Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
He is one who used to do Vegan but came around to the benefits of adding meat into his diet.
I did not realize this until now. This tells me a lot. Is it trial and error? Ethical reasons aside, I thought vegans were pretty convinced they were doing the right thing for health. Apparently not, especially when I've heard some people talking about this guy in high regard in the vegan forum here on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 01:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Vegans have to supplement b12. They also need to find the ones that you take sublingually. If they do not get enough b12 all kinds of health issues present themselves.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I did not realize this until now. This tells me a lot. Is it trial and error? Ethical reasons aside, I thought vegans were pretty convinced they were doing the right thing for health. Apparently not, especially when I've heard some people talking about this guy in high regard in the vegan forum here on CD.

Here is a link where is summarizes what he discusses in his book about meat:

https://drhyman.com/blog/2018/02/22/...food-heck-eat/

Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Here is a link where is summarizes what he discusses in his book about meat:

https://drhyman.com/blog/2018/02/22/...food-heck-eat/
Makes sense and he finally came to his senses I see. IMO, most of the pegan diet also makes sense.

This guy WAS a vegan but is now making statements like this which are backed up by science, not based on some decades old myth.

Quote:
In fact, the main source of saturated fat in meat, stearic acid, has no impact on blood cholesterol. Even more surprising is that eating saturated fat doesn’t raise blood levels of the saturated fats that cause heart disease. It’s processed carbs, refined starch, and sugar that actually raise your blood levels of bad cholesterol and the bad saturated fats.
and this

Quote:
While anti-meat advocates and scientists have tried to scare Americans by linking meat to everything from cancer to heart disease, diabetes, and even obesity, research actually shows meat is a nutrient-dense food that can help prevent disease and nutritional deficiencies when you eat it with plenty of plants and vegetables and not as part of the typical Western diet and lifestyle.
I do also like this but kinda hard to stick with if you like meat a lot, I do try however to include plenty of veggies in my meals.

Quote:
Most of your plate should still be plants. At least three-quarters of your plate should be vegetables and the rest protein. I like the term “condi-meat”—a small amount of meat added to meals that are mostly vegetables. I’ve downsized my own consumption to no more than 4 – 6 ounces per meal, which is a piece that’s roughly the size of my palm.
He also says this about grains
Quote:
Eat gluten-free whole grains sparingly.
They still raise blood sugar and can trigger autoimmunity. All grains can increase your blood sugar. Stick with small portions (½ cup per meal) of low-glycemic grains like black rice, quinoa, teff, buckwheat, or amaranth. For type 2 diabetics and those with autoimmune disease or digestive disorders, a grain- and bean-free diet may be key to treating and even reversing your illness.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Hyman's book isn't about weight loss. I find that people who go to the ketogenic diet, with the exception of diabetics, are looking for weight loss. Hyman's thoughts are not about that.
I don't use keto for weight loss. I did lose 50 lbs on it but I am a diabetic so I use it to control blood sugar AND maintain health, lipids, cholesterol, etc. I quit statins and don't need them anymore, same with my BP meds. Hyman's diet sounds right. I do agree on the vegetable part, you can never have too many. Most people don't like veggies. They eat them because they have to, but are not in love with them. You will lose weight on this diet, almost guaranteed.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:58 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,109,733 times
That's sort of the problem with generic diets.

Since I'm not a diabetic, don't have celiac disease, am not lactose in tolerant, and don't have whatever digestive issues beans cause those are all non-issues. So I eat dairy, gluten, potatoes, bread, pasta, lentils, beans. Non-issue. Doesn't mean they might not be for someone with dietary or metabolic diseases. I just don't have any. But big pictures it's more or less how I eat, minus the stuff that is specific to people with diseases. So mostly whole foods, mostly plants, not low-carb or low-fat.

A lot of people on statins/BP meds don't need them. They just need to not be obese and get some exercise and the BP and cholesterol takes care of itself. Others do. My cholesterol/trigycerides are fine but my blood pressure has always been high. I've always had high blood pressure (elevated aka pre-hypertension). When I let myself get fat and stopped exercising that shot up to stage 1. When I lost the weight and exercised again it went down to elevated. That's all in my early 20s though, so it's quite possible no amount of diet or exercise will keep it down in elevated or stage 1. Usually it does go up with age, and as far back as I can remember I've just never had normal blood pressure. That's just my genetics (along with a solid history of heart attacks and vascular disease). Basically crap genetics. Other people have the same issue with cholesterol. Doesn't matter what they eat, how thin they are, and how much exercise they get. They just lost the genetic lottery. No use crying over spilt milk though.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-16-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 03:24 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's sort of the problem with generic diets.

Since I'm not a diabetic, don't have celiac disease, am not lactose in tolerant, and don't have whatever digestive issues beans cause those are all non-issues. So I eat dairy, gluten, potatoes, bread, pasta, lentils, beans. Non-issue. Doesn't mean they might not be for someone with dietary or metabolic diseases. I just don't have any. But big pictures it's more or less how I eat, minus the stuff that is specific to people with diseases. So mostly whole foods, mostly plants, not low-carb or low-fat.

A lot of people on statins/BP meds don't need them. They just need to not be obese and get some exercise and the BP and cholesterol takes care of itself. Others do. My cholesterol/trigycerides are fine but my blood pressure has always been high. I've always had high blood pressure (elevated aka pre-hypertension). When I let myself get fat and stopped exercising that shot up to stage 1. When I lost the weight and exercised again it went down to elevated. That's all in my early 20s though, so it's quite possible no amount of diet or exercise will keep it down in elevated or stage 1. Usually it does go up with age, and as far back as I can remember I've just never had normal blood pressure. That's just my genetics (along with a solid history of heart attacks and vascular disease). Basically crap genetics. Other people have the same issue with cholesterol. Doesn't matter what they eat, how thin they are, and how much exercise they get. They just lost the genetic lottery. No use crying over spilt milk though.
Yup my BP, without meds, would be as high as the sky regardless of anything I do. I was Stage 2 (almost to the point of hypertensive crisis) when I was diagnosed. I had zero symptoms. I'm over 40, have pretty strong genetic history. Being obese hastened the onset but dropping the weight didn't remove me out of a hypertensive state. It's almost as if once you're in the Stage 2 zone, that's it. My husband has totally normal pressure even though he's carrying some extra lbs.

My attitude is the same as yours, it sucks that I have to deal with the medication, but it is what it is and I deal with the hand that I've been dealt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss