Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

I'm desperate here. It's only spring, only 65 outside, yet it's in the 80s in my apartment all night long, despite opening windows at night and using fans to circulate the heat out.

I live in a high rise condo apartment downtown, corner unit, with floor to ceiling glass on the South and West sides, on an upper floor. There's no AC.

Property management won't allow any modifications to the windows (not even solar film), no window AC allowed, the windows aren't designed to accommodate curtains (meaning no blackout shades)...

I'm dying already, and it's only spring. RIP me when it's summer.

That's why I'm wondering if, for my own survival, I should lose as much weight as possible?

I'm 5'10 and 133 lbs right now, with an average body temperature of 99.8 (it's always been like that, doctors have ruled out health issues).

At what BMI were you when you noticed feeling colder more easily? I swear to god I'm not joking. I'll go on a crash diet if it'll help me survive the summer, but I don't want to go on a diet and look like a stick insect for nothing if my plan is unlikely to work.

And yes, I have lost my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
How old are you? Could hormone changes be making you feel warmer than usual?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm desperate here. It's only spring, only 65 outside, yet it's in the 80s in my apartment all night long, despite opening windows at night and using fans to circulate the heat out.

I live in a high rise condo apartment downtown, corner unit, with floor to ceiling glass on the South and West sides, on an upper floor. There's no AC.

Property management won't allow any modifications to the windows (not even solar film), no window AC allowed, the windows aren't designed to accommodate curtains (meaning no blackout shades)...

That's why I'm wondering if, for my own survival, I should lose as much weight as possible?

I'm 5'10 and 133 lbs right now, with an average body temperature of 99.8 (it's always been like that, doctors have ruled out health issues).

At what BMI were you when you noticed feeling colder more easily? I swear to god I'm not joking. I'll go on a crash diet if it'll help me survive the summer, but I don't want to go on a diet and look like a stick insect for nothing if my plan is unlikely to work.

This is the first thing that came to my mind, you are quite slender for your height and to be so hot when it's 65 outside. It's 65 here outside and I'm chilly today, it's cloudy and overcast day -- what area of the world do you reside, I wonder.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373659

Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Even when I was uber skinny, I was alwats too hot.

So check yourself out.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How old are you? Could hormone changes be making you feel warmer than usual?
I'm 27. I don't think it's hormones since I've always been like this.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

You rented an apartment that did not have A/C - suck it up buttercup.

Wrap yourself in a wet sheet and stand in front of the fan. I guarantee you will cool off.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:14 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
What do your neighbors do about it?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You rented an apartment that did not have A/C - suck it up buttercup.

Wrap yourself in a wet sheet and stand in front of the fan. I guarantee you will cool off.
I'm in San Francisco...AC in apartments is very rare.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What do your neighbors do about it?
I have no freaking idea. They just suffer too, I guess.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Ms. Wander, the hypothalamus gland (which is part of the brain) regulates body temperature. Have you had an MRI?
You already know your temp is too high. I once asked an RN (as they were taking my temp) did they think 98.6 would always be the standard. They told me that in their opinion, the human body would begin to become cooler, not warmer.

You are too young to be going through any change this extreme, there has to be another reason. Look into this young One. I hope you find an answer. Extreme heat is not a good thing to experience. Best of luck to you.

note: When my wife went through change of life, we used to take wet kitchen towels rung out, and then place in freezer. They froze solid. When she suffered a bout of over heat, she would then wrap a frozen (still bendable)
towel around her neck. It instantly cooled her down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss