Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:01 AM

749 posts, read 481,144 times

Advertisements

They just go about their everyday life and have no idea how many calories they are eating. This is huge information. What is going on here? This could be the underlying secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 12:14 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
They just go about their everyday life and have no idea how many calories they are eating. This is huge information. What is going on here? This could be the underlying secret.
People are different genetically and that's not a secret. I was underweight until about age 20 when I went on a weight gaining diet. I have one sister who is very underweight and can't gain and another sister who is average. My parents were average or even a little bit underweight. It's nothing new.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:52 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Y'know, most people who are overweight aren't trying to be overweight either.

While there may be genetic factors that impact metabolism, by and large most people's weight is determined based on their eating habits. I have one son who struggles to keep his weight down and another one who has been thin his whole life despite consuming massive amounts of food. Once I finally figured out my own condition and forged a meaningful relationship between consumption and weight, it was as if a curtain had been lifted. My oldest loves calorie-intensive foods and while eating smaller portions than most, is biased towards a calorie surplus. My youngest eats one massive meal each day and otherwise supplements his diet with reasonable food choices (loves fresh fruit). He also is in a constant state of motion, even when playing video games (paces his room like a caged animal). Their physical state is not driven by genetics but rather by behaviors.

People will cling to any excuse to explain and/or justify their conditioning if it means not accepting responsibility.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Genetics for sure. Take your ancestry DNA and upload to Promethease; see if you have the gene. My daughter does.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
I was a size 0 until I hit mid 30s, then gained weight and fat, even though it wasn't as though I was suddenly pigging out all of the time or eating tons of junk food.

In my 20s, I could diet and exercise just one week and lose weight. Now I can just smell food, and I gain 5 pounds.

My dad's side of the family all were overweight and had diabetes. There must be a genetic component to this weight gain. My metabolism has slowed, but my love of food and appetite has not.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:12 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I was a size 0 until I hit mid 30s, then gained weight and fat, even though it wasn't as though I was suddenly pigging out all of the time or eating tons of junk food.

In my 20s, I could diet and exercise just one week and lose weight. Now I can just smell food, and I gain 5 pounds.

My dad's side of the family all were overweight and had diabetes. There must be a genetic component to this weight gain. My metabolism has slowed, but my love of food and appetite has not.
unfortunately it's called getting older.

in my 20s my body was awesome and I could lose weight at the drop of a hat. little effort on my part other than a 2-3 day gym run.

At 30-40 though things changed. Childbirth, metabolism, etc etc. I gained 70 lbs but thankfully I lost it 2 years ago.

I have to do a lot to maintain the body that I have because as I age it only gets harder...

Old 10-25-2018, 11:13 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Many thin people do care about what they eat. My thin friend only eats half a sandwich when we go out and overall eats less. She would burst if she ate as much as our other, larger, friend.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:16 AM

23,261 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
What's this "MOST" claim? Sounds like another assumption with nothing to back it up. Doesn't apply to someone who suffers from an eating disorder does it? The underlying secret? It's not a mystery. It is this:

People are individuals. You can't consider them all as identical.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-26-2018 at 01:29 AM..

Old 10-26-2018, 06:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
Some of these folks really are genetic lottery winners. I remember eating out with some friends at work and the littlest and cutest person in the group ordered a huge plate of pancakes with blueberry syrup and whipped cream. She ate it all without a second thought. I brimmed over with envy as I ate my plate of eggs, no potatoes or toast. I have known several folks like that. It may catch up to them later, but they sure get to enjoy life in the present!

Old 10-26-2018, 07:10 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
It's partly genetic but not all. I'm skinny (5'6", 121 lbs.) I work at it. I do over an hour of cardio every day and my everyday diet is mostly plant-based. I almost never eat potatoes, refined sugar, white rice, pasta, fried stuff, chips, beef or pork. If you see me in a restaurant I may be relaxing my rules- just had a wonderful vegetarian burrito at a Mexican restaurant yesterday. If there's a special occasion at church and someone brings in a bakery cake, I get a corner piece with as much frosting as possible. You may see me indulging and think I'm just lucky. No, it's work and discipline.

Having said that- I do think it's partly genetic but it's also how you were raised. I think a lot of people have really dysfunctional relationships with food. Small children will stop eating when they're full. I see it with my granddaughters. It doesn't matter whether it's breakfast cereal or ice cream. We NEVER expect a "clean plate"; typically they get small servings and know they can have more, so there's little waste. Somewhere long the line, most of us lose that ability. If it's good and there's some left, we keep eating. There's our problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss