Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times

Advertisements

i am constantly craving sweets and then salty. usualy they are carbs. i am also addicted to fast food. i used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight, but i am now 80 lbs more than i should be!
i try to exericse but its the food addiction that is a real problem. i am afraid that my health is starting to deteriorate and i just plain feel unhealthy.
is there anything i can take to curb my cravings? i bet if i stopped eating these foods, i would lose most of it quickly.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
I suggest you try a low-carbohydrate diet. There are many to choose from, everything from Bernstein Diabetes Solution to Carbohydrate Addicts diet to South Beach to Atkins. You can learn more about them here:
Active Low-Carber Forums - Atkins Diet & Low Carb Support Message Boards

If you want to track your health, consult with your physician before starting a different way of eating and get some baseline labs done. Mine have improved so much since cutting the HFCS and refined sugars from my diet.

I wish you lots of success. Getting rid of the sugars/fast food/HFCS is like any other habit. Once you are over that hump, it becomes much easier. I do not seek out those kinds of foods anymore and I cut out the sugar very strictly last November.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM

thanks for the tip--and it's good to hear you have been successful.
i keep thinking, my body is craving something in this food, but i dont know what it is. i am sure it cant be the sugar and greese....

Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
thanks for the tip--and it's good to hear you have been successful.
i keep thinking, my body is craving something in this food, but i dont know what it is. i am sure it cant be the sugar and greese....
You get on the 'blood sugar' rollercoaster. Your body craves the food, so you eat it. Your blood sugar rises. Then the body releases insulin and ~bam~ your blood sugar crashes down low. You feel tired, hungry, shaky, need some food now - and then the vicious cycle repeats itself again.

Here is another article I found, interesting read:
Insulin and insulin resistance

(I am guessing you are insulin resistant like me since you are craving those carbs and you have put on the weight as well)

Old 04-08-2008, 05:41 AM

not sure if i am insulin resistant. i will read the article. i am so worries that they will tell me my sugar level is high. it hasnt happened yet, but the way that i have been eating all these years, i am guessing it could be inevitable unless i fix my way of eating before it comes to that.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am constantly craving sweets and then salty. usualy they are carbs. i am also addicted to fast food. i used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight, but i am now 80 lbs more than i should be!
i try to exericse but its the food addiction that is a real problem. i am afraid that my health is starting to deteriorate and i just plain feel unhealthy.
is there anything i can take to curb my cravings? i bet if i stopped eating these foods, i would lose most of it quickly.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You could go on a Vegetables and long grain brown rice diet, and you can eat as much as you want. As long as you eat nothing but that for two weeks you'll not only begin cleansing toxins but you'll lose weight. It is the basis of the Macrobiotic diet which has cured many people of Cancer.

If you want to take supplements to help with cravings you can go to Healthy Healing with is Dr Linda-Rector Paige's website and read the weight-loss> sugar craving section. She also has a really cool "self test" section where you can pinpoint certain health conditions you may have by answering the questionnaires she has. She has some great books. Healthy Healing is used as an A-Z reference by health food store owners across the country.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
I feel for you!! A while back i went on Atkins diet and i lost a lot of weight. What i found interesting, the more you eat carbs, the more you going to crave them. Atkins diet really help me to eliminate that craving. I suggest to try not to eat any sweets at all for a day or two, try to take over those cravings, i'm guessing will power comes handy in situations like this )
You will notice the less you eat of that stuff the less you would want to continue eating, and your cravings should go away. It might take a while, but you should be getting in control over your body, not your cravings.
Best of luck!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,561 times
findinghope,

I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to eliminate the carbs but the cravings are so intense I'm either ready to scream or the headaches/loss of energy make me unable to function.

I'm going to keep trying until I get it right. There must be something to eat that lessens the cravings but I haven't found it yet.

Good luck to you!

Dea

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
An old Haiku from my sensai:

First man wants carbs
Then carbs want more carbs
Then carbs rule man

Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
An old Haiku from my sensai:

First man wants carbs
Then carbs want more carbs
Then carbs rule man
I know this thread is five years old, but is anyone out there still following the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet?

I can still really vouch for the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. There's not much talk about it lately. I've got the book (the original one) and I've been following the guideliness for years and have maintained my weight pretty well, even through menopause. I dragged around some extra weight after my youngest was born, went on CAD, and dropped 20 pounds in no time. I followed the original book, not the later version (where it says you have to balance low carb vegetables and protein with your carbs). I ate (and still do) whatever I wanted for my daily "reward" meal (sometimes putting away more food than a third world country), but I didn't follow the later versions's recommendations about balancing low carb vegetables with the proteins and starches, or eating salads. I hardly ever ate any salads or non-starchy vegetables at all with my meals (I only liked peas, corn, beets and tomatoes), and the weight still dropped off steadily. My cholesterol has been excellent through the years.

I now grow a huge vegetable garden, and have since incorporated many different vegetables into my diet, but still try to follow the CAD guideliness. I usually eat only twice a day - black coffee for breakfast, a lunch of usually anything I want (as much as I want) always eaten within a 60 minute time limit, and a light dinner of just protein. I've even started eating a salad every day (I don't always want it, but I eat it) at my reward meal, like the book recommends.

Anyone else out there still on CAD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss