Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:37 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times

Advertisements

If the OP is not overweight, is it really healthy to encourage them to lose more? I would think it could get hard to become purposefully underweight at 6'3".

Quote:
because I couldn't stand to eat any more.
Do you mean physically or emotionally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 01:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
If the OP is not overweight, is it really healthy to encourage them to lose more? I would think it could get hard to become purposefully underweight at 6'3".

I mean physically, I just couldn't force another bite.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
How does someone become emotionally unable to eat?
Never heard of such a thing unless there was some catastrophic life event.

I don't think Kara's being encouraged. She's just trying to figure out what's going on.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
Look, you burn thru fat stores last. It is carbs that are utilized. So, if you have a higher BMI then it'll take time. H2O comes off fast. looks as lbs, ahem dropped, & shows lbs dropping but the MIRROR not scale -- shows what you really look like. I know girls that weigh far more than the charts say -- yet are super bodies & beyond gorgeous. A scrawny girl is not attractive nor are waifs & anorexics. Just my IMHO & FWIW.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:14 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,461,394 times
That is awesome about your audition! What a great goal! It sounds like your body is trying to establish its set point where it functions optimally. You might try increasing your protein intake with plant or soy proteins. You are not overweight. So like an athlete training for a specific event, you could treat your auditions as "the event" tbat you are trying to establish a certain competitive look for. If you are at your ideal weight, then dropping weight for your auditions temporarily would mean an increase in exercise (weight training to stimulate muscle and cardio to burn fat) to break that plateau. I know you are doing IF and your body could be adjusting your metabolism to increase it's efficiency on the eating plan. You could try something different for awhile and go back to IF or do more protein.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
That is awesome about your audition! What a great goal! It sounds like your body is trying to establish its set point where it functions optimally. You might try increasing your protein intake with plant or soy proteins. You are not overweight. So like an athlete training for a specific event, you could treat your auditions as "the event" tbat you are trying to establish a certain competitive look for. If you are at your ideal weight, then dropping weight for your auditions temporarily would mean an increase in exercise (weight training to stimulate muscle and cardio to burn fat) to break that plateau. I know you are doing IF and your body could be adjusting your metabolism to increase it's efficiency on the eating plan. You could try something different for awhile and go back to IF or do more protein.
You're so very correct that playing music has a large element of athleticism, and making music is in so many ways analogous to sports. Conductors, particularly, can live a long time due to the aerobic nature of what they do for a living.

I think I'm fine but my new scale is looney. It fluctuates as much as four or five lbs. in a day, while my weight stays the same. I'm going to get some new batteries for it this weekend and if it doesn't straighten up, throw it away.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You're so very correct that playing music has a large element of athleticism, and making music is in so many ways analogous to sports. Conductors, particularly, can live a long time due to the aerobic nature of what they do for a living.

I think I'm fine but my new scale is looney. It fluctuates as much as four or five lbs. in a day, while my weight stays the same. I'm going to get some new batteries for it this weekend and if it doesn't straighten up, throw it away.
The scale thing has got to be frustrating.

Music and sports are competitions.
Sports are different in that looks don't count unless you're in a "judged" sport (yuck!!). Looking good while getting beat gets you a nice participation trophy.
I guess that's why I don't get the whole appearance thing in your chosen endeavor. I've always been a "best players play" kind of guy.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-29-2018 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The scale thing has got to be frustrating.

Music and sports are competitions.
Sports are different in that looks don't count unless you're in a "judged" sport (yuck!!). Looking good while getting beat gets you a nice participation trophy.
I guess that's why I don't get the whole appearance thing in your chosen endeavor. I've always been a "best players play" kind of guy.
It *is* frustrating. I was feeling defeated after no appreciable weight lost in nearly a month with the scale fluctuating wildly.

Music is a part of the entertainment industry, and with so many great players coming out of the conservatories every year, looks have become a major consideration starting fairly recently. It was much less of a consideration in the past; there have been numerous articles about this in the trade magazines.

Of course, the past holds many exceptions. Beethoven was ugly as sin but bumped boots with dozens of wealthy court ladies. Liszt was hideous looking but 19th century women threw their panties at him. The appeal of great musicians is pretty powerful.

But baroque venues and audiences are very elegant; playing perfectly is assumed but looking the part is helpful. Probably not the deciding factor, but helpful.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It *is* frustrating. I was feeling defeated after no appreciable weight lost in nearly a month with the scale fluctuating wildly.

Music is a part of the entertainment industry, and with so many great players coming out of the conservatories every year, looks have become a major consideration starting fairly recently. It was much less of a consideration in the past; there have been numerous articles about this in the trade magazines.

Of course, the past holds many exceptions. Beethoven was ugly as sin but bumped boots with dozens of wealthy court ladies. Liszt was hideous looking but 19th century women threw their panties at him. The appeal of great musicians is pretty powerful.

But baroque venues and audiences are very elegant; playing perfectly is assumed but looking the part is helpful. Probably not the deciding factor, but helpful.
Here's how far we went with "best players play".
I played softball at a high level when I was younger, some of it was coed.
Most coed teams are guys playing with their girlfriends or some cute girls that they wanted to hook up with.

Not us. We actively recruited lesbians. The more butch, the better.
This was in the late 80's / early '90's and no one was out. But we knew some and they had friends and pretty soon all of our "girls" were "guys".
Nobody else did this, so we got all the best players. They could really play.
We seriously beat down some of those pretty girl teams. If not for mercy rules we would've scored 100 runs on some of them.

After awhile the women went out on their own, kept getting better and won back to back Illinois State titles in the mid 2000's.
I like to think we were innovators, ahead of our time. Best players play wins championships!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
I've seen classical musicians and they seem averagely attractive and not all are thin. I guess if you want to be a premier soloist like Lindsey Sterling then maybe, but other than that? I just don't see it. Not like an actress, for example.

Hey, you do what you feel you need to do. What I said in my other post still holds. Instead of trying to diet your way down to some obligatory skinny number you can maybe workout to firm things that need firming and give you the appearance of being fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss