Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,167,200 times

Advertisements

Hyman had a special on our TV's PBS station, promoting the P-gan diet as he calls it. Sounded very healthy. The cost for the book and CDs was a pricey $250. so I just bought the book on eBay for $18. which hasn't arrived yet. It will be a challenge to switch to this diet because my sig. other has other ideas on what to eat, ie. Ben & Jerry's every other night and ham daily for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 12:03 PM

23,438 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Too bad. Somebody's cashing in big time. You can download information about both vegan and paleo diets off the web for free!

Old 09-07-2018, 12:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,977,277 times
Sounds like essentially low carb with raw instead of cooked vegetables. Problem with these diets is that if you could have the will power to stick to them you could do just as well eating whatever you want with smaller portions. I have actually come to believe diets don't work in the long run. Any quick weight loss gets followed by a quick weight gain when you fall off the diet wagon. When I retired from work I droped 15 lbs the first year just by not having my morning giant danish with my coffee. I never regained it.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:27 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,504,271 times
I saw part of it and didn't get that deep into it. On the surface it sounds like a contradiction. Paleo is meat, vegan is not. A lot of it did make sense. It does go along the same lines of keto and low carb by keeping blood sugar low. I do remember him saying to eat beans only occasionally as a side dish. Dairy would be off limits. He also did mention to keep away from seed oils like vegetable and canola.

Here is the full rundown on it and it's actually spelled pegan.
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...the-pegan-diet

This is what it says about eating meat and like I said, you're either a meat eater or your not. This doesn't sound like Paleo. Paleo is supposed to be foods that we're eaten during the Paleolithic era.

Quote:
Think of meat and animal products as condiments or, as I like to call them, "condi-meat"—not a main course.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,819,423 times
No, I don't follow anyone's diet, but know that cutting out loads of sugar/carbs works in my life.

I like Mark Hyman's info, but I like my foods cooked for the most part.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,506,019 times
Sounds like it's as much fun as eating lawnmower clippings! I'll pass! It takes a lot longer to get bored eating meat than raw veggies!

Old 09-08-2018, 05:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,690,470 times
If you want to learn more about why Dr. Hyman suggests the Pegan diet, read his book "What the Heck Should I Eat?" I downloaded it free from my library. They don't carry his diet book though, but I don't think you'd need it if you just read his rationale for his Pegan way of eating.

Honestly, his book made a LOT of sense. Nothing crazy at all in it and how he eats seems very well-rounded. It's explained in terms that anyone can understand. He goes through all the different types of foods out there and why you should eat them or conversely why you should not.

I think I'd read that before I jumped right in to that way of eating. He is one who used to do Vegan but came around to the benefits of adding meat into his diet.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 09-08-2018 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 732 times
Hi there yes I would like to know why Dr Hyman suggested the pegan diet. where can I get the book the cheapest I'm on bugget right now, but I want to lose the weight and keep it off. I've read this article about diet mod cut and I've been thinking about getting it but I'm open to try other methods also.

Last edited by in_newengland; 09-12-2018 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: too new to post links

Old 09-12-2018, 11:39 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,167,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Sounds like essentially low carb with raw instead of cooked vegetables. Problem with these diets is that if you could have the will power to stick to them you could do just as well eating whatever you want with smaller portions. I have actually come to believe diets don't work in the long run. Any quick weight loss gets followed by a quick weight gain when you fall off the diet wagon. When I retired from work I droped 15 lbs the first year just by not having my morning giant danish with my coffee. I never regained it.
The goal with the pegan diet is not weight loss but eating for better health physically and mentally. I don't plan to give up a once-in-a-while good Danish, however! ;-)

Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
The goal with the pegan diet is not weight loss but eating for better health physically and mentally. I don't plan to give up a once-in-a-while good Danish, however! ;-)
I could see it working well for that. How sustainable it is, depends on the person. The raw vegetable thing is weird. What's wrong with cooking vegetables? Salads I can understand but vegetables?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss