Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,920,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad70 View Post
If it makes you feel any better I have not lost weight this month either. I am on 20:4. Overall I have lost eight pounds on my 20:4 in eighty days, and an additional 9 pounds on 16:8 the prior year. On my 20:4 I am eating as much as I want. I am happy with my weight now I am 5 ft 8 and 155 pounds. I am continuing on time restricted feeding because, beyond weight loss, I believe the 20 hours of daily fasting is good for my health.
I should have bought a scale in August. Then I'd have a real baseline. That's also when I cut wine with meals, bread and all sugar. I've probably lost 6-10 lbs. in the last three months but I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 08:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,920,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
At your level, everyone can play and it's more mental than physical.
I'm sure you know you can beat 'em out for the position.

I weigh myself daily, but Saturday morning is the one that counts.
Because of Thanksgiving, Sunday morning will be the one that counts.
Well, it's not one audition but many. I'll keep auditioning until I get a job. That's usually the way it works. Be nice if I got the first one though.

Hard to weigh once a week but that's what people recommend.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:17 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,282,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Well, it's not one audition but many. I'll keep auditioning until I get a job. That's usually the way it works. Be nice if I got the first one though.
Confidence and a good attitude is everything. When you know you can do it, you will do it.

When I was younger I bowled against professional bowlers a few times.
If you don't believe you can win, you're beaten before you even start.
I always thought I could beat them. Sometimes I did and so will you!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:14 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,529,448 times
I think you're stressing yourself out too much trying to attain a certain weight. Make sure that the weight you'd like to attain is actually doable at your age. Sometimes there's about so much that you can do. I'm thinking that you're trying to diet your way down to 165. That'd be the equivalent of me trying to diet my way to 135. Well there got to be a point when the scale wouldn't going to go down any further (in fact, I even put on a pound lol). That was 147. At that point I asked myself, why did I need to lose any more? At 135 I looked like Gumby for goodness sake. That's not what I wanted. At that time I learned that you know what, I was happy right where I was at. I'll never be wispy/waify/whatever.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just giving you another perspective here. At 43, I am not trying to recapture the 20 year old body. I am in great shape, but even I admit that getting older and dealing with all that comes with it can be a beep. I can't lose so easily and even hitting some great goals, I am just not the same as the younger version. I just work with what I've got. That's why I love fitness/working out, because it helped my confidence a gazillion percent.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:31 AM

17,567 posts, read 39,228,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I think you're stressing yourself out too much trying to attain a certain weight. Make sure that the weight you'd like to attain is actually doable at your age. Sometimes there's about so much that you can do. I'm thinking that you're trying to diet your way down to 165. That'd be the equivalent of me trying to diet my way to 135. Well there got to be a point when the scale wouldn't going to go down any further (in fact, I even put on a pound lol). That was 147. At that point I asked myself, why did I need to lose any more? At 135 I looked like Gumby for goodness sake. That's not what I wanted. At that time I learned that you know what, I was happy right where I was at. I'll never be wispy/waify/whatever.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just giving you another perspective here. At 43, I am not trying to recapture the 20 year old body. I am in great shape, but even I admit that getting older and dealing with all that comes with it can be a beep. I can't lose so easily and even hitting some great goals, I am just not the same as the younger version. I just work with what I've got. That's why I love fitness/working out, because it helped my confidence a gazillion percent.
I totally agree with this ^^^. And of course as has been stated, I am close to the OPs age. My younger weight used to be around 130 - I am a bit over 5'8". I looked slender with a few curves. I currently weigh 150, and pretty much maintain. I did lose down to 140 (from 198, my all time high) and stayed there a bit but weight crept back up to 150. Like Riaelise, I am happy where I am. People tell me I look great - I look healthy and fit. I don't look like a twig and I don't want to. I don't starve myself, and I do some sort of light workout every day. I am not able to do any type of heavy lifting or grueling strength training, but I don't really need to. When people see me they think I work out lots more than I do. Daily bike rides and some bodyweight exercises are all I need.

Stressing about reaching a certain # on a scale is self-defeating, my own doctor told me that. It is about what you LOOK like, how you feel, how your clothes fit.... One last thing, I know you (OP) did not say how many calories you consume per day, but if it is too low for your needs, after a time your metabolism will slow so that your body conserves energy. Eating more can actually keep your metabolism revved up. I have had a few friends for whom this was the case. When they started eating more, they actually lost weight.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It is about what you LOOK like, how you feel, how your clothes fit....
In my case, it's about A1C and insulin usage. The goal is to at least permanently lower the amount of insulin I use.
I know taking it will make you fat because I've experienced it. Elimination of it may be a pipe dream, but we'll see how it goes.

Weighed myself today and I've lost 3 of the 3.6 lbs I gained on Thanksgiving.
I'm fasting again today and will have my "weekly weigh-in" tomorrow.
Actually losing weight while still enjoying Thanksgiving... now that would be something!

Even if I weighed 180, I'd still wear XL or 2X shirts. I'm built kind of like Babe Ruth, with broad shoulders and spindly legs.
What would change is my pant waist size. I'm already down to the last notch on my belt, so hopefully I'll have to get a new one soon.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,417,513 times
I don't know what type of scales they are but if they haven't been calibrated they may not work well or be accurate.

If not and they are older scales, I'd buy a new one. Drugstores often have scales near the pharmacy section and I'd weigh on one of those to see what they say.

The scales in my doctor's office have often put me at 5 to 10 pounds more than my scales at home. Doctor's offices often forget to calibrate their scales. Which is scary because that's what they base medication dosages on - the person's weight.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't know what type of scales they are but if they haven't been calibrated they may not work well or be accurate.
Definitely invest in a high quality scale. My old one was a piece of junk.
I read a lot of reviews before buying.

Easiest way to know if it's accurate is by putting actual weights on it. Duh... I know.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:09 PM

21,922 posts, read 25,263,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
In my case, it's about A1C and insulin usage. The goal is to at least permanently lower the amount of insulin I use.
I know taking it will make you fat because I've experienced it. Elimination of it may be a pipe dream, but we'll see how it goes.

Weighed myself today and I've lost 3 of the 3.6 lbs I gained on Thanksgiving.
I'm fasting again today and will have my "weekly weigh-in" tomorrow.
Actually losing weight while still enjoying Thanksgiving... now that would be something!

Even if I weighed 180, I'd still wear XL or 2X shirts. I'm built kind of like Babe Ruth, with broad shoulders and spindly legs.
What would change is my pant waist size. I'm already down to the last notch on my belt, so hopefully I'll have to get a new one soon.
Punch some new holes in it! It's oddly satisfying every time you put it on.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Punch some new holes in it! It's oddly satisfying every time you put it on.
I'd do it, but I don't think my wife will go along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss