Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:33 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Yep, I was that way most of my life, and my sister was the opposite.

I DO believe genetics plays a large role in body weight.

I'm still thin, but I have to work at it now (51).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:44 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
I'm thin, and I have to work at it.

It's not all genetics.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep, I was that way most of my life, and my sister was the opposite.

I DO believe genetics plays a large role in body weight.

I'm still thin, but I have to work at it now (51).
I do believe in the genetic component. My granddaughters are ages 2 and 4. I swear the 2-year old eats more than the 4-year old; sometimes we just hand over the 4-year old's leftovers to her. (Except Big Sister's leftover pizza from when I take her out. THAT is the property of Big Sister, who will enjoy it later.) Little sister is active, mobile and solidly-built but not chubby. DS and DDIL keep 99% healthy food in the house so she's eating good stuff. (Fortunately, Grandma is allowed to indulge them in empty calories once in awhile.) They're just different. It will be interesting to see how things evolve as they grow up.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 AM

My sister ate the same food as me, AND was more active. She was always chubby, and I was always thin.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:55 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
I weighed 98 lbs when I married in 1974 at age 25. I still weigh that. Not getting in sizes and modern Vanity Sizing.

Yes, it is absolutely partly genetic. Dad's family was also thin, but Mom's wasn't. It is also you own tastes in food. I never liked fast food even today, nor really even pasta growing up in an Italian heritage household. Mom, can I have a salad instead? Mom also liked to bake. I would eat one cookie or piece of cake and never ate more. I was constantly badgered to MANGA!. "Look how skinny she is?" Certainly, it was not my parents lifestyle pushing me to eat the way I did as a child.

Second, it is also physical exercise. Not talking about working out a gym either. I am a hyper person who cannot sit for hours and hours at a time. Drives me crazy. I have to get up and move. Quit my office job decades ago because I could not sit for 8 hours a day. Changed fields working with disabled people pushing wheelchairs, lifting and changing diapers, etc. Retired now but I still have to find something to do around the house. Secret. When you are constantly moving around, you don't get hungry, snack, or want to.

Off now. Need to clean the bathrooms and start cooking dinner.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
I haven't read all of the posts here, but here are my unscientific thoughts just based on my thoughts and observations over the years.

Generally speaking, I think that most everyone with an "average" metabolism, and with genes governing such things in the normal range, will be at least slightly over weight unless they are really trying to stay slender and in a healthy weight range.

Anyone with lower than average metabolism, and with genes supporting this, will be anywhere from quite a bit overweight to grossly obese without constant and never ending vigilance...and a lot of willpower.

Anyone with a high to much higher average metabolism, and with genes supporting this, will be from average to very slender.

Our society and culture, supplemented by our generally sedentary life style, along with all manner of junk foods around us, creates a very difficult life for those trying to stay in a healthy weight range if they have any sort of propensity to being of average weight, and a supremely difficult life for those with a propensity to being larger.

Those with a very high metabolism, seen in this day and age as being "lucky", seem to be able to maintain a normal to slender weight range without much difficulty.

Ironically, those with high metabolisms wouldn't fare well at all if famine struck. They wouldn't be seen as lucky at all, but in our current situation, life is good!

It's a constant battle to stay at a healthy weight for most of the population. Many make it work, unfortunately, the majority don't.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:09 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
I used to not like being naturally slim...I hated it. Now that I’m older, many of the people that were bigger are fat and I’ve simply added a few pounds to look like they did in high school or college (athletic with a bit of muscle). I eat whatever I want and as much as I want. No understanding of how weight becomes a problem.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:05 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
genetics only works but so much. I was a beanpole when I was a child. In my 20s I filled out but still weighed 138-145. I’m 5’10. Babies and overeating quickly overtook genetics and I found myself fat.

I’m now 150 give or take, but I don’t want to be skinny/thin. I’m muscular yet lean and that takes a lot of work. Nothing comes easy. I watch what I eat and I work out a lot. I pick up heavy things...or at least I didtil I got sidelined. But My diet has variety. So yes I’ll eat Oreos once a week if I desire

Old 10-26-2018, 02:25 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Some of these folks really are genetic lottery winners. I remember eating out with some friends at work and the littlest and cutest person in the group ordered a huge plate of pancakes with blueberry syrup and whipped cream. She ate it all without a second thought. I brimmed over with envy as I ate my plate of eggs, no potatoes or toast. I have known several folks like that. It may catch up to them later, but they sure get to enjoy life in the present!
I'd bet a weeks salary that she didn't eat much the remainder of the day.

Genetics are not the primary driver behind a persons physical conditioning. The assertion that two people of a similar weight, height, age and gender consume the same amount of food and indulge in similar levels of physical motion but where one can maintain weight while the other gains is a myth.

I've spent the last twenty months studying the eating habits of everyone in my life, both at work and home and can tell you beyond any reasonable doubt, thin people have smarter, healthier eating habits, not faster metabolisms.

It's the craziest illusion that most of us fail to see, but an illusion nonetheless.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I'd bet a weeks salary that she didn't eat much the remainder of the day.

Genetics are not the primary driver behind a persons physical conditioning. The assertion that two people of a similar weight, height, age and gender consume the same amount of food and indulge in similar levels of physical motion but where one can maintain weight while the other gains is a myth.

I've spent the last twenty months studying the eating habits of everyone in my life, both at work and home and can tell you beyond any reasonable doubt, thin people have smarter, healthier eating habits, not faster metabolisms.

It's the craziest illusion that most of us fail to see, but an illusion nonetheless.

Nope.

I was 99 lbs, I ate around 7 meals a day. Started the day with those HUGE cinnamon rolls, usually had grabbed toast or something before that. Deli sandwhich for lunch. Got home made another huge sandwich.. avocados, veggies, meat, may, kaiser roll. Ate dinner. Ate ice cream. Candy, chips and such in between.

I was TRYING to break the 100 lb mark.

I was that way through my 20s. Bacon/rice/eggs for breakfast, brie for snacks, lunch, dinner, dessert...

My whole maternal side was rail thin.

Plus, I was never physically active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss