Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I substitute turkey breast with half a cup of turkey gravy for the chicken quite often.
Do that and you basically got Thanksgiving dinner.
Who doesn't like Thanksgiving dinner?

There's also a big difference between 700 and 1400 calories.

To get to 1400, I'm adding:
Olives and tomatoes to the salad.
And cup of raspberries.
And a cup of blackberries.
And a 1/4 cup of peanuts.
And an Atkins Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll.

Basically, a snack and three desserts.
BTW... I'm not saying that everyone should eat the same stuff I do.
It's just an example of how much you can eat without taking in a large number of calories.
As you can see, it's possible to eat quite a lot.

I used chicken and turkey for the meat because they seem to really kick weight loss into high gear.
I see now why bodybuilders and fitness athletes eat a lot of chicken. Chicken eating works. But I change this stuff all the time.
The constants are the salads and the hard boiled eggs. I use 4 different dressings on the salads to change them up.

Last month I had to work quite a bit, so I missed at the Y.
It made no difference in the amount of weight I lost.
I feel better when I do cardio, but one could also walk the dog, do some gardening or go to the gym five days a week to feel better.

Last edited by eaton53; 04-22-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Here's the thing, you can only estimate how many calories you burn each day. Even with all the great trackers and supporting software, it's at best an educated guesstimate.

But if you track what you consume, you can get reasonably close to understanding how to adjust in order to create a weight-losing energy deficit.

The general rule is that you burn between 100-125 calories per mile of movement. To create a meaningful energy deficit you would need to increase how much you move each day to be the equivalent of, say, 250-400 calories, or about 2.5-4.0 miles. If you run, that's about 40-50 minutes and if you walk, somewhere closer to 60-90 minutes. But you can generate the same relative calorie adjustment by cutting back a little bit here and there.

What's easiest for a person, to eat a slightly smaller portion or two during the day or find time to pack equipment/clothing for a workout, get to wherever that workout takes place, change, workout, change back and then travel to the next place?

Weight management success is found in creating an ideal relationship between food choices and individual needs. Exercise helps in so many ways but makes for the lousiest of weight-loss techniques.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
When I was young I was able to do this; I would just stop eating and do a massive amount of riding, swimming and playing tennis. I stayed slender. I was also smoking, which was one of the stupider things I've ever done. Young women in my circle were expected to stay slim and no one looked too closely at how they managed that.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
So long as I can cycle hard at least 3 times a week for about 2 hours each time I can pretty much eat and drink whatever I want and my weight will still drop. If I cannot then I simply cut back some on the quantity of food.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I was young I was able to do this; I would just stop eating and do a massive amount of riding, swimming and playing tennis. I stayed slender. I was also smoking, which was one of the stupider things I've ever done. Young women in my circle were expected to stay slim and no one looked too closely at how they managed that.
That would still be a diet. The OP wants to know if not changing one's diet and exercising will cause weight loss.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I did cardio at home for 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week for 3 months, was at 75%-80% of my target heart rate each time, still ate more than I should. Never lost a pound, never lost a single millimeter. Had to stop cardio when I got the flu, but within those 3 months, nada.

Maybe it's just my body type. I'm lucky to only have belly fat, and it's been killer trying to lose a single millimeter.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
As someone who used to 50 minutes of cardio four times a week, and 45 min weightlifting sessions three times a week, I can tell you that no you can't rely on exercise by itself for weight loss. However, doing that in conjunction with an appropriate diet (one that achieves a caloric deficit) will see appreciable results.

Weightlifting really made the difference with me. Muscle makes you appear leaner and your fat is better distributed. I'm doing mainly cardio now due to my injury and it's just maintenance mode. My muscle tone has diminished but I hope to get it back soon.

People can lose weight just by dieting, but I can't say that the results are the same body-wise - fit and firm vs. looking like someone who has lost a lot of weight.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well, not totally but, most of my dieting attempts have been cutting back on food and then, if I did exercise, not doing it until I started to get stuck. However, I think this process has simply made me larger.

So my new goal is not to cut back on food that much but rather attempt to do the vast majority of my deficit via exercise.The reason is that I think cutting back on food causes my BMR to drop severely.

I keep thinking of Oprah and how at one point she became an exercise hound but gained it all back when she had an injury.

But it seems like the slightest calorie deficit causes my BMR to reduce so I have to keep my food as close as possible to it.
All kinds of new evidence that exercise doesn’t help you lose weight but indeed prevents it, just google “Exercise doesn't help you lose weight“. Here’s one article:

https://www.gaiam.com/blogs/discover...ou-lose-weight

Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm doing mainly cardio now due to my injury and it's just maintenance mode. My muscle tone has diminished but I hope to get it back soon.
That's one of the problems with depending on exercise.
At some point you're going to have an injury, so you need to have your diet down so you don't blow up.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Well, maybe triathletes and marathon runners can, but how many people can do that?
My nephew was an Olympic Gold and Silver medalist in swimming- 2008 and 2012 Olympics. When he was younger, but old enough to travel with his team and without them, his parents worried because he was a picky eater and training burned up so many calories that his times would suffer if he didn't eat enough. He tweeted a picture of a giant meal after one of his wins in London- a pile of McD's stuff. I think it was one of everything on the menu. I worked with a woman who'd been on Harvard's swim team and she said that when she was in HS and they had to log their diets for a Nutrition project, her intake was so much the teacher thought she was making it up.

Yes, they're the exceptions! I'm happy to say that both kept their athletic builds after they got office jobs so I suspect they scaled back their eating accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss