Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:56 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Processed foods as in the wheat bread and the grapenuts? Or soy sausage or soy margarine? The peanut butter doesn't have any additives or sugar; it's just chopped peanuts. But I normally don't eat vegan cheese sandwich and chips. Or lunch. What I usually eat for OMAD is baby spinach salad with walnuts, or hummus or beans and rice. Usually not processed foods.
I meant the soy cheese, and sugar free syrup etc. which are the things you shared.

I think trying to combine and maintain multiple diets will not be successful, such as your snacking which completely invalidates the point to fasting.

But I am not diet (weight loss) oriented at all, except for rare exceptions. I'm just for a variety of whole, healthy foods. BTW, most wheat bread is barely a step above white, but there are some healthy options out there.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 10:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I meant the soy cheese, and sugar free syrup etc. which are the things you shared.

I think trying to combine and maintain multiple diets will not be successful, such as your snacking which completely invalidates the point to fasting.

But I am not diet (weight loss) oriented at all, except for rare exceptions. I'm just for a variety of whole, healthy foods. BTW, most wheat bread is barely a step above white, but there are some healthy options out there.
There wasn't any snacking, just a meal additional (twice) to the morning OMAD I've been following for about seven months now. The vegan cheese sandwich and the pancakes were an anomaly. My point was that I turned to these foods because of stress.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
I have that spice in my cabinet and I never use it. Can you provide an Amazon link to a good quality tumeric?
The spice lacks the potency of the extract. It's great for cooking if you like those flavors but the supplement is called Turmeric Circumin.

I take this product and have for years. I had severe joint pain in my hip area and have all but forgotten about it. Right now they have a 2 for 1 special and they have a small shipping charge of about $3 or $4. So you can figure out the price per dose that way. https://www.pipingrock.com/curcumin-...-capsules-2911

I take 1000mg a day. It is standardized to 95%. It's important that it contains the black pepper to help with absorption.

You could take more than 1000mg. 500mg is enough for some. There would be no harm in taking more. As with most supplements it will probably take at least a week to build up in your system.

Amazon has a lot of different products.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=curcumin&...price-asc-rank

It is also known to be anti-cancer among other things.
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abo...apies/turmeric
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758121/

Last edited by gguerra; 03-21-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The spice lacks the potency of the extract. It's great for cooking if you like those flavors but the supplement is called Turmeric Circumin.

I take this product and have for years. I had severe joint pain in my hip area and have all but forgotten about it. Right now they have a 2 for 1 special and they have a small shipping charge of about $3 or $4. So you can figure out the price per dose that way. https://www.pipingrock.com/curcumin-...-capsules-2911

I take 1000mg a day. It is standardized to 95%. It's important that it contains the black pepper to help with absorption.

You could take more than 1000mg. 500mg is enough for some. There would be no harm in taking more. As with most supplements it will probably take at least a week to build up in your system.

Amazon has a lot of different products.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=curcumin&...price-asc-rank

It is also known to be anti-cancer among other things.
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abo...apies/turmeric
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758121/
Okay, thank you; I'll try it.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Three lbs is nothing. Excretion/elimination can take care of that over the course of a week. Any weight gain that you have is most likely a calorie problem, not a carb problem. Your body is used to this one a day meal plan and then you throw curve balls by occasionally eating more than once a day. then you don't mind your calories (which I think is a great way to gain weight down the road, but that's here and there).

You can easily consume your daily allotment in calories in one sitting, so adding more food can take you over the top. nuts aren't low calorie, neither are nut butters. A mere two table spoons is about 200 cals. And then your exercise has decreased.

Being a vegetarian, trying to strictly follow keto is a disaster as far as I'm concerned. Of course it can be done, but it's terribly restrictive. Doing strict keto, you shouldn't be eating beans. And if carbs are the enemy, then you need to ditch the beans and rice and really all legumes other than soybeans I guess. Legumes are cornerstones of a healthy vegan diet, so I'd think that would be a terrible idea. What you need to do is count your calories at least for a week and see the pattern over time before you make conclusions. Also, didn't you reach your goal?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Three lbs is nothing. Excretion/elimination can take care of that over the course of a week. Any weight gain that you have is most likely a calorie problem, not a carb problem. Your body is used to this one a day meal plan and then you throw curve balls by occasionally eating more than once a day. then you don't mind your calories (which I think is a great way to gain weight down the road, but that's here and there).

You can easily consume your daily allotment in calories in one sitting, so adding more food can take you over the top. nuts aren't low calorie, neither are nut butters. A mere two table spoons is about 200 cals. And then your exercise has decreased.

Being a vegetarian, trying to strictly follow keto is a disaster as far as I'm concerned. Of course it can be done, but it's terribly restrictive. Doing strict keto, you shouldn't be eating beans. And if carbs are the enemy, then you need to ditch the beans and rice and really all legumes other than soybeans I guess. Legumes are cornerstones of a healthy vegan diet, so I'd think that would be a terrible idea. What you need to do is count your calories at least for a week and see the pattern over time before you make conclusions. Also, didn't you reach your goal?
I'm not a vegetarian, I'm a vegan. I do eat beans, especially the garbanzos in hummus which I make from scratch.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
I've been eating OMAD, which is a 23 hour fast per day, but also had lunch twice in the last week, and been eating things like vegan pancakes with sugar-free syrup and sugar-free peanut butter, vegan cheese sandwiches and chips. Bad idea. I've gained 3 pounds!

Carbs are the problem. I think I finally get it.
That's one huge lunch. I'm a glutton but there's no way I could eat 5,000 calories in one meal. That's pretty impressive.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Carbs are the problem. I think I finally get it.

Yes. People are finally waking up to this. Too many people are having success with low-carb diets. It's not only the cure for obesity but a whole host of other chronic conditions.

Don't eat any carbs/sugars - live longer. It's simple.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,398 times
Quote:
It's your truth and your opinion but it doesn't take autophagy into account. You're in fact completely wrong, IMHO; I'm seldom hungry and definitely not piggng out.
Why are you putting on weight then ?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yes. People are finally waking up to this. Too many people are having success with low-carb diets. It's not only the cure for obesity but a whole host of other chronic conditions.

Don't eat any carbs/sugars - live longer. It's simple.
No its not that simple. Not all carbs are the enemy and whole grains provide fiber and nutrients. Actually the diet that provides the best of all foods is the Mediterranean diet.

Dieting and losing weight comes down to one simple equation. You must burn more calories than you consume. How an individual decides to do that is up to them. There is no 'one size fits all'. Low Carb, KETO, Paleo, CICO, OMAD, Intermittent fasting are all choices that will get you to your goal IF, and that is a big if, you have the commitment to follow that diet. The trick is to find one that you can live with permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss