Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 02:23 AM

21,928 posts, read 25,275,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Many, many people are really turned off if you mention veganism, though I do think it will be the diet of choice for the future. What seems odd to me is that sometimes it's characterized as a "restriction." It's not the way I would characterize it, as if vegans really want to eat meat but are restraining themselves. See:

Eating meat will be considered unthinkable to many 50 years from now
https://www.vox.com/2019/3/27/181743..._vPwj9E1J9fbh8
At least according to the vegan touting psychologists anyway.

Personally, I doubt it will be surprising to anyone in my lifetime. I might not make it the full 50 years (I'd be mid 80s), but likely pretty close. Doesn't bug me if people want to eat vegan. Doesn't mean I'm not going to eat a hamburger in front of them though. Several members of my family have been vegan. They all gave it up after and went back to mostly vegetarian, which is more or less how I eat anyway. People get turned off whenever they hear vegan because life experience teaches them a preaching is about to follow. Fortunately my family were never the preachy vegans.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-21-2019 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,284,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Doesn't bug me if people want to eat vegan. Doesn't mean I'm not going to eat a hamburger in front of them though.
I'm in the "you do what you gotta do and I'll do what I gotta do" camp.
It would be different if I were married to a vegan... obviously some accomodation would have to be made.

I've never tried to be a vegan so I'm not going to say I couldn't do it.
But I think would have a real problem with the no egg and no dairy thing.
The compromise is to personally verify that the animals are well treated and purchase it directly from a farmer.

But what I'm doing works. I tend to be a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-21-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss