Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,015 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys. I started losing weight in May 2017 and have lost 75 pounds over the past year. I recently started a Youtube channel and shared my transformation story. I would love for you to watch the video and give your feedback. Is it helpful? Do you find it interesting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3KZrjE3kxQ

I am going to be working on adding a new video every week as well. I would love some feedback if you have any ideas about any new videos that I should do or if you want to collaborate.

Also, I've recently reached a plateau. I still have around 30-40 more pounds of fat to lose I believe. I would love to know if you have any helpful tips for getting past a plateau. I don't feel defeated or discouraged but it would be nice to get the ball rolling again after being so successful over the past 13 months.

Thanks again in advance for your honest feedback. I would love to hear from you. And I would also love it if you'd subscribe and follow along for the rest of the journey.

Things are getting so exciting for me and I'm so close to reaching my dream body goals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 03:26 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Based on my experiences, I would suggest consuming fewer calories than your body is burning; that's a fantastic plateau buster.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Based on my experiences, I would suggest consuming fewer calories than your body is burning; that's a fantastic plateau buster.
Thanks! I definitely think I need to adjust my calorie intake. I've done that over time but it seems like my current suggested calorie intake isn't really working for me anymore. I use MyFitnessPal to track calories and it's still saying I should eat 2100 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I may need to adjust that lower. I think my metabolism might have slowed down quite a bit or something. I usually come in right around 2100 calories but there's also a margin of error on nutrition labels and I know that food normally have more calories in them than what is listed.

I think I'm also having a mental plateau where I don't feel as motivated. I've been doing this for 13 months and have been less social during that time to avoid eating out at restaurants, etc. I need to find some new energy in the midst of the monotony of dieting.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Change up your exercise. Add more intensity. Look into HIIT and Tabata. Also try if you can to do some classes that are new. It will help with motivation. I love spin class. But it could be anything really. Exercise boots self esteem which in turn keeps the motivation going. Another great way to get motivated is enter a race of some sort.
Plateaus are common and they are a drag. The good news is you will break out of it.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I don't know if you've been on any particular type of diet besides reducing calories. I do know when I went to a modified Keto diet and reached a plateau an egg fast worked to get me losing again. Basically it's eating nothing but eggs and fats, including a few servings of cheese, for several days. There are numerous online resources about it. That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are already doing a low-carb thing. It will be miserable for you.

I've also found in the past when I focused strictly on calories that a couple of days of more abundant calories followed by the lower calorie diet helped push past a plateau.

Congratulations btw!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Great job! I lost 70 myself

I had one major plateau at about the 45 lb. mark. For several weeks, the scale didn't move, even though nothing changed in the form of exercise and I was watching calories. What got me over that hurdle was when I helped my mom move. It was hard, physical labor, that involved me walking up and down multiple flights of stairs constantly, somethings holding things like boxes, carpet, etc. I was drenched with sweat. By being so busy with the move, I also ate less. I returned home with an 8 lb drop and the weight never came back on. After that, my body got into gear and progressed.

You need to find something to get things going again. I'd personally go for something with more intensity, while maybe also a small decrease in calories.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Change up your exercise. Add more intensity. Look into HIIT and Tabata. Also try if you can to do some classes that are new. It will help with motivation. I love spin class. But it could be anything really. Exercise boots self esteem which in turn keeps the motivation going. Another great way to get motivated is enter a race of some sort.
Plateaus are common and they are a drag. The good news is you will break out of it.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Because of your comment, I decided to try to start doing a 2nd cardio exercise in the morning to get my day going. I usually do the treadmill at the gym in the evening when I go to lift weights. Maybe adding a HIIT in the morning will help push me along. I'll also check out Tabata. I've never heard of that.

The plateau has been a major drag but I can get over it. I hadn't really thought about how exercise boosts self-esteem and overall motivation. To be honest, I haven't done much cardio the whole time I've been losing fat. I've been focusing more on lifting weights. So it's a miracle I even lost the 75 pounds. But I do think I'm at the point that I'll have to focus more on cardio than I have.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I don't know if you've been on any particular type of diet besides reducing calories. I do know when I went to a modified Keto diet and reached a plateau an egg fast worked to get me losing again. Basically it's eating nothing but eggs and fats, including a few servings of cheese, for several days. There are numerous online resources about it. That said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are already doing a low-carb thing. It will be miserable for you.

I've also found in the past when I focused strictly on calories that a couple of days of more abundant calories followed by the lower calorie diet helped push past a plateau.

Congratulations btw!
Yeah, I have only been reducing calories. I've tried all kinds of diets including the low-carb diet but it was just too hard for me. I know that many people love the foods they get to eat on the low-carb diet but it's just not for me. However, at this point, I may need to try something different to get me going. I probably couldn't do the egg fast but maybe just switching to the low carb diet would help.

Thanks for the congratulations! People sometimes don't realize what a huge feat it is to lose that much weight.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Great job! I lost 70 myself

I had one major plateau at about the 45 lb. mark. For several weeks, the scale didn't move, even though nothing changed in the form of exercise and I was watching calories. What got me over that hurdle was when I helped my mom move. It was hard, physical labor, that involved me walking up and down multiple flights of stairs constantly, somethings holding things like boxes, carpet, etc. I was drenched with sweat. By being so busy with the move, I also ate less. I returned home with an 8 lb drop and the weight never came back on. After that, my body got into gear and progressed.

You need to find something to get things going again. I'd personally go for something with more intensity, while maybe also a small decrease in calories.
Thanks and congratulations to you as well! I haven't hit a plateau until now which I think is surprising. I've done a few big pushes throughout that time to pick up the pace a bit when the weight loss slowed down. But now that isn't really working. Mostly, I think I'm kind of burnt out after doing it for 13 months. Which I why I think the advice to lose weight slowly is not always right. I might have been done with my weight loss if I had done it a little faster but I am happy with the results I've gotten so far.

I will take that into consideration. As I said in a previous comment, I have decided to try to do a second cardio session in the morning trying to do HIIT. Most of my weight loss, I have not done much cardio. I really hate doing it and maybe get on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes while I'm at the gym lifting weights. But sometimes I don't even do it then. So I definitely think breaking up and doing one in the morning would help. I just hate doing cardio so much!!! Haha.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxuriatelife View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful response. Because of your comment, I decided to try to start doing a 2nd cardio exercise in the morning to get my day going. I usually do the treadmill at the gym in the evening when I go to lift weights. Maybe adding a HIIT in the morning will help push me along. I'll also check out Tabata. I've never heard of that.

The plateau has been a major drag but I can get over it. I hadn't really thought about how exercise boosts self-esteem and overall motivation. To be honest, I haven't done much cardio the whole time I've been losing fat. I've been focusing more on lifting weights. So it's a miracle I even lost the 75 pounds. But I do think I'm at the point that I'll have to focus more on cardio than I have.
You don't need cardio to lose weight. What you are already doing is working - you are just in a tough spot. But adding in cardio will switch things up and that is what you need to do when yo hit the dreaded plateau. For me, nothing feels better than having a rigorous cardio session. But if you are fairly new to cardio think baby steps. Dont push yourself too hard in the beginning. Once you start building endurance then you can crank up the intensity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss