Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 AM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times

Advertisements

I am 65, 5'4" and a size 6-10 (depending on style), and I am an endomorph (hourglass figure with VERY heavy legs and chubby upper arms). I am in very good health, and I walk an average of two miles a day, and my part-time job involves a lot of walking and heavy lifting (30-40 pound cases of wine). However, I would like to lose 25 pounds. In the past, I have always been able to lose weight at the rate of one-two pounds a week by calorie counting and keeping my daily caloric intake to between an average of 1200-1400 calories. Not anymore!

The diet that worked for me before (typically, a one egg breakfast with coffee, cottage cheese and 1/2 English muffin with light butter and jam; store-bought yogurt and some granola topping for lunch; and a "normal" dinner -- meat, potatoes, vegie or a salad, a glass or wine and either a roll or a light dessert) is no longer working for me.

In reading other posts, it seems the majority of posters recommend some kind of VERY healthy diet and a LOT of exercise for someone who wants to lose weight, but that is just not realistic for me. I hate anything like soy, whey, tofu, etc., and I hate going to the gym or any kind of exercise besides walking or hiking or leisurely riding my bike when the weather is cool. As I indicated, I do like vegies and salad and limited fruit, but a diet without dairy, meat, bread or "sweets" is simply not do-able for me!

So without having you super-healthy people lecture me (and I do admire you, btw!) and going by the above, do any of you have any suggestions that I might be willing to actually follow, lol?

Last edited by katharsis; 08-24-2018 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Added my age -- thanks, Mikala!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 5'4" and a size 6-10 (depending on style), and I am an endomorph (hourglass figure with VERY heavy legs and chubby upper arms). I am in very good health, and I walk an average of two miles a day, and my part-time job involves a lot of walking and heavy lifting (30-40 pound cases of wine). However, I would like to lose 25 pounds. In the past, I have always been able to lose weight at the rate of one-two pounds a week by calorie counting and keeping my daily caloric intake to between an average of 1200-1400 calories. Not anymore!

The diet that worked for me before (typically, a one egg breakfast with coffee, cottage cheese and 1/2 English muffin with light butter and jam), store-bought yogurt and some granola topping for lunch, and a "normal" dinner -- meat, potatoes, vegie or a salad, a glass or wine and either a roll or a light dessert) is no longer working for me.

In reading other posts, it seems the majority of posters recommend some kind of VERY healthy diet and a LOT of exercise for someone who wants to lose weight, but that is just not realistic for me. I hate anything like soy, whey, tofu, etc., and I hate going to the gym or any kind of exercise besides walking or hiking or leisurely riding my bike when the weather is cool. As I indicated, I do like vegies and salad and limited fruit, but a diet without dairy, meat, bread or "sweets" is simply not do-able for me!

So without having you super-healthy people lecture me (and I do admire you, btw!) and going by the above, do any of you have any suggestions that I might be willing to actually follow, lol?
Low carb or mild keto could work for you. Maybe 100g a carbs or less per day which is not very restrictive at all. That is all you need. All of the foods you listed are allowed except bread and sweets BUT there are substitutes. You can do low carb breads and desserts. You would have to make them yourself. Regular supermarkets are devoid of many of these type items.

BTW, soy is just not good anyway unless you get organic and even then it has it's drawbacks. I know vegans love it, it may not be an animal product, does not mean it's good for you.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:16 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,537,615 times
Quote:
I am 5'4" and a size 6-10 (depending on style), and I am an endomorph (hourglass figure with VERY heavy legs and chubby upper arms). I am in very good health, and I walk an average of two miles a day, and my part-time job involves a lot of walking and heavy lifting (30-40 pound cases of wine). However, I would like to lose 25 pounds. In the past, I have always been able to lose weight at the rate of one-two pounds a week by calorie counting and keeping my daily caloric intake to between an average of 1200-1400 calories. Not anymore!

The diet that worked for me before (typically, a one egg breakfast with coffee, cottage cheese and 1/2 English muffin with light butter and jam), store-bought yogurt and some granola topping for lunch, and a "normal" dinner -- meat, potatoes, vegie or a salad, a glass or wine and either a roll or a light dessert) is no longer working for me.

I am seeing a lot of new talk about fasting. You can do it in different forms like skipping one meal a day. I have a friend who had a bad thyroid and he started skipping breakfast because he did some research and avoided meds. I have also heard people who skip breakfast lose weight compared to those that don't. It used to be, they told you to graze all day and keep your blood sugar steady but more and more, I am reading the benefits of some form of fasting.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:19 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:

What you need to do is wrap your head around the fact that losing weight is HARD work. Sacrifices need to be made in order to be successful.

That said you can try and find something that fits your lifestyle. I would suggest Weight Watchers and not just online. Find a local chapter near you and go to the meetings. The weekly weigh in is great motivation.
If you do not like to give up food groups such a bread and sweets a low carb diet will be a hard fit.

Walking and hiking are great forms of exercise. I would put the emphasis on hiking since it will get your heart rate up. If you walk, walk at a fast pace and pump your arms.

I dont think I read how old you are, but as we age the weight is much harder to get off. Not impossible though, so dont get discouraged. Losing weight takes time, hang in there.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Low carb or mild keto could work for you. Maybe 100g a carbs or less per day which is not very restrictive at all. That is all you need. All of the foods you listed are allowed except bread and sweets BUT there are substitutes. You can do low carb breads and desserts. You would have to make them yourself. Regular supermarkets are devoid of many of these type items.

BTW, soy is just not good anyway unless you get organic and even then it has it's drawbacks. I know vegans love it, it may not be an animal product, does not mean it's good for you.
The OP said she does not want to give up certain foods. This type of diet will fail if the person does not want to give up breeds and sweets.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:33 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
So I find this thread kinda weird, because you just posted somewhere else, that you do not know what to do with yourself during the day because you are retired.

This is the perfect opportunity to find an exercise you like. You don't have to leave the house, YouTube has tons of them: yoga, tai chi, hip hop dancing.... you name it, they got it.

Reduced calorie food doesn't have to be tofu blocks and soy milk.

Chicken breast stirfry with veggies, lettuce wraps with ground meat (called larb when thai), quinoa/black bean Mexican casserole.... the internet is full of ideas, it's easy to find something to your tastes.

I used to just have a scrambled egg and Jimmy dean turkey sausage for breakfast.

When I want sweets? Sugar free chocolate pudding and cool whip, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, Breyers no sugar added with sugar free chocolate syrup, a Kirkland protein bar, or I make a "shake" with protein powder and stuff.

This is so much easier for retired people, except for the part about being home, and easy to snack.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2018, 09:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The OP said she does not want to give up certain foods. This type of diet will fail if the person does not want to give up breeds and sweets.
If you would of read the rest of my post, I did address that. You do sugar free or low carb or whatever. Many do it and there are TONS of recipes.

You can't ask for something without giving something in return. Oh, I want to lose weight but I want to eat what I want, like Pizza, French Fries, Fried Chicken, yeah right. There are low carb alternatives to those as well, well maybe not the fries.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:41 AM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Boy, that was quick!

I particularly liked Mikala's suggestions and also Luckyd's suggestion about finding a Weight Watchers group, btw, but I appreciate ALL the answers I've received, so thanks!

And, yes, I am trying to get a "handle" on adapting to retirement (and trying to improve myself in many ways), and this is just one step!

P.S. Yes, I am willing to make some sacrifices because the diet that worked before involved about 500-700 fewer calories in my food intake per day. However, I am realistic about what sacrifices I can continue to make and which ones I "can't". I put 'can't' in quotes because, of course, I realize that I actually could exist on all healthy foods and go to the gym if forced, but I know I don't have enough motivation to do so if it is left entirely up to me to monitor myself.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-24-2018 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 10:08 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Everyone has to find their own "method" of weight loss. My achilles heel is being home (retired) and snacking when I'm not doing something... so I had to find "snack friendly" foods. For me pickles, turkey pepperoni, or a ramekin sized bowl of whatever left over I have in the fridge like lentil / veggie curry with tofu (I LIKE tofu ), some form of dal, even a few chips with homemade salsa and avocado.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you would of read the rest of my post, I did address that. You do sugar free or low carb or whatever. Many do it and there are TONS of recipes.

You can't ask for something without giving something in return. Oh, I want to lose weight but I want to eat what I want, like Pizza, French Fries, Fried Chicken, yeah right. There are low carb alternatives to those as well, well maybe not the fries.
I understand that. But lots of people lose weight by reducing calories. There are a few of us here that succeeded and kept the weight off. I DO however think low carb is a great alternative for people who are willing to make the sacrifices - and yes, they are sacrifices wether you want to believe it or not. All dieting is sacrificing. This OP doesnt seem like the type to look for low carb alternatives as she stated. She doesn't need the added stress of figuring out low carb alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss