh, and I take B complex and D. I've also been taking CBD oil (not psychoactive, only .03% THC--does not get you high), the last six weeks or so. I'm 68. My aches and pains are gone, I'm lighter on my feet and I feel better every day.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-20-2018 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 AM

Searching on "Benefits of Intermittent Fasting" on Bing, I got:

Quote:
What are the benefits of intermittent fasting?
The benefits of Intermittent Fasting include: Increasing lifespan. Increasing insulin sensitivity, which has many health benefits in and of itself. Lowering blood lipids, triglycerides and other markers of metabolic syndrome. Fighting/preventing cancer. Increasing growth hormone secretion (which builds muscle and burns fat).
and. .

5 Science-Backed Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
https://www.eatthis.com/intermittent-fasting-benefits/

Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
I'm always leery when real science is used to peddle stuff. That said, at least that particular site is only peddling information rather than useless supplements. But yeah, it's long been understood that autophagy is activated, at least in part, by starvation response. How and why were the questions.

Here's the link to the actual lecture which is more written for general consumption as an academic study. It's on my reading list, so thanks OP!
https://assets.nobelprize.org/upload...440.1534775659

Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'm always leery when real science is used to peddle stuff. That said, at least that particular site is only peddling information rather than useless supplements. But yeah, it's long been understood that autophagy is activated, at least in part, by starvation response. How and why were the questions.

Here's the link to the actual lecture which is more written for general consumption as an academic study. It's on my reading list, so thanks OP!
Thank you so much for that document!

FWIW, proponents of Intermittent Fasting make a point of distinguishing between fasting and starving.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Thank you so much for that document!

FWIW, proponents of Intermittent Fasting make a point of distinguishing between fasting and starving.
Mostly that's just a distinction without a difference. Biologically either a fast is long enough to induce a starvation response and the health benefits associated with it or it is not. The idea behind IF is mostly that you can get much of the benefits of regular starvation response by doing so regularly for short durations without the less desirable side effects one gets from more traditional longer fasts of 3-14 days like muscle wasting. The starvation response, however, is still essential. It's a specific and intentional starvation as opposed to there just not being enough food available resulting in starvation.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Mostly that's just a distinction without a difference. Biologically either a fast is long enough to induce a starvation response and the health benefits associated with it or it is not. The idea behind IF is mostly that you can get much of the benefits of regular starvation response by doing so regularly for short durations without the less desirable side effects one gets from more traditional longer fasts of 3-14 days like muscle wasting. The starvation response, however, is still essential. It's a specific and intentional starvation as opposed to there just not being enough food available resulting in starvation.
I was just making a note that the distinction is carefully made on web pages and YouTube videos devoted to the subject.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:

Malloric, if it's alright with you, I'm going to repeat this because I think it is important:

Link to paper on Autophagy by a Nobel prizewinner:

Yoshinori Ohsumi (大隅 良典, Ōsumi Yoshinori, born February 9, 1945) is a Japanese cell biologist specializing in autophagy, the process that cells use to destroy and recycle cellular components. Ohsumi is a professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology's Institute of Innovative Research.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinori_Ohsumi

Also see his web page:
http://www.ohsumilab.aro.iri.titech.ac.jp/english.html

Old 08-27-2018, 07:43 AM

244 posts, read 235,585 times
This is an interesting documentary. Free if you have Amazon Prime. The Science of Fasting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss