Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 02:17 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
What you need to do is wrap your head around the fact that losing weight is HARD work. Sacrifices need to be made in order to be successful.
So true, think about this way, if weight loss was so easy, than everybody would be skinny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 03:42 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 65, 5'4" and a size 6-10 (depending on style), and I am an endomorph (hourglass figure with VERY heavy legs and chubby upper arms). I am in very good health, and I walk an average of two miles a day, and my part-time job involves a lot of walking and heavy lifting (30-40 pound cases of wine). However, I would like to lose 25 pounds. In the past, I have always been able to lose weight at the rate of one-two pounds a week by calorie counting and keeping my daily caloric intake to between an average of 1200-1400 calories. Not anymore!
You should look into Dr. Jason Fung, the obesity code, and intermittent fasting. You can just find him on You tube. His lectures destroy the calories in calories out bull and those who are like "eat perfect" and exercise more. Check it out.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
You should look into Dr. Jason Fung, the obesity code, and intermittent fasting. You can just find him on You tube. His lectures destroy the calories in calories out bull and those who are like "eat perfect" and exercise more. Check it out.
Well, at least you found something that works for you. How much loss so far? I know you were having trouble.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I can't exist on all healthy foods either. That's why I don't. I follow the 80/20 plan, I eat healthy most of the time, and one day a week I don't. I don't eat tofu. I eat lean meats, good fats, complex carbs (like beans, white and sweet potatoes, and a variety of whole grains) and on my "cheat day" (yes, it's a misnomer, but the term has stuck with me) I eat whatever I want. I also treat myself to two daily sweet treats a day that are below 200 calories. Using that approach, I lost weight. Overall you need to follow a diet plan that becomes innate and from your posts, I can see that you are resistant to drastic tinkering.

I do like going to the gym. In fact, I like it far better than dealing with diet-related stuff. However, as you know, you don't have to use a gym to get physically fit. Maybe increase the duration of your walk or your mph. it would be a good idea to get strength training in there somehow too.

Lastly, something to keep in mind. You're 65. The amount needed to achieve the caloric deficit needed for weight loss may have changed since your last trip to the rodeo when you were younger. In other words, 1400 may not be enough of a deficit to cause a weight loss of 1-2 lbs. per week at your age. our bodies need less calories as we age. your best bet is to download a fitness app and find out how much you should be eating at your age to achieve loss and then craft your exercise/diet plan around that.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Id like to also add that exercise is probably more important now that you're a senior because 1200 may be the amount needed to achieve a loss of 1-2 lbs per week. If that's the case, that's pretty darn difficult because our appetites don't miraculously decrease as we age and 1200 would be a stretch for me. 1400 is pushing starvation for me. Not saying that exercise allows you to overeat, because it doesn't, but at least you won't need to reduce as much since you'll be burning more. That's why I suggest upping the mph or the duration of your walks so that you expend more energy, forcing your body to demand more.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I read some of the reviews, which all mentioned obesity and/or diabetes. Is this also useful for those of us who are not obese and/or diabetic, but just want to lose some weight?

P.S. Thanks for all the new suggestions and support! I will continue to read this thread, although I will probably not be responding to any more posts on this thread for a while.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-27-2018 at 12:54 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 12:27 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Id like to also add that exercise is probably more important now that you're a senior because 1200 may be the amount needed to achieve a loss of 1-2 lbs per week. If that's the case, that's pretty darn difficult because our appetites don't miraculously decrease as we age and 1200 would be a stretch for me. 1400 is pushing starvation for me. Not saying that exercise allows you to overeat, because it doesn't, but at least you won't need to reduce as much since you'll be burning more. That's why I suggest upping the mph or the duration of your walks so that you expend more energy, forcing your body to demand more.
Light exercise (relatively), yeah. Everyone reacts differently but prolonged cardio turns me into a bear coming out of hibernation. My routine now is 30-45 minutes of cardio three times a week, 20-30 minutes of strength training three times a week. I'm awful about actually sticking to that, especially the cardio. I actually do it on average 1-2 days a week and the strength training probably twice a week. I really need to stop slacking there.

On the other hand there's this oh, I'll just get on the treadmill/exercise bike two hours a day and shed the pounds. Maybe that works for some people. It works the opposite for me and just makes it worse. I do better eating 1,500 calories a day (which is a bit over 2 pounds a week for me) and getting no exercise. I feel a lot better mentally and physically, however, if I get at least some exercise though disregarding hunger sensations. Overall just feeling good is huge. I'm a stress eater so exercise is a much better outlet for that then yelling at myself not to eat ice cream as stress outlet.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I read some of the reviews, which all mentioned obesity and/or diabetes. Is this also useful for those of us who are not obese and/or diabetic, but just want to lose some weight?
[b]
I think so. Basically his idea is that by eating so many times during the day, so much high carb food, and calling for insulin every 2 hours we are swimming in insulin. Insulin is a storage hormone which tells your body to store the energy you eat.

So you eat 1500 cals, not all that energy gets properly used.. in the cell, but instead stored. In effect slowing your weight loss down. Your actually starving at the same time you are gaining weight. He goes through information on why calories in: calories out doesn't work. Or doesn't work as well.

By fasting you work with your body to be the most efficient. You reduce your insulin, allow your body to use the full energy you eat instead of storing it... and once your cells have consumed all the food you ate, it turns to burning your fat.

I hang out on some intermittent fasting pages and there are a lot of people who lose that hard lose weight via fasting.

This is his webpage. Check it out first https://idmprogram.com/the-failure-o...ry-of-obesity/

Old 09-02-2018, 09:36 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,000 times
I do intermittent fasting. I started with getting stricter about a 12 hour fast (overnight) and only eating during the remaining 12 hours. Then slowly upped it to a 14 hour fast and now a 16 hour fast.

What I like the most is that during my 8 hour eating window I'm not hungry because I eat every 1-3 hours. And if I grab an easy snack at some point (usually nuts -- I love nuts), then no big deal! Weekends are usually much funner foods, and I often overeat, but still keep it within my 8 hour window.

Oh, and I'm not obese or diabetic. Just middle aged and needing to firm things up.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,208,401 times
Try a BMR calculator for starters (to see how many calories you actually burn at your age/size). I suspect it will be less than you think if you are a small female. Keep in mind you may be underestimating your normal intake too.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss