Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:50 AM

765 posts, read 474,867 times

Advertisements

" I can never stick to just boring foods" .................................................. ..... and that is why MRS. DASH was invented!!!! and a whole camel caravan of spices are at our finger tips nowadays. Not to mention sauces , yes, you CAN make them lite and healthy and savory to boot, just takes some time, research, .......... my fave is a wondrous merlot sauce perfect for beef dishes, or a really savory bourbon sauce and even just an ounce of imagination will help. Like putting Parsely, Rosemary, Thyme and Basil plants in your kitchen window..... oh what the what the!!!!! all i know is put just a small amount of effort into experimenting, get out of your boring rut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I love roast chicken but i cant cook it at all
What? Put it in a pan and stick it in the oven.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:00 AM

749 posts, read 483,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Find non-boring foods?

Learn to make a smoothie you love! I use chocolate protein powder (sweetened with stevia) and non-fat yogurt with ice and water. Then I slowly limited the amount of fruit I add, making it both healthy and lower in calories.

I found a way to reduce the calories in my favorite lunch sandwich using a low carb pita bread.

I will never give up my daily apple w/ peanut butter, so I now make my own peanut butter from peanut flour. It is not the same, but since I eat real peanut butter out of the jar like ice cream this was a good alternative. I learned to love it!

ETA: start small - find one thing in your diet you can easily eliminate or replace with a healthier option.

What if I'm craving mcdonalds cheeseburger fries and coke? What can substitute it & satisfy my taste buds?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:09 AM

749 posts, read 483,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's really hard to help because you give no examples of what you like, or what you consider boring.

What I like that isn't healthy

Pizza, burgers, burritos, ice cream, soda, potato chips, cookies, and deli club sandwiches.

What I like that's healthy.

Leaner sandwiches, Hemp protein fruit smoothie, some salad dishes, I like brown rice meals but I tend to eat way too much of the brown rice. I cannot stop eating it.

That's the problem in general. I just cannot stop eating. Even if I am good for 2 meals, then I just get hungrier. And the process repeats.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,832,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
What if I'm craving mcdonalds cheeseburger fries and coke? What can substitute it & satisfy my taste buds?
You need to make a decision. What is more important to you? Eating fast food that is not at all good for you, or getting your dietary habits in order so you can lose weight and be healthy.
No one says dieting is easy, in fact it is extremely hard and requires sacrifice. Once you are ready to make those sacrifices you will do what you can to make your meals healthy and you will forgo your fast food.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:01 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,555,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Go have it. Just dont eat it everyday. It seems like alot of the healthy foods movement is more about punishment than encouraging the individual to expand their choices. You want pizza? Make it yourself. Add mushrooms, veggies, etc on top. Want McDonalds- go easy on the condiments thats on a burger. Drink a small coke, not a big one. Small fries not a large one. Eat plenty of fruit etc.. throw in veggies whenever you can. Ditto with deli sandwiches- nothing better than a rachael or reuben.
Moderation is the key. Not elimination of every unhealthy food on the market.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:28 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,019,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sorry, but something like that sounds absolutely repulsive to somebody just starting out looking to eat more healthfully.

Good suggestion to start small and eliminate or replace one thing, though.
A chocolate smoothie filled with fruit is repulsive? Eek. I'm definitely doing something wrong! Oh well, I apologize for the bad advice.

As for a McDonald's cheeseburger -- sure! Get one once in a while. I eat out at least once a week, and not always the healthiest of meals. I just make sue that the rest of the week I make better choices.

You can have anything you want. You just can't have everything you want.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:36 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Go have it. Just dont eat it everyday. It seems like alot of the healthy foods movement is more about punishment than encouraging the individual to expand their choices. You want pizza? Make it yourself. Add mushrooms, veggies, etc on top. Want McDonalds- go easy on the condiments thats on a burger. Drink a small coke, not a big one. Small fries not a large one. Eat plenty of fruit etc.. throw in veggies whenever you can. Ditto with deli sandwiches- nothing better than a rachael or reuben.
Moderation is the key. Not elimination of every unhealthy food on the market.
Or order a cheeseburger and get a side salad instead of fries. I do that a lot eating out--if I want a burger or something that normally comes with fries, most restaurants will let you substitute a salad or the veggie of the day. Think of it like budgeting calories/salt/fat. You splurge on one thing and save on others. And like everyone has said, your tastes will change, and that pizza you're craving turns out to be too greasy and salty so you don't crave it so much.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:39 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,010,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I love roast chicken but i cant cook it at all
My husband was NO cook at all, but he loved to make roast chicken, and it was delicious.

Take a raw chicken, clean out the insides under running cold water. Dry the skin with a paper towel. Put the chicken on a rack on top of a baking pan. Rub the exterior of the bird all over with some kind of fat, like olive oil, melted butter, whatever you like. Then rub on a mixture of your favorite dried herbs and spices. My husband liked to use a mix of kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed fennel seeds, and cayenne pepper.

Then put it in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees and let it roast for an hour or so.

So simple, and so good!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Why not relegate your unhealthy eating to once a week? (This is provided that you are active and eat healthy rest of the days)

That's basically what i do. Eating healthy doesn't mean bland but if you want hypersalted, hypersweetened food while maintaining or losing weight, then forget it. My body can only stomach burgers, pizza, fries, etc. on an occasional basis now. Each of those things is filled with salt and crappy fats and that causes me to have massive bloating and digestive problems. Eating good does neither of those things. It literally does my body good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss