Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:00 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,383,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Eat carbs. They're fine.
Not for everyone. I’m sure the OP has reasons.

I like low carb protein shakes. I make them myself but I keep Atkins French vanilla for when I have to run out quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 AM

3,259 posts, read 4,975,378 times
Vegetable soup! Use whatever veggies you like. Example: https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/wei...ss-magic-soup/

Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 AM

1,016 posts, read 305,434 times
Any kind of broth or soup you like, yogurt, berries, melon, sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes, vegetable stir fry in oil or butter, nuts, avocado with lemon juice or sour cream, a cup of coffee with cream, canned smoked fish or any kind of fish you like. Plain lightly salted rice cakes are only 7 g apiece, and you can spread some butter or peanut butter on that and have it with a cup of tea or coffee.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,499,452 times
My favorite breakfast is a smoothie made from non fat Greek yogurt, a tbsp of almond butter, a sprinkling of walnuts, a few dashes of turmeric, a squirt of honey (but you could use stevia - I'm not a purist - LOL), and a splash of milk or water. YUM. I feel like I'm having a DQ blizzard and it's super bad - except it's not!

Old 08-21-2018, 05:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,422,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My favorite breakfast is a smoothie made from non fat Greek yogurt, a tbsp of almond butter, a sprinkling of walnuts, a few dashes of turmeric, a squirt of honey (but you could use stevia - I'm not a purist - LOL), and a splash of milk or water. YUM. I feel like I'm having a DQ blizzard and it's super bad - except it's not!
You may want to compare the low fat to the whole milk yogurt. The lowest and healthiest IMO is the greek whole milk yogurt. I like it with berries such as strawberries and some kind of fiber. Since I don't do regular granola, I add flax meal or Psyllium Husk for a nutty and crunchy texture.

YMMV of course and the labels tell the whole story.

Typical Carb Counts for Plain Yogurt
A 6-ounce serving of plain yogurt contains these typical carb counts:

Whole milk Greek yogurt: 7 grams of carbohydrate
Whole milk yogurt: 8 grams of carbohydrate.
Low-fat yogurt: 12 grams of carbohydrate
Nonfat or skim milk yogurt: 13 grams of carbohydrate

https://www.verywellfit.com/eating-y...b-diet-2242531

Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,528,829 times
Someone told me about that chia pudding mentioned previously. I soaked the chia seeds overnight in almond milk and, in the morning I added chopped nuts and cold almond milk. It was pretty good, like a pudding.

Another breakfast I make is from bone broth. I just take a chicken carcass and put it into the slow cooker overnight and the next day. Then there's broth for breakfast and I can add chopped chicken or vegetables. Sometime you might want to make miso soup out of it using dried seaweed (it's expensive but lasts forever) and a bit of miso.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,657,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You may want to compare the low fat to the whole milk yogurt. The lowest and healthiest IMO is the greek whole milk yogurt. I like it with berries such as strawberries and some kind of fiber. Since I don't do regular granola, I add flax meal or Psyllium Husk for a nutty and crunchy texture.

YMMV of course and the labels tell the whole story.

Typical Carb Counts for Plain Yogurt
A 6-ounce serving of plain yogurt contains these typical carb counts:

Whole milk Greek yogurt: 7 grams of carbohydrate
Whole milk yogurt: 8 grams of carbohydrate.
Low-fat yogurt: 12 grams of carbohydrate
Nonfat or skim milk yogurt: 13 grams of carbohydrate

https://www.verywellfit.com/eating-y...b-diet-2242531
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Non fat usually translates to high carb. I avoid all non/low fat items for that very reason.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 AM

48,413 posts, read 34,578,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Non fat usually translates to high carb. I avoid all non/low fat items for that very reason.
I just read the label.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,657,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I just read the label.
So do I. That's how I've noticed that non/low fat equates to high carb.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:42 AM

48,413 posts, read 34,578,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
So do I. That's how I've noticed that non/low fat equates to high carb.
Well my fat free yogurt has 7 g carbs. That's not too high for most people.

I do prefer full fat, grass fed greek yogurt, but Costco doesn't carry that and it is more than double the cost, so it's a treat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss