Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:28 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,142,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm doing the Keto diet which is no carbs (under 40 a day) and no sugar. It will be a month on the 22nd and I lost 7lbs. My DH though has lost 20!! Good luck OP!

Yea men lose weight more easily.

I’m down 10.8 pounds in 18 days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 03:23 PM

203 today

Down 11.8 in about 21 days

Old 08-25-2018, 08:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,429,617 times
Started Keto <20g Carb diet on Aug 7th and was 242 in mid-July. Now 225 as of last Tuesday.

Had bloodwork done after first 10 days of the diet and my LDL and total Cholesterol shot up when it was already high but my Triglycerides went from super high pretty much ever since my teenage years down to the middle of the normal range that quickly. It's pretty amazing to see how cutting out sugar has made such a big difference there.

Apparently with Keto it can take 3-6 months for the LDL and total Cholesterol to improve, but my doctor in shock after the results sent over a statin which he asked me to take for 3 months. I'm not going to. I researched and with my systolic BP under control with Lisinopril and not being a smoker along with my age, I'm in a 1% risk group for heart attack in the next 10 years which is the target group.

Problem is I'm having super carb withdrawal and even though I'm having success so far - I lost nothing last week, which is making pizza and Lucky Charms that much more inviting. I'm going to adjust my diet after Tuesday to incorporate more nuts and dark greens and cut down on animal fats which has been a huge part of the first 2 weeks of my diet along with a few avocados and and Kale/Spinach with coconut oil.

Other problem I am having is that most people on Keto brag about how great they feel, and I'm just not feeling that, and I'm watching my electrolytes pretty intently.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,996,874 times
What happens after day 40? Do you go back to your regular way of eating?

Old 08-27-2018, 11:02 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Started Keto <20g Carb diet on Aug 7th and was 242 in mid-July. Now 225 as of last Tuesday.

Had bloodwork done after first 10 days of the diet and my LDL and total Cholesterol shot up when it was already high but my Triglycerides went from super high pretty much ever since my teenage years down to the middle of the normal range that quickly. It's pretty amazing to see how cutting out sugar has made such a big difference there.

Apparently with Keto it can take 3-6 months for the LDL and total Cholesterol to improve, but my doctor in shock after the results sent over a statin which he asked me to take for 3 months. I'm not going to. I researched and with my systolic BP under control with Lisinopril and not being a smoker along with my age, I'm in a 1% risk group for heart attack in the next 10 years which is the target group.

Problem is I'm having super carb withdrawal and even though I'm having success so far - I lost nothing last week, which is making pizza and Lucky Charms that much more inviting. I'm going to adjust my diet after Tuesday to incorporate more nuts and dark greens and cut down on animal fats which has been a huge part of the first 2 weeks of my diet along with a few avocados and and Kale/Spinach with coconut oil.

Other problem I am having is that most people on Keto brag about how great they feel, and I'm just not feeling that, and I'm watching my electrolytes pretty intently.
Up the carbs somewhat to 50 or less. By the way, I don't count carbs in certain vegetables like greens, broccoli, cauliflower etc., anything that has very low glycemic values. I would also try intermittent fasting. It doesn't have to be that strict to start. The 16/8 is totally doable. That will cut your cravings down dramatically. The carb withdrawals do take time to go away, it all depends on how "dependent" you were, to begin with. Make low carb pizza and low carb sweets to substitute. If you don't cook, that could make it more difficult. Whole foods and Sprouts carry products to help with this.

After almost 4 years on keto, even if I were to eat regular pizza or pasta, I find I just don't like them anymore period. I like the pizza toppings which you can still have with cauliflower or fat head pizza. I did love pizza before but pasta, I was never a big fan of anyway.

You have to up the fats to help cut the cravings and keep you satiated. Without that, you will struggle.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post

I feel pretty good.

AM on the 27th I was still 203. I’ve seemed to hit a wall.

I still have 14-15 days until we leave for vacay so hopefully I can get to 198 or so.

I think I can do it. I’ve turned down carbs and sugar several times already. I want to eat Chinese food, sushi and pizza but know I just need to grind it out

Old 08-27-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
What happens after day 40? Do you go back to your regular way of eating?
No I’m going to watch it. Another issue I think that was causing weight was eating a couple bowls of real good apple walnut cereal about an hour before bed.

38 carbs x 2 plus 16 ounces of milk at 24 grams plus strawberries.

That’s like 110 carbs!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 PM

202 today

Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,554,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
No I’m going to watch it. Another issue I think that was causing weight was eating a couple bowls of real good apple walnut cereal about an hour before bed.

38 carbs x 2 plus 16 ounces of milk at 24 grams plus strawberries.

That’s like 110 carbs!!!!!!
forget about the carbs or even the time of day, man....you were eating a "couple bowls" of a cereal that isn't low in calories (walnuts anyone?)..of course you'd gain...especially if that was on top of all of the calories consumed over the course of a day

you were overeating, plain and simple. what you need to watch is the amount you're eating.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
forget about the carbs or even the time of day, man....you were eating a "couple bowls" of a cereal that isn't low in calories (walnuts anyone?)..of course you'd gain...especially if that was on top of all of the calories consumed over the course of a day

you were overeating, plain and simple. what you need to watch is the amount you're eating.
Not really.

That was my third “meal” of the day.

I work midnights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss