Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times

Advertisements

I searched on "does pink Himalayan salt raise blood pressure" and got a lot of contradictory responses: some sources said it did, others said it did not.

This sort of salt is used in Intermittent Fasting, both in the cider vinegar drink and in water to help with a prolonged fast. Both of my parents had high blood pressure and mine was slightly elevated, so I removed all salt of all kinds, including sea salt, from the house years ago but recently got some pink salt.

I'm currently doing IF OMAD (One Meal a Day), 22:2. That means that I'm in Autophagy for 10 hours a day. This is credited with preventing heart disease, speeding fat loss, slowing or reversing aging, reducing inflammation, and lowering insulin levels.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-25-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
This may help. It's not specifically about Himalayan salt but about sea salt. I think they are similar in that they are not processed table salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXdpYjp812o

Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This may help. It's not specifically about Himalayan salt but about sea salt. I think they are similar in that they are not processed table salt.

Thanks! I guess it is safer.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
I use both pink salt and table salt. I do limit the table salt to my hard boiled eggs, but I read somewhere that most people are iodine deficient and table salt has iodine in it so I didn't want to eliminate it entirely.

Pink salt has other minerals in it which are also good for you!

(Fyi, I did not watch the video.)

Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
If it contains sodium it can affect blood pressure in anyone who is salt sensitive. Not everyone is.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:42 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Take your blood pressure before and after, that's the only way to tell.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Any decent chef will never use table salt when cooking as it has no great flavour.
But salt is salt wherever it comes from and too much of any of it is not good for blood pressure.
More importantly it's hidden salt in almost everything that is the real danger.You simply don't know how much you're consuming.
But when I'm cooking it's sea salt all the way.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 PM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
The salt effect on BP is the same regardless of source. If you are salt-sensitive there's no voodoo magic in pink Himalayan salt that would protect you.

As for processed salt (i.e. mined salt - basically salt from ancient seas and purified so its just (i) salt or (ii) salt + some iodine) - its generally now thought preferable to sea salt. This is because sea salts have recently been shown to contain microplastics from our polluted seas.

I predicted this discovery (it wasn't hard) in a thread a couple of years back where some people had the ludicrous idea on here that purified mined salt was somehow worse for you than sea salt because the purified salt "had been processed" - i.e. to remove stuff (ie non-salt stuff). I see the same crap being regurgitated today.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Salt is salt. Expensive salt, cheap salt, it's salt. If we're talking about culinary salt it's NaCl plus some trace minerals. The difference is the trace minerals and grind. Pink salt has some rust in it and a coarser grind. Regular table salt is highly refined to remove most of the trace impurities and has a very consistent fine grind. Either way though, it's NaCl and it doesn't matter if you're paying 50x as much for rusty salt. There's a bit less salt there so the same weight means a tad bit less NaCl as there's more impurities. If you're going by volume (eg a teaspoon) there's less weight in a teaspoon of rusty salt because of the courser grind and then less NaCl because it is less pure. So a teaspoon of rusty salt has less salt. Less salt, less affect on blood pressure if salt affects your blood pressure. Other than that though it's just salt. You could just a bit less than a teaspoon of cheap table salt such that you're getting the same amount of salt as a teaspoon of rusty salt and it would be the same thing.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Chiropractor with no science references tells us about salt.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5328355/

Mouse study. Both sea salt and regular salt raised blood pressure. Systolic was statistically significant, even accounting for that sea salt was 86% salt and regular salt was basically 100% salt. Diastolic was not significantly different. Hypothesis is the mineral content in the sea salt conveys some hypertensive protection in mice. Of course that would depend on your diet otherwise as getting your trace minerals is a pretty poor source. Eg, you wouldn't want to eat it just of the trace minerals. But that's in mice not humans. If you otherwise get sufficient trace minerals it might not be any benefit at all. There's other studies that suggest the benefit is similar in humans, but they're mixed. Eg, Smart Salt in humans. Lower systolic, no significant difference in diastolic. Could be from less salt consumption in the Smart Salt group but also from the very high mineral content.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3175151/

Junk non-science is junk non-science. Stick to the real stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss