Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,553,546 times

Advertisements

Saw this today thought it was interesting.

Quote:
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-d...itoring-weight

New research has identified a mechanism in the body that appears to act as a kind of internal bathroom scale, registering body weight and telling the brain to reduce or increase food intake as necessary.
If true... it might make SOOOO much sense. First... for the proposition that as we lose weight our metabolism seems to slow.. and we have trouble losing more. But also, for the idea that our sedentary lifestyles cause problems in more ways than one. In that if you sit all day instead of standing... your body may read your weight as much lower than it is. Thus seeing your hunger level or metabolic burn for a much lower weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Your body does not slow its metabolism as you lose weight. While there are legit physical reactions driven by the amount of fuel your body consumes, it's not a permanent state.

Honestly, there is so much misinformation circulated about how weight loss does/doesn't work that it amazes me anyone every bothers to try and slim down. Eat this, don't eat that. Eat now, but not later. Weight train but no cardio.... wait, no, make that cardio only and no weight training. Drink water, but not too much.

Keep it simple, consume less and move more.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Your body does not slow its metabolism as you lose weight. While there are legit physical reactions driven by the amount of fuel your body consumes, it's not a permanent state.

Honestly, there is so much misinformation circulated about how weight loss does/doesn't work that it amazes me anyone every bothers to try and slim down. Eat this, don't eat that. Eat now, but not later. Weight train but no cardio.... wait, no, make that cardio only and no weight training. Drink water, but not too much.

Keep it simple, consume less and move more.
As long as there is a desire to lose weight there will be a market for all these crackpot theories. Since dieting and losing weight is a hard thing to do, it seems people will seek any pill, smoothies, special foods and/or method that gives them a so-called edge.
Whether it is some doctor who figured out a way to sell books, or supplement companies trying to come with the next great scam we will throw our money and time at it crossing our fingers it is something that actually works.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
No crackpot theory here, IF you care to actually read the full article posted below, it's backed up with tests.

Quote:
Let’s start with the first paper about the Biggest Loser. Essentially, he followed 14 Biggest Loser contestants. At the end of the show, they had all lost significant amounts of weight following a Eat Less, Move More approach. Contestants eat about 1000 – 1200 calories per day and exercise like mad people. What the study showed is that basal metabolism drops like a piano out of the Empire State building. It plummets. They are burning about 800 calories less per day than previously. This had been known for a long time. However, it was always hoped that the body would eventually recover and go back to its original metabolic rate. But unfortunately no, the metabolic rate does not recover even 6 years later.

In other words, if you reduce your ‘Calories In’, your ‘Calories Out’ will automatically drop. This makes sense. If your body normally eats 2000 calories per day and burns 2000, then what happens when you only eat 1200 calories? Let’s use the Socratic method and ask a related question. If you normally earn $100,000 per year and spend $100,000, what happens when your income drops to $50,000? Well, you are not stupid and don’t want to end up in debtor’s jail, so your spending drops to $50,000. Well, our body is not stupid either. If we are eating 1200 calories, we automatically adjust by burning 1200 calories. The body does not want to die, and neither do I. Why would we assume the body still burns 2000 calories? It’s just not that stupid.
Full Article: https://idmprogram.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/

Old 07-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
No crackpot theory here, IF you care to actually read the full article posted below, it's backed up with tests.
Full Article: https://idmprogram.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/
Yes, obviously your metabolism slows. Actually I saw that once on my thyroid. The longer I dieted, the more my thyroid went up. I was not hypothyroid, but my TSH increased each month. Obviously I was producing less thyroid which would effect my metabolism.

But, the post was about the graviostat that scientists --not dr. oz- have discovered. Mmmnkkkay?

Old 07-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
But, the post was about the graviostat that scientists --not dr. oz- have discovered. Mmmnkkkay?
There's no Dr. Oz mentioned anywhere. It's already known that metabolism will slow down when restricting calories. You are putting yourself in starvation mode, that's nothing new. The page I posted is from a blog that is promoting fasting but the studies are based on actual tests, done in a lab by real scientists. The way they put it is "What doesn’t put you into starvation mode? Actual starvation!" I'm also guessing you totally ignored what I posted as a quote and I bolded part of it.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm also guessing you totally ignored what I posted as a quote and I bolded part of it.

Completely just like you ignored the topic I posted about.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:
Yes, obviously your metabolism slows. Actually I saw that once on my thyroid. The longer I dieted, the more my thyroid went up. I was not hypothyroid, but my TSH increased each month. Obviously I was producing less thyroid which would effect my metabolism.

No "graviostat" was "discovered"....

This was a single study in MICE that scientists gave a cutesy name to a process they THINK might be going on but is FAR from proven.

ZERO practical applications to humans...

Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Completely just like you ignored the topic I posted about.
I read your post entirely. I did read at least part of the article you posted and it was a study on mice and about the Leptin Hormone. The hormone itself was discovered in 1994. Their new "discovery" is the "bathroom scale" idea. Your post however mentions metabolism slowing down as we lose weight and that is only true if you restrict calories. If you don't restrict calories but just fast (which is what I am saying) your metabolism will not slow down. This is one of the reasons why fasting is a great way to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss