Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times

Advertisements

i get a lot of my recipes from cooking light and allrecipes.com.

anything that requires extensive prep time I simply don't cook. just zero in on recipes that involve little prep time. they exist. chicken thighs are fairly easy to cook in an oven/broiler. crock pot recipes are a life savor for those short on time. you really need to have at least one meal come from your own kitchen regardless of skill because chances are your own food will not be so ridiculously high in sodium, fat, sugar, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM

3,992 posts, read 5,192,448 times
Chicken. It's cheap, easy to cook and can be made into anything. Veggies like broccoli or carrots are easy to make. Get one of those little steamer baskets and steam them. Easy peasy. Some, like snow peas, can be eaten raw after washing. Brown rice is fool proof. Two cups water to one cup rice, simmer for 45 minutes, done.

For things to cook in, get a 10" non stick or stainless steel skillet and a four quart sauce pan at minimum. A enameled dutch oven is useful too. You can throw a chicken in one and roast it whole. That can be turned into a week's worth of lunches if you divide it up. A slow cooker is another option.

Now, go on YouTube and watch videos from Jacques Pépin, Julia Child, Martha Stewart and Gordon Ramsey. They will get you on the path to cooking for yourself. If you don't step up your cooking game, you'll get bored of your diet and revert back to the old ways.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,927,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Chicken. It's cheap, easy to cook and can be made into anything. Veggies like broccoli or carrots are easy to make. Get one of those little steamer baskets and steam them. Easy peasy. Some, like snow peas, can be eaten raw after washing. Brown rice is fool proof. Two cups water to one cup rice, simmer for 45 minutes, done.

For things to cook in, get a 10" non stick or stainless steel skillet and a four quart sauce pan at minimum. A enameled dutch oven is useful too. You can throw a chicken in one and roast it whole. That can be turned into a week's worth of lunches if you divide it up. A slow cooker is another option.

Now, go on YouTube and watch videos from Jacques Pépin, Julia Child, Martha Stewart and Gordon Ramsey. They will get you on the path to cooking for yourself. If you don't step up your cooking game, you'll get bored of your diet and revert back to the old ways.
Welp, I'm not going to do chicken (no dead beasts for me), and I used to watch cooking shows all the time--until it started freaking me out when they used meat. The last straw was when Pepin butchered a rabbit; it looked too much like a cat! But the previous poster is right; you can learn a lot from those shows. Martha Stewart and Snoop Dog is hilarious. Just wanted to offer a different perspective.

I'd buy a rice cooker, which does the work for you. I soak the rice a few hours first, rinsing several times. And do get a slow cooker for beans. Soak the beans overnight, rinse, and add garlic, onions, potatoes, spices (cumin for pintos). You don't have to soak lentils but do rinse them well. I use this as a base:

https://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Vegetab...i_sh_in_o0_img

One of the nice things about Pepin's show (and there's another by an Italian cook), is their use of wines. Pretty yummy. See:

Lidia Bastianich
http://www.pbs.org/food/chefs/lidia-bastianich/

Old 11-18-2018, 12:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,927,891 times
Mashed potatoes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ocre0kXgvg

Christmas cookies:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pubH1prBf84

Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM

12 posts, read 6,485 times
Hello,everyone.I also face same types of problem.I lose my 7 kg weight within 2 month.I just avoid sugar,eat oil free cooking and eat only 1 plate oats in dinner .I think,if you follow it,your weight gradually decrease.If you drink 1 glass lemon water,your belly fat reduce quickly.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,169,999 times
Baked chicken breasts are my diet lifesaver. This recipe sounds like a pain but I do enough at once to last two or three weeks, and they're the most flavorful moist chicken breasts I've ever been able to cook.

I buy 2 of the family sized trays -- that's about 10 boneless skinless breasts. Get out the ole broiler pan to bake them all. If you chicken out (ha ha) and only buy 5 or 6 breasts a 9 x 13 pan is large enough. Pour in some olive oil -- start with maybe 1/8 cup. Trim the breasts and put them in the pan. Turn them over and then rub the oil to make sure there's a thin layer all over and in the crevices of each breast. I buy single use food service gloves from Dollar Tree to do that. I hate raw chicken on my hands.

Then season them on both sides, cover the pan with foil and put in the refrigerator for a couple hours but no more than 3. This tenderizes and makes them come out very juicy for me.

Brown your breasts in a small amount of oil or butter, cooking the larger ones about 4.5 minutes per side and the smaller ones 3.5 minutes per side. Place back in that broiler pan. No need to wash it, and you can put the cooked breasts in with uncooked because they will be baked to cook away the chicken germs anyway. Put the foil back on tightly and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Remove the foil and bake for 25 - 35 more minutes until the center temp of the largest breast reaches 165. A meat thermometer is a great investment, especially if you cook a lot of chicken. You don't need an expensive one. I think I paid $12 at amazon and it's still working a few years after purchase. B/S breasts tend to dry out if you leave them in even 5 minutes too long, so not having to do guesswork helps a lot with that.

I put a few in the refrigerator for the next few days and freeze the rest in freezer bags. I usually do 2 per bag. Even if I don't eat them 2 days in a row they are still good for several days once thawed. Heat them gently in the microwave so they don't get tough. I use the defrost button for 2 minutes, turn it over and do it again.

With that chicken I also eat steamed vegetables. I hate cooking them dirtying a pan and a knife to trim and a cutting board. So I buy Kroger store brand steamables. Only a dollar per bag and they're done in the microwave in 7 minutes, or 10 if you like your veggies a little more cooked. I drizzle on about a tsp of coconut oil and season them lightly and eat the whole bag for around 200 calories.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:48 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,201,762 times
If you don't mind spending a little bit of money on a cookbook, I have found Elie Krieger cookbooks to be really great. She dumbs down the recipes so they are really easy for non-cooks. And she doesn't go crazy with a lot of extraneous ingredients. I especially like this one because it's for make ahead and/or freezer meals, so you can cook once and eat for a few days. https://www.amazon.com/You-Have-Made.../dp/0544579305

This one is good as well https://www.amazon.com/Weeknight-Won...0FCR7VQQXGQRCJ

I suspect if you google her name that a bunch of free recipes will come up online as well.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:50 PM

22,694 posts, read 24,716,205 times
Simplest foods are best, one or two ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss