Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times

Advertisements

I listened to Episode 24: Low Carb MD Podcast and this most recent one mentioned something which I found interesting and perhaps will be useful to others. These podcasts are interesting, to me, despite they don't support vegan IF.

One of the docs said that frequently, their peri- and post-menopausal patients exhibit the following (my outline):

1. Using IF, if they come in with their husband, he frequently loses a lot of weight at first (e.g., 75 lbs. in five months), while she may only lose a few lbs. a month--eating exactly the same diet.
2. Or if the female patient comes in by herself, she still doesn't lose much weight at first, though weight loss will speed up as her appetite decreases and especially if she adopts OMAD (One Meal a Day).

This is meaningful to me because I have also lost less than a pound a week (since I started last August), and I have been puzzled why my weight loss is so slow. The doc attributes this to hormone and metabolism issues which I really was not able to follow with any understanding.

The doc said he tells the female patients to keep doing IF (and OMAD) and that they will continue to make progress, plus benefit from autophagy which he apparently believes is a real function that affects humans, not just lab mice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I listened to Episode 24: Low Carb MD Podcast and this most recent one mentioned something which I found interesting and perhaps will be useful to others. These podcasts are interesting, to me, despite they don't support vegan IF.

One of the docs said that frequently, their peri- and post-menopausal patients exhibit the following (my outline):

1. Using IF, if they come in with their husband, he frequently loses a lot of weight at first (e.g., 75 lbs. in five months), while she may only lose a few lbs. a month--eating exactly the same diet.
2. Or if the female patient comes in by herself, she still doesn't lose much weight at first, though weight loss will speed up as her appetite decreases and especially if she adopts OMAD (One Meal a Day).

This is meaningful to me because I have also lost less than a pound a week (since I started last August), and I have been puzzled why my weight loss is so slow. The doc attributes this to hormone and metabolism issues which I really was not able to follow with any understanding.

The doc said he tells the female patients to keep doing IF (and OMAD) and that they will continue to make progress, plus benefit from autophagy which he apparently believes is a real function that affects humans, not just lab mice.
For post menopausal women losing a half pound a week is a gift.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
For post menopausal women losing a half pound a week is a gift.
Really? Why is that?

Old 03-29-2019, 01:05 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,840 times
Quote:
Really? Why is that?
I wish I knew. I’ve struggled with too much weight for 6 decades. Any pounds lost crept back. At age 74, I eat little, work out regularly and can’t lose an ounce.

My only wisdom from all these years is for women who are unhappy with their weight—either lose the pounds before menopause OR make peace with the way you are. Now I just try to keep my blood sugar down and not gain.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I wish I knew. I’ve struggled with too much weight for 6 decades. Any pounds lost crept back. At age 74, I eat little, work out regularly and can’t lose an ounce.

My only wisdom from all these years is for women who are unhappy with their weight—either lose the pounds before menopause OR make peace with the way you are. Now I just try to keep my blood sugar down and not gain.
The podcast I linked to explains why but it's not my area of expertise, as they say. Possibly if I listened to it again, it would make more sense. But the knowledge was comforting, in a way, because the slow weight loss I've experiencd--despite a pretty tight OMAD for seven months--is apparently normal.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Really? Why is that?
I think it is because we lose muscle tone and hormones are different. Muscles burn energy, so when you have more your metabolism rises a bit. If you incorporate weight lifting to some degree in your workouts and actually build muscle your body will be more efficient.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I think it is because we lose muscle tone and hormones are different. Muscles burn energy, so when you have more your metabolism rises a bit. If you incorporate weight lifting to some degree in your workouts and actually build muscle your body will be more efficient.
Metabolism and hormones were what was mentioned in the podcast. It was lifting weights that caused the injury to my neck. Turmeric was recommended so I started that. Never had an injury like this before. But can't lift weights until it clears up, if it does.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:44 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Metabolism and hormones were what was mentioned in the podcast. It was lifting weights that caused the injury to my neck. Turmeric was recommended so I started that. Never had an injury like this before. But can't lift weights until it clears up, if it does.
You can do other exercises to build muscle tone without lifting weights. There are plenty of bodyweight exercises that you can do that will build muscle and focus on the lower body until your neck clears up. Hopefully it clears up soon. I did something to my shoulder/rotator cuff back in the fall and it seemed to take forever to improve. I really had to limit the upper body workouts for a while.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You can do other exercises to build muscle tone without lifting weights. There are plenty of bodyweight exercises that you can do that will build muscle and focus on the lower body until your neck clears up. Hopefully it clears up soon. I did something to my shoulder/rotator cuff back in the fall and it seemed to take forever to improve. I really had to limit the upper body workouts for a while.
Body weight exercises? That don't strain the neck in any way?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
If lifting any weights hurt your neck your form is off. Once you are healed make sure you are doing the lifts correctly. The only thing that should be effected is the muscle/s you are using. If you can lift in from to a mirror you can get an idea. Or you can hire a trainer to walk you through your lifts.

You can still work your lower body - squats and lunges should not be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss