Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times

Advertisements

Stress is a huge factor, as Austinitegirl points out. Not only can it add to "stress eating," it ups cortisol production which causes fat to build up around our midsection. Double whammy. And even if we don't stress eat, it can cause our bodies to hold on to weight stubbornly.

But eating healthy foods and being active can decrease stress levels! That's the good part. Double benny!

And speaking of cortisol and midsection fat - I only lost 1 pound - ONE POUND - all the month of May. But guess what - I lost 12 inches - and nearly all of it in my midsection. (In fact, factored into that loss is an GAIN of an inch in my legs from working out more).

So for me anyway, calories aren't everything, and even actual weight loss isn't everything. As Rosco Conkling pointed out - it's a lifestyle that's the most important thing.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:02 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,065,789 times
Kathryn, you have mentioned how eating only a small portion of a carb can cause you to gain weight and I am finding that this is the case for me.

What accounts for this? How can I gain a pound overnight? Is it fluid retention?

Very frustrating!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:29 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Kathryn, you have mentioned how eating only a small portion of a carb can cause you to gain weight and I am finding that this is the case for me.

What accounts for this? How can I gain a pound overnight? Is it fluid retention?

Very frustrating!
Yes, it's fluid. You really can't gain a pound of fat overnight.
Also fat isn't lost as easily either.

Salt also causes water retention. Are the carbs you're eating also higher in sodium (aka snack foods)?

I've found that exercise really helps with retained water.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,236,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, a few months ago I was headed toward a midlife crisis, and not a psychological one. I just thought that being fluffy and inactive and not sleeping all that well, aches and pains, and being prediabetic was part of typical middle age.

But I didn't want to become diabetic and since I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and my blood sugar was creeping upward and now into the prediabetic levels, I felt like it was inevitable unless I took some action.

So I cut out carbs and sugar and unhealthy fats, and began exercising more regularly. Long story short, I have lost 22 pounds since February 1. And the other day I had my yearly physical.

My blood pressure was 106/66! My fasting blood sugar was back down to 88 when it had been over 100! ALL my labs were within completely normal range, except that my healthy HDL was high. I take that back - I had had a slight uptick in triglycerides but I think that is due to eating more red meat than I usually do while cutting back on other stuff, so that's easy to address. My doctor wasn't concerned about this and in fact was very impressed overall. I am 56 and feel better than I have in years!

I just wanted to post this to encourage others to lose some weight. Even a little weight loss can have a pretty immediate and positive impact on our health.

WOOHOOO!
I obviously have the slowest and most sluggish metabolism on the planet because despite doing the same as you after a couple of months and swimming laps and walking daily and phys therapy twice a week I’m lucky I’ve lost 5 lbs I am not giving up, I feel healthy but shifting 40 lbs isnt likely to happen, my body seems to cling onto fat like a desperate beast of some kind. Upping my exercise is not an option. Eating less is not an option either, I already eat a sensible paleo diet. Grrr.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,065,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, it's fluid. You really can't gain a pound of fat overnight.
Also fat isn't lost as easily either.

Salt also causes water retention. Are the carbs you're eating also higher in sodium (aka snack foods)?

I've found that exercise really helps with retained water.
No, no snack foods. The carbs I've eaten have been bread and pasta which come with our Blue Apron meals. I'm not willing to give up my Blue Apron.

Although this weight gain overnight has to be from fluid, I have no obvious signs of fluid retention.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I obviously have the slowest and most sluggish metabolism on the planet because despite doing the same as you after a couple of months and swimming laps and walking daily and phys therapy twice a week I’m lucky I’ve lost 5 lbs I am not giving up, I feel healthy but shifting 40 lbs isnt likely to happen, my body seems to cling onto fat like a desperate beast of some kind. Upping my exercise is not an option. Eating less is not an option either, I already eat a sensible paleo diet. Grrr.
whatever you do DON'T give up. It seems daunting but you can do it. I, too, thought it was impossible. I was 70 lbs overweight and since I was over 40 my metabolism took a nosedive. But you know what, the seventy pounds came off. It isn't how fast you get to the finish line, it's just getting there. Set little goals and pat yourself on the back each time you attain one.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
No, no snack foods. The carbs I've eaten have been bread and pasta which come with our Blue Apron meals. I'm not willing to give up my Blue Apron.

Although this weight gain overnight has to be from fluid, I have no obvious signs of fluid retention.
Hey, I get you. I'm not giving up my week day lean cuisine. Can't beat convenience sometimes
Pre-packaged meals are notoriously higher in sodium. The bread definitely in all likelihood has a lot of salt. The pasta probably comes with sauce of some sort. I usually eat my pasta with no sauce, believe it or not, or maybe just a tablespoon of marinara, not a liberal dousing.

what is the portion size of the pasta? I try to eat no more than a cup. unless the meal is specific to weight control, the portion may be too high.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 AM

9,941 posts, read 7,835,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Boy, I understand this! I also can't lose an ounce swimming laps (or biking), so I do it just for strength and endurance, and so I can beat my grandkids in swim races. Fast walking, including lots of hills, is my best calorie burner at my age, for many years, actually. My favorite activity is hiking in the mountains, but can't lose a pound doing that either, I do that for my mental health and all over stamina (lungs, heart, legs, joy).

Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,236,337 times
thank you Kara and Ria. We have done quite a bit walking on our travels exploring our new state and I agree. I exercise is for mental health, stamina, and to strengthen my back and left leg (why I needed phys therapy). it's lucky too that I just absolutely love to walk and swim. I find the paleo diet is the best one I've ever come across as it feels healthy and I don't have to be paranoid about calories, although I will need to modify it and include some dairy and some farro for health reasons. I take a hormone blocker as part of my post cancer treatment, and so bone health is something I have to really watch for. Trust me, I will not be giving up. I don't miss packaged foods or sugar, and I don't seem to have developed any craving, so this is a lifetime diet plan for me. It helps to come here and get support, and any tips, so again thank you.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
Quote:

Very frustrating!
I don't know but I do know that when I cut out carbs I lose weight even though I've added healthy fats back into my daily meal plan.

I can eat some carbs such as a modest amount of baked potato, the carbs found in other veggies, etc. I can have a small amount of rice. Yesterday I had quinoa and had no issues. It's gluten that's the biggest culprit, closely followed by beans and corn! Oh and I can have small amounts of sugar - for instance I had flan the other day with no problem, and I can also have moderate amounts of natural sugars like honey and maple syrup - but honestly - half a piece of whole wheat dry toast and I gain weight. It's crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss