U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:36 PM

12,033 posts, read 11,847,098 times

Advertisements

As Malloric said, CICO is not some sort of diet plan. It's science. I lost weight because I reduced my caloric intake while simultaneously increasing my body's demand for calories through exercise. It never occurred to me to not exercise, so whatever metabolic slowdown that happens while restricting was not an issue. People who lose by diet alone IMO don't achieve the same results as those who modify their diets and exercise. It all sounds easier than it sounds "eat less, move more", but at the end of the day, that's what it took. It took a commitment, physically and mentally, to lose weight and learn how to eat in moderation.

Biggest Losers failed because the show never really addressed the behavioral issues and people lost too much weight in too little time for entertainment purposes. I draw my inspiration from real life "losers" who have lost weight over time and have kept it off. Most people who have lost weight and have kept it off for years often exercise and pursue healthier endeavors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 01:50 PM

16,334 posts, read 18,293,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It doesn't ruin it forever, it will come back in time.

The Biggest Loser FAIL and That Ketogenic Study Success
FYI, that's not a study.

It does cite some though.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:01 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,430,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
FYI, that's not a study.

It does cite some though.
FYI, that's what I meant.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM

16,334 posts, read 18,293,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
FYI, that's what I meant.
What? That you treat unsubstantiated claims that cite a few peer reviewed studies and peer reviewed studies as having equal veracity? I think that's the issue myself and several other posters have. We don't.

edit:

It's actually much worse than that. Not only is not a study, it blatantly misrepresents the studies it cites.

This is how the blog post describes the Women's Health Initiative study
Quote:
The Women’s Health Initiative study of 50,000 women proved this in 2006. Those women reduced their caloric intake by 350 or so calories per day. They expected to lose upwards of 30 pounds per year. Over 7 years, they lost …. 0.25 pounds! That’s like the weight of a good sized bowel movement, for goodness sake. Hmm. 7 years of Eat Less, Move More dieting or have a good BM? Same diff…
Versus the actual study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16391215
Quote:
The intervention included group and individual sessions to promote a decrease in fat intake and increases in vegetable, fruit, and grain consumption and did not include weight loss or caloric restriction goals. The control group received diet-related education materials.
So basically you can't even get good data from it at all. It invents what it wants, misrepresents and lies about the studies it supposedly is citing to back up its inventions. That's really unfortunate. My opinion of Fung used to be fairly decent and now I'm really having to reevaluate that. At best it shows why peer review is important, albeit imperfect. It catches honest mistakes. At worst it just shows he has no credibility and is a liar who will do anything to fake actual science to suit his desired outcomes. You can form your opinions on that, but it's troubling to see such sloppy or intentional mischaracterization.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-24-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 04:53 PM

9,195 posts, read 5,949,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelshih View Post
If you are feeling the weight loss process does not work out as you want Or you do not know what types of carb should be cut to make weight loss easier.

I know many people want to lose weight but they do not know which carbs to cut so their weight loss becomes more difficult
So,If you want a flat belly you should cut back the 4 carbs:
• Whole wheat bread
• Whole-grain pasta
• Bran flakes and other wheat-based “fiber” cereals
• Whole wheat tortillas and wraps

Despite having more fiber than their “white” counterparts, these 4 high-fiber foods are typically overconsumed, and they can destroy your blood sugar and give rapid rise to the fat-storing hormone insulin. In fact, believe it or not, 2 slices of whole wheat bread can raise blood sugar higher than a can of sugar-sweetened soda or even a sugary candy bar.

This is because the wheat of today is nothing like the wheat of generations ago, having been genetically modified by the food industry, mutated, and exposed to industrial toxins and radiation to force an unnatural higher yield at the expense of your health.

These harmful wheat products, although praised by food manufacturers as healthy for their fiber and “whole grain” content, are a major cause of the raging obesity epidemic in western society today. Even more, because they are so rapidly digested, these foods provide virtually no metabolic benefit during digestion, resulting in less than optimal metabolic rates, and ever-expanding bellies worldwide.

⇒The 5 Best Carbs for a Flat Belly:

• Berries and Cherries: Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries
• Mixed Beans : Black beans, dried peas, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and more.
• Quinoa
• Sprouted Grain Bread
• Vegetables : Asparagus,Beets,Bell peppers,Bok choy,Broccoli,Brussels sprouts,Cabbage,Carrots,Cauliflower,Celery,Collard greens,Cucumbers,Eggplant,Fennel,Garlic,Green beans,Kale,Leaks,Mushrooms,Onions,Romaine lettuce,Sea vegetables,Spinach,Squash,Tomatoes,Turnip greens
Ironically, many of those “best” carbs bloat me up like nobody’s biz. High FODMAP foods mess me up, but whole grain wheat products never give me any problems. But get me within 2 miles of some onion or even a small amount of beans, and I’ll swell up like a beach ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss