Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,927,513 times

Advertisements

Only after consulting with the hosts, and usually because I'm vegan and want to share my favorites. But at a formal dinner, no. I think she should have talked to you first, but it's probably best just to ignore it. You're not going to teach an older person to be courteous at this stage. She was self-centered and rude, but she's probably that way with everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
After "the lot of money on food" that you spent, do you think if she said she'd already eaten "before she came" you wouldn't be insulted with that as well?

I'm sure your food was appreciated by the others at your "large party".
If a guest doesn't want to eat your food consider it a bonus....more for us, I always say.

I wouldn't be offended, especially with my mother. She'll have earned the right to eat anything at anytime she wants...with my blessing.

Sorry, but no, I don't find it rude...peculiar maybe...but not rude.
Its rude. Maybe its fine with you, but most people would find this behavior rude. If it was discussed prior to the event that is one thing. To show up with your own food is just bad form. And if a guest had said they had already eaten before they arrived at your dinner party that would be equally rude.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its rude. Maybe its fine with you, but most people would find this behavior rude. If it was discussed prior to the event that is one thing. To show up with your own food is just bad form. And if a guest had said they had already eaten before they arrived at your dinner party that would be equally rude.
Exactly. Good grief, one day isn't going to derail your diet if it's supposed to be FOR LIFE. It's called reality. You can't live in your tiny diet-bubble world. It's one thing if you have medical issues but other than that, yeah, it's rude to bring your own food to a party unless it's a potluck.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM

9,940 posts, read 7,835,172 times
I'd be interested as to what type of foods were served at the party.

What some people consider typical, others won't/can't eat. Half our family won't eat what the other half eats every day.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'd be interested as to what type of foods were served at the party.

What some people consider typical, others won't/can't eat. Half our family won't eat what the other half eats every day.
And there is nothing wrong with that. But the host needs to know prior to the event. Guests should not just show up with their own food without the hosts prior knowledge.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
Quote:
Sure glad I'm not "most people".

Old 11-14-2018, 01:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
Quote:
And there is nothing wrong with that. But the host needs to know prior to the event. Guests should not just show up with their own food without the hosts prior knowledge.
It was her own mother,
and the OP didn't make it sound like it was a common occurence.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Sure glad I'm not "most people".
If you would bring food to someone's dinner party and did not tell them beforehand then you are rude.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It was her own mother,
and the OP didn't make it sound like it was a common occurence.
Yes but the the subject became bringing unwanted food to people's homes.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:45 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
To go to someone's house, whether it's your mother or not, and state tactlessly that you "don't want to eat that [person's] food" presumably because you're dieting is tasteless.

there's been many affairs that I've been invited to while I was dieting, filled with all sorts of diet-unfriendly things. It would never occur to me to bring other food in order to keep to my diet. Again barring medical reasons, there should be some sort of flexibility. There's no law stating that you can't simply scrape fattening sauces off, fill your plate up with mostly vegetables, take one piece of meat, etc. Doing that, you keep the calories lower and within your diet and not risk offending the host. OR you can simply designate that day as an off day and eat what you like. but bring your own food? really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss