Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 05:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,284,755 times

Advertisements

I used to eat these when someone brought them to my house and they're good, but I heard they are filled with mayonnaise (to get the super rich texture) and the frosting is mostly cream cheese. Which makes them high calorie bombs more so than regular cake. I stopped because frankly the concept of mayonnaise in anything is yucky to me. Even if it's baked into cake batter. Gross! So glad that diet hurdle is out of the way as I no longer will eat these cakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:01 PM

5,371 posts, read 3,384,539 times
They are probably high calorie. Mayonnaise is a made of oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings, many common ingredients in cakes. I remember many years ago my mother had a chocolate cake recipe that contained mayonnaise, her sister would not eat it but if the cake was made with oil and eggs, she'd eat it!

Old 07-03-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
They are probably high calorie. Mayonnaise is a made of oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings, many common ingredients in cakes. I remember many years ago my mother had a chocolate cake recipe that contained mayonnaise, her sister would not eat it but if the cake was made with oil and eggs, she'd eat it!
They goop up the cakes with extra sugar too, I think. They taste really good of course, but I became suspicious of what was in them.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
Good to know. What I do not get about these cakes is the huge globs of frosting on them. Bundt cakes in general do not have much frosting on them. They usually just have a little dripping of syrup or powdered sugar. These seem so much worse for you with the frosting. If they were more traditional, they could be good alternatives to cupcakes.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM

14,184 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Can't you get an ingredient list is you want to see exactly what's in them? I have had Nothing Bundt Cakes a couple of times and they were very good, but pound cakes are so easy to make at home that I don't usually buy them.

I agree that if someone was told that a cake contained eggs, oil, salt, and lemon juice, they wouldn't give it a second thought. But call it mayonnaise (all those ingredients blended together at high speed) and all of a sudden it's yucky. Doesn't make any sense really.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,316,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I used to eat these when someone brought them to my house and they're good, but I heard they are filled with mayonnaise (to get the super rich texture) and the frosting is mostly cream cheese. Which makes them high calorie bombs more so than regular cake. I stopped because frankly the concept of mayonnaise in anything is yucky to me. Even if it's baked into cake batter. Gross! So glad that diet hurdle is out of the way as I no longer will eat these cakes.
So what's your question? You started a thread but you didnt ask a question.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Good to know. What I do not get about these cakes is the huge globs of frosting on them. Bundt cakes in general do not have much frosting on them. They usually just have a little dripping of syrup or powdered sugar. These seem so much worse for you with the frosting. .
Oh yes! The frosting adds about 500 calories or more, easily. Bundt cakes traditionally have just a small amount of syrup or icing on top. Someone else mentioned they are easy to make at home. They are. It's a one bowl cake, just mix, pour and bake. I can also make a lower fat version with applesauce instead of mayonnaise.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Can't you get an ingredient list is you want to see exactly what's in them? .
I'm not sure, but I doubt they would give that out to customers.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:58 AM

26,634 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Is there a topic? Calories? Ingredients? If it's not about diet and weight loss this thread will be moved or closed.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:10 PM

14,184 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm not sure, but I doubt they would give that out to customers.
Actually, a chain bakery like Nothing Bundt Cakes is required by law to provide ingredients, calorie count, and nutrition information to any customer who requests it. So, to bring the topic back to diet, if you are concerned about how many grams of sugar or how many grams of fat, or how many total calories per serving, etc., all you need to do is ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss