Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 02:24 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,706,532 times

Advertisements

I can sort of understand people's fears. It's not always about looking for an excuse not to lose weight.

As someone who gets pretty marked side effects from just about every drug out there, I would probably be on the support group freaking out. Well, actually, no I wouldn't. I would *never* consider taking a weight loss prescription drug because, yeah, I am that much afraid of side effects. This doesn't come from living in fear, but comes with a long history of bad reactions to back it up.

I think it's easy to be cavalier when you've always had really great luck with medications. Lots of my friends have taken various things with nary a side effect. I also have another group that gets sick with lots of meds. Now, that's not to say that there aren't some people who use it as an excuse. But weight loss medications have a history of being troublesome and have made the news more than once for nasty side effects. I wouldn't be too hard on these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 02:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,472,152 times
Instead of taking drugs with potentially dire side effects a better dietary course of action would be to just eat less.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,184,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Instead of taking drugs with potentially dire side effects a better dietary course of action would be to just eat less.
Why, yes it would. Why didn't I think of that?

Oh wait...I did. As have thousands, millions of others.

My choices are:

1. Eat less, tough it out. I call that either 'Grain and Drain' or 'White Knuckling the Protein Shakes!'
2. Eat more than I should, because I don't seem to have the same natural "stop now" switch like many or most people. Count calories, yes, and still be hungry, so....see previous. Then the guilt starts. Vicious cycle.
3. Exercise like a man possessed, continue craptastic eating. Steady-state.
4. Previous option, No. 3, PLUS forced healthy or high-protein eating. Become an athlete (again). White-knuckle the whole gall-damned-tricking-time, obsessing about food constantly, then falling off the wagon eventually (and spectacularly) like a rummy faced with a bottle Jack Daniels outside the saloon.

OR....

5. Try some of the new meds...four are FDA approved...which for many , or most, actually reduce appetite and make one want to a) be more cautious about our food choices and 2) after a little success, make us want to exercise more frequently and vigorously, as we should, for optimal health. It's a boost, and damned if it doesn't work.

5a. ...Leading to slow and steady weight loss, which is fine and dandy, because in about a year if all goes well I'll at least be where I should, ,weight wise, and then we'll work at "steady state". Getting back to figurative T=zero is a helluva lot better than the dial going the wrong way.

It's pretty much a matter of life and death at this point, okay? But hey: thanks for gross oversimplification of a heinous problem for many millions, and...nah, I'll self censor from here. Over and out.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
5a. ...Leading to slow and steady weight loss, which is fine and dandy, because in about a year if all goes well I'll at least be where I should, ,weight wise, and then we'll work at "steady state". Getting back to figurative T=zero is a helluva lot better than the dial going the wrong way.
I like slow and steady.
If I lose just half a pound a week, I'll get to my goal by Labor Day.
This isn't a race but I think I can do better than that. Most weeks I do.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,472,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Why, yes it would. Why didn't I think of that?

Oh wait...I did. As have thousands, millions of others.

My choices are:

1. Eat less, tough it out. I call that either 'Grain and Drain' or 'White Knuckling the Protein Shakes!'
2. Eat more than I should, because I don't seem to have the same natural "stop now" switch like many or most people. Count calories, yes, and still be hungry, so....see previous. Then the guilt starts. Vicious cycle.
3. Exercise like a man possessed, continue craptastic eating. Steady-state.
4. Previous option, No. 3, PLUS forced healthy or high-protein eating. Become an athlete (again). White-knuckle the whole gall-damned-tricking-time, obsessing about food constantly, then falling off the wagon eventually (and spectacularly) like a rummy faced with a bottle Jack Daniels outside the saloon.

OR....

5. Try some of the new meds...four are FDA approved...which for many , or most, actually reduce appetite and make one want to a) be more cautious about our food choices and 2) after a little success, make us want to exercise more frequently and vigorously, as we should, for optimal health. It's a boost, and damned if it doesn't work.

It's pretty much a matter of life and death at this point, okay? But hey: thanks for gross oversimplification of a heinous problem for many millions, and...nah, I'll self censor from here. Over and out.
If you think a pill is going to be the answer to your weight problems then by all means best of luck, keep us posted on your success.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,419,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The time to worry about side effects is when you actually have them, not before.
I have no idea about the side effects of the particular medication in question, but in general, I don’t think this is true. Conventional wisdom says that side effects stop when you stop taking the medication that caused them, but that is not always true. You can experience a serious side effect that you will have for the rest of your life even if you discontinue the medication that caused it. (Ask me how I know.) So, the time to worry about potential side effects and, in general, do your homework is before you start taking a medication.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:26 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I have no idea about the side effects of the particular medication in question, but in general, I don’t think this is true. Conventional wisdom says that side effects stop when you stop taking the medication that caused them, but that is not always true. You can experience a serious side effect that you will have for the rest of your life even if you discontinue the medication that caused it. (Ask me how I know.) So, the time to worry about potential side effects and, in general, do your homework is before you start taking a medication.
How do you know that you're going to have a side effect if you haven't had it?

Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM

841 posts, read 557,978 times
I read up on the side effects for a month or so before even getting the script for Contrave. I made the choice to start my first week with PM pills instead of AM pills so that I would be more apt to be at home if I got one of the side effects. I also started on a weekend. I wasn't fearful of the side-effects in a dangerous way, but more as in an embarrassing to get sick at work type thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss