Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:26 AM

999 posts, read 618,749 times

Advertisements

I believe that when you get away from the unhealthy foods, like fast foods and deep fried foods, your taste buds will change and you learn to like the healthier options and won't crave the unhealthy so much. Pre-packaged foods are always full of sodium including the low fat packaged foods (along with sugar).

We hate to eat out as well and prefer to cook because we know exactly what is in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 11:31 AM

11,133 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Wild Alaskan salmon on the grill is the bomb. We roasted a bunch of red bell peppers on the BBQ last night and made THE BEST soup with chicken stock I made from street-side roasted chickens. Very healthy. Also made homemade cream of mushroom soup that was fabulous. We don't eat anything processed at all, and everything tastes good.

I am sorry you are having a bad experience! If you are buying packaged labeled "health foods" though, I can see why. Much better to make your own stuff from scratch. Very tasty, and no added ingredients/filler.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 AM

102,308 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wild Alaskan salmon on the grill is the bomb. We roasted a bunch of red bell peppers on the BBQ last night and made THE BEST soup with chicken stock I made from street-side roasted chickens. Very healthy. Also made homemade cream of mushroom soup that was fabulous. We don't eat anything processed at all, and everything tastes good.

I am sorry you are having a bad experience! If you are buying packaged labeled "health foods" though, I can see why. Much better to make your own stuff from scratch. Very tasty, and no added ingredients/filler.
My grandmother used to make chicken stock with the leftover chicken bones from a whole-chicken dinner. It was delicious! You can give your crockpot-cooked chicken, or store-bought rotisserie chicken a second life, by using the leftovers as soup stock.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,461,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I can never stick to just boring foods. Any advice on eating healthy if you're not a good cook?
Look at some of your favorite restaurant's menus, make a list, and look up recipes for the right cook times and amounts of ingredients.

If you're a self-professed carnivore, you'll never be happy living off salads. Don't lie to yourself, but also make sure you're not eating twice the sugar or twice the salt you're supposed to consume in a day. Bad things happen.

Some of it you can offset with exercise, but there are also people drinking a 2 liter of soda every day or 3 venti Starbucks lattes (I'm not kidding). These people DO have diet issues that need to be changed before they can expect to see results.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:17 PM

12,128 posts, read 8,526,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I believe that when you get away from the unhealthy foods, like fast foods and deep fried foods, your taste buds will change and you learn to like the healthier options and won't crave the unhealthy so much. Pre-packaged foods are always full of sodium including the low fat packaged foods (along with sugar).
Bingo!

Your taste buds need retraining. Before you know it old foods will taste too sweet or too salty and the natural flavor of what you are eating will shine through and will be satisfying.

Sugar and salt are nearly like drugs in the sense that once your body is accustomed to them you build up a sort of tolerance and can't enjoy food without them. But this can be reversed. You just have to practice for a while until you get there.

I also allow myself to have a break from my healthier eating habits so I don't feel deprived. But over time I've discovered what I used to think of as "treats" now aren't as enjoyable to me anymore because my taste buds have adjusted. It's just automatic to me to choose healthier foods because they taste better to me.

Also buy whole foods. Just stay away from anything marked low sugar, salt or fat. You don't need the assortment of chemicals required to make these things palatable. And you don't need the extra expense in your shopping list.

All that's needed is some self-education about how to do this and with the internet it's easy.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:23 PM

10,672 posts, read 7,891,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's just automatic to me to choose healthier foods because they taste better to me.
Truth. Eventually unhealthy, processed food will be accurately assessed by the senses, not just the intellect, for what it really is-junk.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:08 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,653,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I can never stick to just boring foods. Any advice on eating healthy if you're not a good cook?
Well, here's where we differ. I love fruits and vegetable. I actually crave them. I hate really greasy foods.
I crave salads, roasted vegetables, sweet potatoes, winter squash, lightly sauteed green vegetables like kale. I also enjoy legumes of all kinds, salmon, nuts, grains and other healthy foods.

My weaknesses are cheese and dairy. I don't cut them out. I just eat cheese very moderately. As a condiment if you will.

I love cooking and I enjoy food and cooking and I frequently contribute to the food forum. Occasionally I eat deserts. Just not every day. And a small amount.

I am slim and healthy.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:34 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
I tried some foods over the past few years that I never thought I'd eat--avocados, hummus, olives, and I'm not a spring chicken. Now I eat all of those things regularly. You CAN learn to like different things.

Another helpful thing is start planning your meal around a vegetable dish instead of deciding on a hunk of meat and then plotting everything else from there. Decide first on a couple of vegetables and make the meat and/or cheese the side dish.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:18 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,257,196 times
Low calorie does not equate to health foods. Keto is extremely healthy, check the research. There is nothing low calorie or boring about it.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,427,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
well I happen to enjoy fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, & a plain roast chicken. And they can make a nice low calorie meal.

If you like spicy or herby foods, experiment with some small side dishes. It can be fun as well as tasty,

I love roast chicken but i cant cook it at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss