Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Kathryn, you have mentioned how eating only a small portion of a carb can cause you to gain weight and I am finding that this is the case for me.

What accounts for this? How can I gain a pound overnight? Is it fluid retention?
Here's a simplified explanation of why that happens:

Carbohydrates when eaten are broken down into simple sugars, including glucose, to be absorbed and used for energy. Glucose not immediately used is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen. Glycogen molecules bind with water in a ratio of at least 3-1 (3 water molecules to one glycogen molecule). Sometimes the ratio is even higher.

So long story short: yep, eating carbs causes you to retain water.

(I learned this back when I used to run 5k's. Like many runners, I'd carb-load before a race but I always expended the glycogen during the race so didn't retain the water.)

Old 06-13-2018, 11:02 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
OK, I'm down about 8 lbs so far. I've cut out most carbs except those in vegetables, beans, corn once in a blue moon, cauliflower. Every other carb way way down. No added sugar at all. I don't find carbs trigger me to eat more, but they sure use up the calorie allotment quick! I am no longer panicked when I feel hungry. I guess I'm over some of the mental block I used to have.

Do find that I get bored when the pantry gets thin, not finding anything appealing to eat. That's a problem because right now I'm trying not to drive or shop very much. I fell and chipped a bone inside my right wrist and working the key / ignition is really hard. I can't tell my DH what to get because mostly I have to look at things to see what's appealing. He's still bringing junk into the house, although not as much. HE doesn't have a weight problem.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
OK, I'm down about 8 lbs so far. I've cut out most carbs except those in vegetables, beans, corn once in a blue moon, cauliflower. Every other carb way way down. No added sugar at all. I don't find carbs trigger me to eat more, but they sure use up the calorie allotment quick! I am no longer panicked when I feel hungry. I guess I'm over some of the mental block I used to have.

Do find that I get bored when the pantry gets thin, not finding anything appealing to eat. That's a problem because right now I'm trying not to drive or shop very much. I fell and chipped a bone inside my right wrist and working the key / ignition is really hard. I can't tell my DH what to get because mostly I have to look at things to see what's appealing. He's still bringing junk into the house, although not as much. HE doesn't have a weight problem.
What about an apple or orange or some strawberries? Or those little clementines? (Like two or three of them.) You could cut the apple into very thin slices and eat it like chips.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Here's a simplified explanation of why that happens:

Carbohydrates when eaten are broken down into simple sugars, including glucose, to be absorbed and used for energy. Glucose not immediately used is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen. Glycogen molecules bind with water in a ratio of at least 3-1 (3 water molecules to one glycogen molecule). Sometimes the ratio is even higher.

So long story short: yep, eating carbs causes you to retain water.

(I learned this back when I used to run 5k's. Like many runners, I'd carb-load before a race but I always expended the glycogen during the race so didn't retain the water.)
I don't run, but I am active, and that would probably explain why I don't have a water retention issue with carbohydrates. I eat just under 200g of carbs a day. I don't consider that carb loading, but to others, it may be. In any event, by working out, I am burning up whatever glycogen that's available, and by doing sustained, longer workouts I am putting a demand on my body for more. I guess that's why when i was losing, I was burning up not only the glycogen from the day but also any stored glycogen.

Salt, on the other hand, is terrible for me. Too much sugar also causes water retention issues. It really does matter what types of carbs that you eat. I don't have issues with beans, potatoes, even rice if salt is kept low. Very often things like bread come packaged with salt, so I really just eat a slice and no more. One cookie doesn't seem to do anything crazy, but yesterday I ate a smores bar and it made me feel weird. It was good, don't get me wrong, but I don't eat that much concentrated sugar daily so it hits me pretty hard.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:08 AM

Just wanted to update - I've now lost 35 pounds. WOOHOOO!!!! Just had bloodwork done and my labs are PERFECT. My doc says I'm in fabulous health. My Vitamin D and my iron levels are at the max of healthy! No prediabetes! No high cholesterol! Blood pressure and pulse are great!

I feel fantastic.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Congrats Kathryn, that's awesome!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2018, 10:46 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just wanted to update - I've now lost 35 pounds. WOOHOOO!!!! Just had bloodwork done and my labs are PERFECT. My doc says I'm in fabulous health. My Vitamin D and my iron levels are at the max of healthy! No prediabetes! No high cholesterol! Blood pressure and pulse are great!

I feel fantastic.

Oh this is fantastic kathryn, cheers.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:33 PM

Thanks, y'all. I just realized that I weigh less now than I have in the past six years!!!!!

Old 06-26-2018, 11:04 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
That's wonderful news Kathryn!

I haven't lost anywhere near the amount you have.....nevertheless am looking forward to next doctor visit and lab work. Would like to bring down blood pressure and glucose level.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
That's wonderful news Kathryn!

I haven't lost anywhere near the amount you have.....nevertheless am looking forward to next doctor visit and lab work. Would like to bring down blood pressure and glucose level.
Well, if you're losing weight, those labs are probably moving in the right direction! GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss