Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 06:01 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times

Advertisements

So, I'm on a support group alias via a certain massive social platform (Ahem!). Support for Contrave users, a weight loss drug I'm on past 79 days. Hundred(s) of women, I'm one of a handful of guys.

Whatever you think about "better living through chemistry," know that every single Dr. that prescribes it also strongly suggests that proper diet and exercise are essential lifetime habits to successful weight loss, too. Popping pills and pounding cheeseburgers will avail you naught. I have my good and bad days, but let's just say the Contrave takes the edge off.

To that point, the drug works well for me, and most others, once an equilibrium is reached ("titration"). Not all, we see many fall due to nasty side effects, perhaps more than one might imagine. Not debilitating, just a bummer: sleeplessness, sleepiness, headaches, nausea, vomiting, vivid nightmares, other nasties all called out by the FDA in their fact sheet. A very few, far worse... and yes, they're off it fast as possible and will try something else.

Point is that a lot of women, mostly, join the forum and promptly post this, Day 0: "I'm looking forward to losing 400 lbs (or whatever) on Contrave, but deathly afraid to start due to the (mere possibility of) side effects. Help me!" ...Whereby ten other women will pipe up with , "you can do it!" or similar. I pipe up with, "Must be quite an experience to live with that level of fear day-to-day, assuming it permeates rest of your life, too? So how about this: which is the lesser evil, the mere *possibility* you *might* suffer side effects that *might* make you uncomfortable a week or so, OR the mathematical near-certainty that you'll die of coronary failure due to weighting 800lbs, never leaving the house, and being entirely sedentary?"

...And I'm the "bad guy?"

What is this "living in fear" when it comes to self-improvement? Have you ever not started a diet, or fresh eating plan, or other healthy change due to possibility of (whatever), some mindless fear of everything in life I guess? Please explain, I have a massive blind spot here apparently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Everyone handles things differently, especially when it comes to medications. Side effects can be very nasty. I freely admit that I was nervous about taking my blood pressure medication for the first time due to potential side effects. It didn't help that once you start, for the most part, there's no stop. I'll probably be on it for life. So I put off taking it for some time. Meanwhile, almost daily my blood pressure soared to 160/100 and beyond. Having dental procedures done was a challenge. One day, however, I came to the conclusion that you did - that if I continued to have my condition unmanaged, there was near certainty that I would get a stroke, whereas side effects are listed more as disclaimers. So I took it. Side effects ended up being nil and my pressure has been managed now for over a year.

However, I've never not started a diet or exercise regime for that matter based on fear of the unknown. Sometimes weight loss may need a medical approach. Obesity, and the problems that go along with it, is far more problematic than rashes in uncomfortable places.

How are you doing on Contrave?

Old 02-06-2019, 08:03 AM

880 posts, read 532,716 times
Living in fear is their excuse to not change, when you say you are fearful people come to support and encourage you. What's really going on is fear of change. Like you mentioned the diet pill is not magic, lifestyle, eating habits, all that has to change. I can guarantee that the medication these folks are on due to their weight has a whole host of side effects but they popped those pills more readily because they didn't have to change their diets or lifestyle.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,263,580 times
The time to worry about side effects is when you actually have them, not before.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM

924 posts, read 1,678,944 times
OP, what you are missing is that this is a "support group." By definition, it is people seeking support, not the ones that are "okay, I've got this." The majority of them are going to be fearful of at least one if not every aspect of it, but most importantly, the possibility of failure. If those dreaded side effects kick in, then what? An ordeal getting back off the drug, still stuck at the same weight, fewer options than before...

Since it appears you have been on the drug and seeing the benefits without the side effects, simply relaying your positive experience would be very supportive. Do that. If you don't understand a person's need to have their hand held through this, than don't try to figure it out. Offer your positive experience, because that too is helpful.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:29 PM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
OP, what you are missing is that this is a "support group." By definition, it is people seeking support, not the ones that are "okay, I've got this." The majority of them are going to be fearful of at least one if not every aspect of it, but most importantly, the possibility of failure..
Right, and people are looking for support, not a lecture and smug comments. Making a big change is difficult and yes, scary, and they need positive encouragement.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
OP, what you are missing is that this is a "support group." By definition, it is people seeking support, not the ones that are "okay, I've got this." The majority of them are going to be fearful of at least one if not every aspect of it, but most importantly, the possibility of failure. If those dreaded side effects kick in, then what? An ordeal getting back off the drug, still stuck at the same weight, fewer options than before...

Since it appears you have been on the drug and seeing the benefits without the side effects, simply relaying your positive experience would be very supportive. Do that. If you don't understand a person's need to have their hand held through this, than don't try to figure it out. Offer your positive experience, because that too is helpful.
First paragraph makes sense, I hadn't thought of it that way: I (could not, cannot) empathize but perhaps can sympathize, a subtle distinction. It is/was the total timidity at not even trying that irked me, hence the post.

Next, yes: I leave a lot of "buck up!" male-type messages to various posters. I'm lucky and/or typical that my side effects have been modest, though this drug is definitely not for the timid as first few weeks it seems like damn near everyone has some downright weird side effects.

As that goes, we shall see how I feel in a year or so. I've never been much of a pill-popper for better living, but an appropriate Murphy's Law of Combat is, "If it's stupid and works, it isn't stupid!"

Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,931,032 times
I too have used Contrave for a little over a month. I too read everyone's reviews, and always keep in mind that everyone is different. It was never a fear of... "OMG that's going to happen to me". But, that's always been logic anyway. However, the first month I had no side effects at all. I actually thought the pills where weak and not effective at all. I have taken another prescribed weight loss drug which worked dramatically (a little to dramatic for me). Then BOOM.. itching all over.. I mean from my scalp to under my feet.. (Do you know how hard it is to scratch under your feet and the palms of your hands). Again I took a chance!

I think sometimes people use "living in fear" tactic as a cover up to their "future" failure (if you get what I mean). It's a pillow to protect their fall. People tend to have this thought that having a fear will keep them protected. Fear isn't saving us from harm! It doesn't preventing pain! Those who continue to live in fear are only keeping themselves in a state of fearful living then they could be living vibrant fulfilled lives.

PS.. I've joined WW (with the fear that it's a waste of money), free yoga classes (with the fear that I can't bend anyway possible), and have a new prescribed weight loss drug (with the fear that it won't work for me) ... I'm down 17lbs!!

Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I too have used Contrave for a little over a month. I too read everyone's reviews, and always keep in mind that everyone is different. It was never a fear of... "OMG that's going to happen to me". But, that's always been logic anyway. However, the first month I had no side effects at all. I actually thought the pills where weak and not effective at all. I have taken another prescribed weight loss drug which worked dramatically (a little to dramatic for me). Then BOOM.. itching all over.. I mean from my scalp to under my feet.. (Do you know how hard it is to scratch under your feet and the palms of your hands). Again I took a chance!

I think sometimes people use "living in fear" tactic as a cover up to their "future" failure (if you get what I mean). It's a pillow to protect their fall. People tend to have this thought that having a fear will keep them protected. Fear isn't saving us from harm! It doesn't preventing pain! Those who continue to live in fear are only keeping themselves in a state of fearful living then they could be living vibrant fulfilled lives.
First and foremost congratulations ! Buck up , keep the good work going !

Next, that's kind of trippy that you developed symptoms once on the full dose of Contrave. Other than some mild GI distress once in a while , which is not exactly a bad thing , and somewhat strange nights like last night where I was up a bit late and alert, things have gone very well . Yes, I understand that's a blessing . I'm down some modest amount in just under three months, something like 30 pounds . I'm not keeping exact numbers and we'll find out when I go see my nutritional doctor on Tuesday . I have always gained and lost weight pretty easily , so I'm giving myself a bronze Star for the previous versus a gold star . So to speak ...

Well good luck on the new product . For me so far this one is working better than the last , which sort of tapered off for me and my doctor didn't want me on that one long term anyway . I'm not sure people realize how well these pills actually work for most , it's pretty remarkable . And before any other readers get bent out of shape , that does not excuse us from proper diet and exercise ! Once you go on the meds, and start to see some results , people with problems such as myself frankly find it vastly easier to reengage in moderate exercise and think much more carefully about our dietary choices . That's all I'm saying .

This med, in particular, is almost literally taking the edge off . You really don't want to snack , and many sugary things and others not so good for you start to look actually disgusting . Don't ask me why, ask the FDA . As to why it works as an antismoking agent as well , good question .

Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,263,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm down some modest amount in just under three months, something like 30 pounds.
10 lbs a month is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss