Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,873,575 times

Advertisements

I read all the way through the thread on IF at

Intermittent Fasting - Fact or Horsesh#$t!!

. .but didn't see anything about doing it vegan. I started IF (Intermittent Fasting) several months ago. I have to eat breakfast: I have to feed myself and my animals. Sometimes I'm up as early as 5:00, and then no food until the following morning. (I started with two meals a day, breakfast and lunch, but switched to one meal recently.)

If anyone could speak to doing this vegan? (I'm not here to argue about or defend the veganism/animal rights thing, please), just looking for input from other vegans.

I kinda came close to passing out this afternoon. I took all sugar out a few days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 06:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,766,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

. .but didn't see anything about doing it vegan. I started IF (Intermittent Fasting) several months ago. I have to eat breakfast: I have to feed myself and my animals. Sometimes I'm up as early as 5:00, and then no food until the following morning. (I started with two meals a day, breakfast and lunch, but switched to one meal recently.)

If anyone could speak to doing this vegan? (I'm not here to argue about or defend the veganism/animal rights thing, please), just looking for input from other vegans.

I kinda came close to passing out this afternoon. I took all sugar out a few days ago.
What do you mean all sugar? Foods that has sugar added or foods like fruit that are high in sugar?

One meal a day is rough and probably not warranted. Being vegan sometimes its hard to get enough protein. What is that one meal? How many calories? How much protein?

Old 08-19-2018, 06:07 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,962,649 times
Quote:

I'm not a vegan, but if you're passing out ... something ain't right.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
What do you mean all sugar? Foods that has sugar added or foods like fruit that are high in sugar?

One meal a day is rough and probably not warranted. Being vegan sometimes its hard to get enough protein. What is that one meal? How many calories? How much protein?
I mean refined sugar, like vegan versions of pastries, cookies, cake, ice cream. I don't eat a lot of fruit. I also disagree with the notion that vegans have a hard time getting enough protein. Let's try to avoid stereotypes.

Are you vegan?

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-19-2018 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-19-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm not a vegan, but if you're passing out ... something ain't right.
I didn't pass out, I just felt like I was going to.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,766,017 times
Quote:
I mean refined sugsr, like vegan versions of pastries, cookies, cake, ice cream. I don't eat a lot of fruit. I also disagree with the notion that vegans have a hard time getting enough protein. Let's try to avoid stereotypes.

Are you vegan?
I was for about 6 months. My daughter has been for the last 4 years. I am not stereotyping anything.
Vegan version of junk food is still junk food. Its good that you have cut them out.

You still haven't said what that one meal is.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I was for about 6 months. My daughter has been for the last 4 years. I am not stereotyping anything.
Vegan version of junk food is still junk food. Its good that you have cut them out.

You still haven't said what that one meal is.
Well, it varies. Green decaf tea, stir-fry tofu and vegetables, salad with walnuts and olives. Usually I make more than I can eat and end up throwing some of it out. Sometimes oatmeal with two servings of fruit, toast, soy margarine, coffee. Also a bowl of rice. Fortified plant milk. Or grits, potatoes, tomatoes, soy sausage. A lot. It's a lot, as a rule.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-19-2018 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,400,688 times
Quote:
Well, it varies. Green decaf tea, stir-fry tofu and vegetables, salad with walnuts and olives. Usually I make more than I can eat and end up throwing some of it out. Sometimes oatmeal with two servings of fruit, toast, soy margarine, coffee. Also a bowl of rice. Fortified plant milk. Or grits, potatoes, tomatoes, soy sausage. A lot. It's a lot, as a rule.
Quantity is not necessarily quality.
Keto is very often paired with IF which is what I do. Vegan/Vegetarian not so much.

IMO, you need to up the fats. You need the calories for energy. Carbs will also give you the calories but fats give you more per gram and provide some vitamins which you may be missing. There are also people that do vegetarian keto. I would check the nutrients in the meals that you are eating. Bread has little to no nutrients to speak of. Soy has protein, calcium, iron and some fat. Potatoes have Vitamin C, B6, iron, magnesium and potassium. White rice has protein and not much else. You get the picture. If that is all you are eating, you will be deficient.

Was it you I recommended Reddit to? I know you will find others that share your interests there. Here not so much or not at all.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Quantity is not necessarily quality.
Keto is very often paired with IF which is what I do. Vegan/Vegetarian not so much.

IMO, you need to up the fats. You need the calories for energy. Carbs will also give you the calories but fats give you more per gram and provide some vitamins which you may be missing. There are also people that do vegetarian keto. I would check the nutrients in the meals that you are eating. Bread has little to no nutrients to speak of. Soy has protein, calcium, iron and some fat. Potatoes have Vitamin C, B6, iron, magnesium and potassium. White rice has protein and not much else. You get the picture. If that is all you are eating, you will be deficient.

Was it you I recommended Reddit to? I know you will find others that share your interests there. Here not so much or not at all.
Yes, it was me you referred to Reddit. Thank you again for that.

For fats, I do Earth Balance soy margarine (on rice, veggies) and olive oil for the stir-fry. Also walnuts or almonds every day. Walnuts are good on nearly everything and have some fat.

I should add that I'm beginning to learn about body building and when that gets going, I will probably have to adjust intake, maybe with a shake after workout. But I'll consult with the trainer.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 08-20-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 AM

21,664 posts, read 24,798,978 times
Quote:
I didn't pass out, I just felt like I was going to.
Get one of those diabetic monitors. They're not that expensive. If you're actually going hypoglycemic you should stop doing what you're doing. It's not normal for a healthy person to get hypoglycemia from fasting, especially not IF. Normally the liver will just release plenty of glucose into your blood to keep that from happening. If you're already glycogen depleted from prolonged caloric deficit there could also just not be enough glycogen in your liver if you've been rapidly losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss