Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,303,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
ride bike daily
Hard to ride a bike when there's a foot of snow on the ground!
Not that I would do that anyway. Last time I rode a bike was the day before I got a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:50 AM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Never rely on a scale. As another poster states, it sabotages most people. I go by fitness goals mainly, and then clothing. I refuse to get larger sizes so that forces me to maintain a certain weight if I don't want to spend more money.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,099,483 times
I've recently started getting serious about losing weight. I rely on my scale daily.

I hear y'all on not relying on it...but it sounds like most of you are further along in your fitness journey than I am...and I can totally see how the scale becomes irrelevant for you.

Me? Getting on the scale daily keeps my goals in the forefront of my mind, and it keeps me more diligent about what I eat, and what decisions I make. It is a tool for me. And at THIS point, I need it.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:05 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,597,504 times
So let's throw away thermometers too. Why rely on a measuring device to determine our current physical state? Let's just spitball how sick someone is based on how warm their forehead is.

Don't argue that it's not the same thing, it's exactly the same thing.

I think that being scale-obsessed is awful. But being informed as to what your current weight is can be extremely important, particularly for those who are morbidly obese and where success isn't visibly obvious early on. But if you're 25 lbs or more overweight and justify the fit of your clothing as proof that your losing weight, you're potentially lying to yourself.

The fallacy that people replace stored energy weight (fat) with muscle at a near equivalent rate is ridiculous. If you think you lost five pounds of fat but replaced it with five pounds of muscle, it's most certainly wrong. Muscle may weigh more than fat by volume, but adding weight via muscle is very, very hard to do. Serious body builders add maybe 20-25 lbs in Year One while intensely working out six days per week. It's a pseudo-myth perpetrated by people trying to feel better about their lack of progress.

Keep the scale around, weigh-in once a week on the same day at the same time and log it.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM

1,670 posts, read 1,501,438 times
I don't ask my scale to comment on my overall health of physical condition. I just expect it to tell me what I weigh.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Why rely on a measuring device to determine our current physical state?
I'm an Engineering Project Manager and "must measure" is genetic to our kind.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:52 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,629,184 times
What brand of scale from your experience is the most accurate and doesn't cost a fortune ?

Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
So let's throw away thermometers too. Why rely on a measuring device to determine our current physical state? Let's just spitball how sick someone is based on how warm their forehead is.

Don't argue that it's not the same thing, it's exactly the same thing.

I think that being scale-obsessed is awful. But being informed as to what your current weight is can be extremely important, particularly for those who are morbidly obese and where success isn't visibly obvious early on. But if you're 25 lbs or more overweight and justify the fit of your clothing as proof that your losing weight, you're potentially lying to yourself.

The fallacy that people replace stored energy weight (fat) with muscle at a near equivalent rate is ridiculous. If you think you lost five pounds of fat but replaced it with five pounds of muscle, it's most certainly wrong. Muscle may weigh more than fat by volume, but adding weight via muscle is very, very hard to do. Serious body builders add maybe 20-25 lbs in Year One while intensely working out six days per week. It's a pseudo-myth perpetrated by people trying to feel better about their lack of progress.

Keep the scale around, weigh-in once a week on the same day at the same time and log it.
I'm not advocating that people should get rid of scales. I just don't rely on them any more. Of course, I know that one doesn't replace fat with muscle. I *lift* and have been doing it for two years, so I know what goes into muscle building. I don't delude myself into thinking that weight gained is muscle, since I don't follow the protocol needed to build muscle mass.

I mentioned clothing size because my clothing sizes are not large. The largest size I own is a 10, and if I go past 10, then you'd best believe I'm going to get myself back down. This technique works for me, because I don't want to spend the $$$ I've spent re-doing my wardrobe. From an economic standpoint alone, this keeps my weight in check. When I was losing, seeing my clothes get baggier to me is far more gratifying and clearly shows progress. Why wouldn't it?

Another reference I use is the mirror. As I lost weight, I clearly started seeing more definition, abs, etc. I guess a scale is good when you need to see minute details, but in the bigger picture? I have a photographic journey of me from 220+ to 147.

I am prone to scale obsession and I've found that counterproductive. I would rather focus on fitness goals than obsessing over a dang number.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What brand of scale from your experience is the most accurate and doesn't cost a fortune ?
https://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Prec...22843142&psc=1

Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 AM

I like my scale.
Just had my biggest one week loss so far, 3.3 lbs!
I'm sure it's an outlier, but still...

Down 16.7 lbs, 9 weeks after adding IF to lo carb.
Two cheat days, one in late October and one on Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss